HMIS Database Developer(675 Views)
About Ministry of Public Health
In March 2003, the MoPH had published its first version of the Basic Package for Health Services, describing the core of primary health care services that should be available to all Afghans. Since many of these services were to be implemented through different contracting mechanisms (Private Partnership Agreements and performance based grants), the need for a sound information system that would allow the MoPH to monitor progress of the BPHS implementation by its partners became all the more urgent.
Like many other parts of the health system, the HIS had suffered greatly over the last 23 years of turmoil. Despite obvious difficulties, efforts were made by the Ministry of Health and its partners to maintain at least a minimum of information flow. Early in 1999, a Task Force was formed, resulting in an HIS for outpatient visits that was implemented starting in March 2000. The Afghanistan National Health Resources Assessment (ANHRA), conducted in the summer of 2002, found that about 2/3 of all functioning facilities had copies of the HIS forms available. However, few of the reports were finding their way to the central HIS unit in the MoH. The data collected were inconsistently used for action at the local level and focused principally on reporting disease morbidity rather than on providing data about services and resources that might be helpful in improving health services management.
The planned rapid expansion of health services under different grants programs to NGOs called for an HMIS that allowed following the progress of BPHS implementation. Starting early in 2003, a revived HMIS Task Force collaborated with various other technical Task Forces to define policies and protocols for individual interventions. Given that there was no functioning uniform data aggregation and processing system, the Task Force decided to take the following approach:
1. Define indicators for each of the components of the BPHS;
2. Review existing data collection and report forms for appropriateness;
3. Draft new reporting forms;
4. Draft new data collection forms.
After review of the data collection tools in use by the various implementers of the BPHS, the MoPH decided not to impose standard data collection tools for fear of disrupting what was already working. It did, however, introduce the indicators for BPHS and developed standard reporting forms containing the minimum information that needs to be collected, analyzed and reported routinely.
To facilitate the above data collection, analysis and routine reporting system the HMIS department decided to develop an electronic format and use it nationally for better data quality, data management and data analysis. After having developed HMIS database on a very quality data model, implemented the database nationally soon after receiving few feedbacks from field it succeeded. Later on other programs such as EPI, TB, HIV, Blood bank and DDR felt the need of data in a bit more detail to manage and monitor their program and few of them developed a vertical parallel databases which raised the question of duplication and low quality of data there for HIS team decided to develop a data warehouse and align different part of HIS on a acceptable standards, later on, HMIS team integrated different database with HMIS database like , TBIS, Blood Bank, DDR, HIV EPI with HMIS and aligned the rest such as : HRMIS , Training database and CHW database with HIS information system.
The Database developer is responsible to assist the HMIS Department of the Ministry in the day to day management of the MOPH HMIS activities, ensures data integrity throughout the system, and timely and appropriate provision of information for decision making and reporting to the MOPH Departments and also support the HMIS, RBF, EPI, TBIS and Training Databases of the Ministry of Health (MoPH).
|Date Posted:||03 Nov 2018||Reference:||HMIS Database Developer|
|Closing Date:||16 Nov 2018||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||IT||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Afghan||Salary Range:||As per NTA Salary Scale Policy10000.0|
|Contract Type:||Consultant||Years of Experience:||3 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||0 Year(s) & 0 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||No|
|Probation Period:||3 Months|
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Assist the MIS Manager in design, development, documentation and maintenance of the central and provincial databases, which includes HMIS, TBIS, EPI, RBF.
2. Develop and run database reporting routines for reporting to MOPH, World bank, USAID, LMG and other partners
3. Ensure timely collection synchronization and reports generation of the HMIS Analysis database to related departments in the ministry, NGOs and other partners on quarterly bases.
4. Ensure timely data verification of RBF with HMIS data and reports generation of the RBF Database to third party and HEFD.
5. Maintenance and trouble shouting of routine HMIS,RBF, EPI, TBIS and Training databases.
6. Build the capacity of the NGOs and PHO HMIS officers and their related counterpart at the Provincial Health Office to run a decentralized information flow for HMIS through formal training, and on-the-job training.(This activity requires an average of once a month field travel)
7. Update the provincial hubs, data entry and analysis version of HMIS database for grantees and provinces with most recent structure, data and procedure changes (this activity may require field travel).
8. Assist GCMU Grants and M&E Consultants in verification of HMIS data in NGO reports.
. Advance knowledge of MS access program
. Experience teaching skills in access
. Knowledge of SQL server and .Net programming languages (C# and VBA).
