Legal Specialist(999 Views)
The International Development Law Organization (IDLO) is an inter-governmental development organization with headquarters in Rome and program offices in Kabul and several other provinces in Afghanistan. IDLO fulfils its mandate by providing training, technical assistance, research, and publication to governments, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), local communities, and professional associations in developing countries, countries in economic transition, and countries emerging from armed conflict. IDLO began working in Afghanistan in 2001 and has become a leading partner of Afghan government, donor countries and international agencies to achieve the common goal of strengthening the rule of law. Afghanistan has been an IDLO Member Country since 2012.
Reporting to the WPC Component Lead, the Legal Specialist will ensure that IDLO’s WPC Component activities support capacity building of the Women Protection Centers, the ASN members, defense lawyers and other relevant stakeholders in Kabul and targeted provinces. Further, the Legal Specialist will support the work done on law reform, policy development and implementation and advocacy initiatives related to the work of the WPC Component.
|Date Posted:||27 Nov 2018||Reference:||IDLO/SAJA/26/2018|
|Closing Date:||11 Dec 2018||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||Legal||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Afghan||Salary Range:||As per company salary scale|
|Contract Type:||Long-term||Years of Experience:||5 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||1 Year(s) & 0 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||Yes|
|Probation Period:||6 Months|
Duties and Responsibilities
Key results expected:
1. Training and Mentoring
• Build management capacities of the staff in Women Protection Centers programs and other partners, through training and frequent mentoring sessions;
• Deliver trainings in accordance with IDLO’s training methodology and adult learning principles and other awareness-raising activities with government institutions and undertake assessments and other program-related services;
• Develop reports upon completion of trainings, assessments, evaluations and/or interview and submit on a timely basis;
• Review existing legal and management training materials and develop new ones;
• Lead and ensure that all trainings are planned, organized, conducted, and closed-out according to IDLO’s policies and procedures.
• Contribute to identification of technical support and training needs;
• Provide post-training mentoring sessions with select trainees based on the Legal Aid Component’s mentoring procedures;
• Provide case specific legal and related advice and mentoring;
2. Legal Advisory
• Liaise with and support relevant stakeholders, partner WPCs, and government institutions to enhance the cooperation between the team and these entities to increase their capacities to address violence against women cases and to understand the role/responsibilities of the WPCs;
• Provide expert input and guidance on Afghan law and procedure, especially on legal approaches to support girls and women in crisis who seek assistance from WPCs and raise awareness about violence against women;
• Propose and assist in the implementation of legal strategies with partners and stakeholders to combat violence against women crimes that will complement the work of the team and government institutions;
• Carry out research and monitoring of legislation related to Women’s Protection Centers and other relevant provisions;
• Develop written weekly and quarterly reports of activities and provide to Component’s Program Assistant in a timely manner;
• Participate in coordination with IDLO/M & E as requested in assessments, evaluations, etc., with WPC staff and/or beneficiaries and share findings with M & E per request;
• Assist in drafting and editing legal documents generated by the WPC Component team;
• Keep the Lead/Manager and the COP apprised of specific issues of concern related to the WPC Regulation, Guidelines, related policies and issues/challenges facing the ASN;
• Facilitate the relationship between the ASN members and the Ministry of Women’s Affairs, Directorate of Women’s Protection Centers;
• As requested, represent IDLO/WPC Component at ASN meetings, MoWA Coordination Meetings and other meetings/events related to partner WPCs, etc.
2. Advocacy Initiatives
• Participation in the design/implementation of activities/workshops/conferences related to changing the public perception of women protection centers and WPC beneficiaries.
• Participation in the implementation of activities/workshops/conferences related to the sustainability of Women Protection Centers (income generation) and exit strategies (reintegration) of beneficiaries.
• Develop written weekly and quarterly reports of activities;
• Develop monthly progress on work plan implementation as well as other reports or information requested;
• Work with team to foster a team spirit in meeting objectives and goals; address possible conflicts in a positive and constructive manner;
• Encourage initiative and maintain effective working relationships within the country’s cultural context.
• Provide input and feedback as requested on the WPC Component Work Plan and provide timely feedback on the completion of activities/deliverables according to the work plan to the WPC Component Lead/Manager;
• Perform any other relevant duties as requested by the supervisor.
Travels to Provinces
Require Travels to Provinces
• Experience in capacity building and application of adult learning principles in a training/capacity development environment;
• Good analytical skills
• Experience in conducting/implementing advocacy initiatives/campaigns.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Good knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Proficient use of ICT software and the internet.
• Proven ability to see through tasks set and deliver results.
• Ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines, flexibility and an entrepreneurial spirit.
• Ability and willingness to travel within Afghanistan
• Keen sense of ethics, integrity, and commitment to IDLO’s mandate.
• A university degree in Shari’a Law or LLB degree, LLM would be an asset.
• Minimum 5 years of relevant experience, professional experience as a legal practitioner in criminal law as either a judge, prosecutor or lawyer, or a similar position within an Afghan justice system agency, NGO, or international organization.
• Fluency in English and Dari is required, knowledge of Pashto and Arabic would be an advantage.
Afghanistan - Kabul
AF AF 12
Bachelors Degree, Law
Please submit your Application to the email provided, and indicate clearly in the subject of your e-mail the position (Legal Specialist) and the Vacancy number (IDLO/SAJA/26/2018) you are applying. Please read the vacancy and make sure your experience and qualification meets the above criteria and if any application does not meet the requirements will not be considered.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for Test/Interview!
|More jobs in this category|
|Legal Aid Advocacy Specialist at IDLO||Kabul||16 Dec 2018|
|Legal Intern at Jabarkhail & Associates Legal Consultancy LLC||Kabul||19 Feb 2019|