IPM Specialist(894 Views)
The Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock is implementing “On Farm Water Management (OFWM)” Project, financed by the Afghanistan Reconstruction Trust Fund (ARTF), in five (5) regions, namely: Kabul, Nangarhar (Jalalabad), Balkh (Mazar-i-Sharif), Baghlan and Herat.
The overall development objective (PDO) of the OFWM-Project is to improve agricultural productivity in the Project Areas by enhancing the efficiency of water used.
A Kabul-based Project Management Unit (PMU) headed by the Project Manager, with the assistance of Core Team of Specialists, is responsible for execution of the project. Five Area Teams: one each in Kabul, Nangarhar (Jalalabad), Mazar-i-Sharif (Balkh), Bamyan and Heart, have been established for implementation of field activities.
The project started its implementation from March, 2011 for a period of 3 years and is being monitored by Worlds Bank. The project closing date has recently been extended up to April 2016. The project has received additional fund from the World Bank (the Bank) and the period of the OFWMP has been extended to December 2019.
Part A: On-Farm Water Management
1. Carrying out social mobilization for the establishment of Irrigation Associations (IAs) in the Project Areas, including, inter alia, the provision of: (a) training to communities in organization and management of IAs; (b) facilitation services for communities to develop the IAs’ internal legal rules and regulations (by-laws); (c) assistance to IAs in order for them to be registered under the Water Law (1388); and (d) technical training to IAs regarding water distribution, maintenance of irrigation infrastructure, irrigation methods, water-saving techniques, crop-water requirements, and good agronomic practices.
2. (a) Carrying out rehabilitation works to small irrigation schemes or tertiary canals (watercourses) covering approximately 40,000 hectares in total in the Project Areas, including, inter alia: (a) rehabilitation of existing intakes, (b) canal lining; (c) construction of control structures and outlets; (d) construction of, culverts, laundry basins and cattle troughs; and
(b) Improving design standards and strengthening the private sector’s capacity for contract management and construction techniques.
3. Establishing easily accessible pilot irrigation demonstration sites in the Project Areas to showcase improved water management practices/technology and agronomic water saving techniques/measures, as well as proper farm planning and layout for an efficient use of irrigation water.
Part B: Institutional Strengthening and Capacity Building of MAIL
Developing the institutional capacity of MAIL to plan, design, implement and monitor irrigation programs, including, inter alia: (a) construction and/or renovation of office buildings, one each in Kabul, Jalalabad, Baghlan, Mazar-e-Sharif and Herat, respectively for MAIL and Project staff; (b) strengthening of MAIL’s Directorate of Irrigation at national, provincial and district levels; (c) strengthening the legal framework for the irrigation sector, (d) developing a national irrigation program, (e) undertaking of technical training in the irrigation sector including study tours transferring on-farm water management know-how; and (f) developing a database covering irrigation systems throughout the country.
Part C: Project Management, Coordination, Monitoring & Evaluation
Strengthening the institutional capacity of MAIL for Project implementation, policy development, and technical innovation, monitoring and evaluation, by establishing and maintaining a Project Implementation Unit comprised of a Kabul-based core team, five (5) Project Area Teams and internationally recruited experts.
Part D: Support for Productivity Enhancement
1. Establishing easily accessible pilot irrigation demonstration sites in the Project Area to showcase improved water management practices/technology and agronomic water saving techniques/measures, improved agronomic and social management practices, as well as proper farm planning and layout for an efficient use of irrigation water.
2. Promoting land leveling and high-efficiency irrigation technologies in the Project Area.
3. Establishing Information Centers for farmers at the provincial and district level in the Project Area.
|Date Posted:||03 Nov 2018||Reference:||MAIL/OFWMP/132|
|Closing Date:||16 Nov 2018||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||Agriculture||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Afghan||Salary Range:||As per NTA Salary Scale Policy10000.0|
|Contract Type:||Fixed-term||Years of Experience:||5 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||1 Year(s) & 0 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||Yes|
|Probation Period:||3 Months|
Duties and Responsibilities
The specific responsibility of the IPM Specialist would include but not limited to the followings:
1. Prepare a possible list of major pest and disease problems of the crops that are suggested as priority crops for demonstration and FFS in the operational manual in close coordination and consultation with IPM, NHL projects.
2. Review and identify the successful control and management practices developed by the above projects (IPM and NHLP) against each of the major pest and disease problems.