. Excellent interpersonal skill and the ability to work in a team-oriented environment
. Strong writing skills in English.
. Fluency in English, Dari and Pashto.
1. Having bachelor degree of computer science or equivalent in the field is preferred.
2. Having 3 years of work experience in the field of database development, including but not limited to developing and administration and experience of working in Afghanistan health management information system database is preferred.
3. Advance knowledge of MS access program
4. Experience teaching skills in access
5. Knowledge of SQL server and .Net programming languages (C# and VBA).
6. Excellent interpersonal skill and the ability to work in a team-oriented environment
7. Strong writing skills in English.
8. Fluency in English, Dari and Pashto.
E. Expected Deliverables
1. Develop and maintain TBIS, EPI,DDR, RBF and Training Database
2. Develop tools for advance data analysis of TBIS, EPI, DDR, RBF and training database
3. Find bugs and solved in TBIS, EPI,DDR, RBF and Training Database
4. Provide training for both end users and data analysts
Afghanistan - Kabul: PROVINCIAL CENTER (KABUL)
AF AF 12
Bachelors Degree, IT
Electronic applications will be sent to: sub e-mail which corresponds if any of following 2 items is missing, your application will be considered as ineligible/incomplete.
1. In your emails please specify the title of the position as well as vacancy number for electronic submissions and please do the same in the hardcopy submissions.
2. Updated Curriculum vitae (CV)/Resume (Please attached your recent photo and mention in your CV exact date/periods of your work experience, graduation Day, Month, and Year).
If you are shortlisted and invited for written test/interview you will be required to present the original, the following:
A. Education Documents: Your recent education degree/diploma
Copy of verified Baccalaureate (12 passed) degree by Ministry of Education
Copy of verified 14 or 15 passed degree by related Ministries
Copy of verified Bachelor Degree by Ministry of Higher Education
Copy of verified Medical Doctor Degree by Ministry of Higher Education
Copy of verified Master degree by Ministry of Higher Education
B. Copy of National Identity Card (Tazkira: Only the pages that show picture and Tazkira number, pages, place of issue and date of issue)
• Electronic applications will be sent to: sub e-mail .
• The Contact Person at Human Resources is: Mr. Mojib Rahimi, HR Officer, MoPH-GD HR. Phone number: 0093- (0)-700991056
Only shortlisted candidates will be invited to written test/interview and subsequent process. Please contact the person in charge (Mr. Mojib Rahimi ) for confirmation.
• No CVs will be accepted after the closing date.
• Any persuade will be threat as disqualification.
• Candidate who applies for the same position in last six months and was unsuccessful (Obtained less than 60% marks), will not be short listed.
• Fraudulent documents and or fraudulent claims in CVs and or documents will result in disqualification at any stage of the recruitment process.
Instruction for test and interview:
The test and interview will be taken from the following references:
1. Main points of the TOR.
2. Modern Database Management 10th Edition (By : 1.jeffery A.Hoffer ,2.V.Ramesh , 3.Heikki Topi)
3. Data Structure and Algorithms Using C# (By: Michael McMillan)
4. Exam-Ref-70-483-Programming -in-C-sharp
5. Exam-Ref-70-486 Developing Asp .net MVC Web Application
|More jobs in this category|
|IT Operations Associate at United Nations World Food Programme||Badakhshan||27 Nov 2018|
|ICT Officer- Female at FHI360/HEMAYAT||Kabul||20 Nov 2018|
|Officer - IS Security ( Re - Posting) at MTN Afghanistan||Kabul||22 Nov 2018|
|NOC Engineer at io Global Services Private Limited||Kabul||22 Nov 2018|
|Senior MIS Specialist (مرکز) at DABS||Kabul||24 Nov 2018|
|Manager Information Technology at Habib Bank Ltd||Kabul||20 Nov 2018|
|Database Manager at Moraa Educational Complex||Kabul||28 Nov 2018|
|Re - ( آموزگار کمپیوتر ( مرک.. at DABS||Kabul||16 Nov 2018|
|Assistant Manager IT Security at Afghanistan International Bank||Kabul||20 Nov 2018|
|Senior Officer Applications at Afghanistan International Bank||Kabul||20 Nov 2018|
|IT Specialist/ Officer at Agricultural Development Fund||Kabul||28 Nov 2018|
|Adjunct Instructor / Asst. Professor / Assoc... at American University of..||Kabul||30 Nov 2018|
|IT Admin at DK - German Medical Diagnostic Center Ltd.||Kabul||31 Jan 2019|