Creative Specialist (graphic style and branding)(728 Views)
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) promotes socially and environmentally sustainable human settlements development and the achievement of adequate shelter for all. It is the lead agency within the UN system for coordinating activities in the field of cities and other human settlements. Through drawing together cooperation with committed partners, relevant stakeholders, and urban actors, including at all levels of government as well as the private sector, UN-Habitat is applying its technical expertise, normative work and capacity development to implement the New Urban Agenda and Sustainable Development Goal 11 – to make cities inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable.
UN-Habitat established a presence in Afghanistan early 1992. The overarching vision of UN-Habitat’s work in Afghanistan is for prosperous, inclusive and equitable human settlements that reduce poverty and contribute to national stability and development. The mission of the UN-Habitat Country Programme is to transform lives through enhancing access to urban land, housing and services, while making systems and institutions responsive to people’s views and needs.
UN-Habitat’s Country Programme Strategy 2016-2019 is focused on three thematic focus areas:
Planned and Well-Governed Settlements to enhance the government’s capacity to guide the development of human settlements in a participatory, equitable and accountable manner while ensuring access to basic services;
Inclusive Settlements to improve access to affordable land and housing, services and infrastructure for all residents of human settlements with a focus on poor and female-headed households, including IDPs and returnees.; and
Prosperous Settlements to contribute to towns and cities being hubs of economic activity that generate sustainable employment and enable residents ─ particularly the young ─ to acquire productive skills.
Integral to each of these Focus Areas are cross-cutting issues of gender, youth, and development of national capacity, environmental protection and disaster risk reduction.
UN-HABITAT has presence in 10 provinces of the country, including five major cities and works in implementing its strategy through six programmes: Afghanistan Urban Peace building Programme (AUPP), Clean and Green Cities (CGC), City for All (K-SMNP and MGSP), Project for City Resilience (PCR) and the Promoting Early Recovery and Durable Solutions in Informal Settlements of Protracted Displacement and Regional Returns (PERDS- HLP-TF) and SHURA, Operations Division and Knowledge Management Unit (KMU).
This post is in the Knowledge Management, Unit (KMU) UN-Habitat office in Kabul, Afghanistan.
The overall objective of the Creative Specialist (graphic, style and branding) is to portray UN-HABITAT projects in Afghanistan accurately and effectively to a wide range of targets, including the Afghan people, the Afghan government, the United Nations and the donor community.
Under direct supervision of the Senior Communication and Outreach Officer and in close collaboration with the Creative Specialist (audio-visual and multimedia) and the Communication and Outreach Officer, the Creative Specialist (graphic, style and branding) will be responsible for the overall design and production of all visibility and audio-visual materials that effectively highlight the impact of programmes and projects of UN-HABITAT Afghanistan
|Date Posted:||26 Nov 2018||Reference:||2018-11-161|
|Closing Date:||12 Dec 2018||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||Designer||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Afghan||Salary Range:||As per company salary scale|
|Contract Type:||Contractor||Years of Experience:||2 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||1 Year(s) & 3 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||Yes|
|Probation Period:||6 Months|
Duties and Responsibilities
The Creative Specialist will perform the below duties:
- Produce visual images and designs for UN-HABITAT communication, design programme logos, brochures, pamphlets, banners, etc.
- Understand the purpose, strength and outcomes of UN-HABITAT activities to reflect their views in the products
- Take professional photographs of UN-HABITAT activities for various communication tools
- Develop guidelines for UN-HABITAT (especially provincial staff) for photographs and provide training
- Co-leads the production of advocacy materials including presentations and other visual materials;
- Work closely with KMU staff and programme teams in UN-HABITAT Afghanistan to produce communication tools and coordinate with regional communications officers in various provinces to gather information on UN-HABITAT Afghanistan projects to draft related communications products;
- Support other KMU staff where necessary and perform other related duties, as required;
- Perform any other relevant duties and administrative work assigned by the Head of KMU.
Travels to Provinces
Require Travels to Provinces
PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge and technical skills as a creative specialist, designer and photographer. Shows pride in work and in achievements; Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; Remains calm in stressful situations; Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; Asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; Tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; Is willing to learn from others; Places team agenda before personal agenda; Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
PLANNING & ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments; Adjusts priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; Uses time efficiently.
- University degree (Bachelor degree or equivalent) in Communication, Journalism, Public Relations or a Social Science field.
- Minimum 2 years of relevant professional experience in design, media, communication in government or reputed private either national or international.
- Expert knowledge of Adobe CC (Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Premier, Aftereffects) and advanced knowledge of MS Office (PowerPoint, Word and Excel)
- Exceptional creativity and innovation and detail-oriented personality
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Advanced graphic design skills with a strong portfolio
- Understanding of latest design trends and online publications
- Professional approach to time, costs and deadlines
- Excellent collaborative verbal and written communication skills
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Ability to adapt and respond to challenges, deadlines, emergencies, and a rapidly changing work environment.
- Demonstrated strong organizational, time management, multitasking and prioritization skills
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations. For the post advertised, fluency in Dari, Pashto and English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
- Good human relationships and communication skills and ability to work under tight deadlines.
Afghanistan - Kabul: PROVINCIAL CENTER (KABUL)
AF AF 12
Bachelors Degree, Designer
Interested Afghan National Candidates should submit their P-11 forms along with cover letter to : email indicating on the SUBJECT line the vacancy number of the position, please note that applications received after the closing date (12 December 2018) will not be given consideration. Only short-listed candidates whose applications respond to the above criteria will be contacted for an interview.
Note: Subject line must be: (2018-11-161) or your application may not be considered.
• Letter of interest which clearly indicates the VA number (2017-04-113);
• Updated and signed UN Personal History Form P.11 for Individual Contractor (IC)
Failure to comply with the above requirements (i.e. un-signed P11 forms, no indication of VA number) will result in rejection of the application.
For more details about UN-Habitat and UN-Habitat Afghanistan Country Programme refer Website: www.unhabitat.org and www.unhabitat.af
• UN-HABITAT is committed to gender balance in all functions and at all levels. Female candidates are therefore especially encouraged to submit applications.
• Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
• Only short-listed candidates will be notified or contacted.
|More jobs in this category|
|Graphic Designer at 365media||Kabul||31 Dec 2018|
|Graphic Designer at Albashir Exchange and MSP||Kabul||25 Dec 2018|