3. Prepare curriculum and training plan to incorporate the successful pest management practices in the trainings designed for capacity building of the provincial and district extension staff as well as training of farmers.
4. Prepare necessary information materials and guidelines on various successful pest management practices and distribute them to farmers and provincial and district extension staff in consultation and coordination with the IPM and NHL projects to address the pest problems on time.
5. Introduction of mechanical, biological and cultural methods for control of pest and disease, e.g., crop rotation, use of predators, etc.
6. Prepare a pest management plan for the project and coordinate with other project staff and the Provincial Heads of Agriculture Extension to execute the plan.
7. Operationalize the Pest Management Plan with the plant protection and quarantine directorate (PPQD).
8. Organize regular field visits to assess the performance of demo plots and provide necessary technical support to demo/FFS farmers and district extension staff to address the pest problems on time.
9. Work as trainers for IPM in all regular training courses of the project, especially for component 2.
10. Maintain close coordination with all other project staff and the Provincial Heads of Agriculture Extension to ensure smooth implementation of the plans prepared for component 2.
11. Organize need based training courses on pest management for important crops for farmers and agriculture extension staff from the district and provincial level.
12. Participate in review activities of demo and FFS plots and other review workshops organized by the project to review and draw new plans for pest management.
13. Help OFWMP, and MAIL to establish an implementation arrangement for the IPM approach in the country.
14. Ensuring the timely presentation of technical and progress reports.
15. To perform other duties as assigned
Travels to Provinces
Require Travels to Provinces
*A minimum of Bachelor’s degree in agriculture with focus on plant protection.
*At least 5 years of work experience in related fields.
* At least 2 years’ experience in similar position.
*Professional, relevant experience in Afghanistan required.
*Familiarity with Agriculture and specifically Extension issues in Afghanistan is highly desirable
*Familiarity with project management approaches, tools and phases of the project lifecycle.
*Able to work effectively at all levels in an organization.
*Excellent active listening skills.
*Problem solving and root cause identification skills.
*Strong analytic and decision making abilities.
*Must be a team player and able to work with and through others.
*Ability to take direction and to focus on and follow through on priority activities and assignments.
*Ability to handle effectively multiple tasks without compromising the quality, team spirit and constructive working relationships with all colleagues.
*Excellent organizational skills, detail-orientation and flexible work style.
*Demonstrated ability to handle confidential and/or sensitive information.
*Excellent English, Dari and Pashto communication skills required.
*Proficient in MS Office and internet applications are required.
*Fluency in English, Pashto and Dari is required
Afghanistan - Kabul: PROVINCIAL CENTER (KABUL)
AF AF 12
Bachelors Degree, Agriculture
Interested Afghans with the required qualifications and experience should submit their CV's with covering letter explaining how you meet the required competencies electronically through submission e-mail or should submit their applications in writing (clearly indicating on the sealed envelope the Reference No of the position) to: Human Resources Department, On-Farm Water Management Project, MAIL, Pamir Building 7th floor.
Kindly make sure to write the reference number of the position in the subject line of your emails, otherwise your CVs may not be considered for the further process.
The Subject line should be ( MAIL/OFWMP/132 )
Note: The necessity for ensuring the highest standards of efficiency, competence and integrity remain the paramount considerations in the employment of personnel. In the interests of open and fair competition and a merit based selection process applicants are advised that lobbying for a position , whether by the applicant or by any person acting on his or her behalf, shall result in the immediate disqualification of the candidate from further consideration. And to ensure fairness and transparency, selection will be made on a competitive basis through a selection panel
|More jobs in this category|
|Horticulture Trainer at The Liaison Office||Multi Cities||21 Jan 2019|
|Driver at MAIL/OFWMP||Nangarhar||19 Jan 2019|
|Agronomist at MAIL/OFWMP||Herat||19 Jan 2019|
|Water Management Specialist at MAIL/OFWMP||Herat||19 Jan 2019|
|Social Organizer (NRM) at DACAAR||Nangarhar||21 Jan 2019|
|Agribusiness Development Specialist at MAIL/HVCDSP||Kabul||21 Jan 2019|
|Horticulture Development Specialist at MAIL/HVCDSP||Kabul||21 Jan 2019|
|Resource Management Advisor at Ministry of Agriculture Irrigation and liv..||Kabul||20 Jan 2019|
|Exhibition Management Specialist at Ministry of Agriculture Irrigation an..||Kabul||20 Jan 2019|