Legal Aid Advocacy Specialist(931 Views)
The International Development Law Organization (IDLO) is an inter-governmental development organization with headquarters in Rome and program offices in Kabul and several other provinces in Afghanistan. IDLO fulfils its mandate by providing training, technical assistance, research, and publication to governments, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), local communities, and professional associations in developing countries, countries in economic transition, and countries emerging from armed conflict. The International Development Law Organization (IDLO) enables governments and empowers people to reform laws and strengthen institutions to promote peace, justice, sustainable development and economic opportunity. We contribute to creating stable and inclusive societies where every person can live free from fear and want, in dignity and under the rule of law. IDLO began working in Afghanistan in 2001 and has become a leading partner of Afghan government, donor countries and international agencies to achieve the common goal of strengthening the rule of law. Afghanistan has been an IDLO Member Country since 2012.
This position reports to the International Legal Aid Component Lead and will manage the components work with the legal aid providers in Afghanistan and the contributions of to the legal aid component will bring lasting change in the lives of indigent Afghans in need of legal aid and access to justice.
|Date Posted:||03 Dec 2018||Reference:||IDLO/SAJA/27/2018|
|Closing Date:||16 Dec 2018||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||Legal||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Afghan||Salary Range:||As per company salary scale|
|Contract Type:||Long-term||Years of Experience:||5 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||1 Year(s) & 0 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||Yes|
|Probation Period:||6 Months|
Duties and Responsibilities
The Legal Aid Advocacy Specialist will be responsible for the following:
• Support and advise the International Legal Aid Component Lead on all legal aid related developments.
o Remain up-to-date on all legal aid related developments in Afghanistan both within the government and civil society;
o Maintain a detailed understanding of all laws, regulations, policies, and initiatives relating to legal aid in Afghanistan;
o Maintain an understanding of the Afghan legal aid systems in a comparative context to be able to provide varied options and project intervention outcomes;
o Build and maintain close cooperative relationships with stakeholders in the legal aid sector such as the Ministry of Justice, the Afghanistan Independent Bar Association, and other members of the Afghanistan Legal Aid and Advocates Network (ALAAN).
o Build and maintain close cooperative relationships with international donors and implementers in the legal aid sector.
• Lead Legal Aid Component’s advocacy initiatives.
o Coordinate with national and international stakeholders to identify appropriate legal aid advocacy initiatives
o Serve as senior advisor to stakeholders in the development and implementation of legal aid advocacy action plans
o Develop and manage Legal Aid Component’s government relations outreach to ensure successful implementation of advocacy initiatives.
• Assure the quality and timeliness of IDLO’s legal aid related training.
o Coordinate with national and international stakeholders on identifying appropriate training topics.
o Supervise and/or assist in the drafting of training materials.
o Review, improve, and adapt training materials.
o Ensure that trainings are in line with IDLO and ALAAN’s strategic goals.
o Ensure that trainings are done according to IDLO’s policies and procedures.
• Assure the quality and timeliness of IDLO’s legal aid coordination activities
o Supervise the continued development, expansion, and data quality of the Legal Aid Online Database.
o Facilitate ALAAN meetings and legal aid workshops and conferences.
o Monitor and ensure smooth functioning of mentorship programs, research studies, and exposure visits, etc.
o Author, edit, and/or review public legal awareness materials, advocacy briefs, studies, reports, memoranda, etc.
• Perform other duties as requested by the International Legal Aid Component Lead.
Travels to Provinces
Require Travels to Provinces
• Proven experience successfully working with Afghan government, especially advocacy initiative activities and justice institutions.
• Strong understanding of Afghanistan’s legal framework.
• Proven experience in a supervisory capacity of human and financial resources and a track record in program administration.
• Familiarity with standard program and data management tools, as well as results-based management and monitoring and evaluation principles.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Good knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
• Good interpersonal skills with ability to see through tasks set and deliver results;
• The ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines, flexibility and an entrepreneurial spirit.
• Self-motivated and ability to use initiative to assist the organization to achieve its objectives;
• Professional experience in capacity development and rule of law programming would be an asset.
• Prior experience working on a US-funded project preferable.
• Ability to travel around Afghanistan and network with local officials.
• Keen sense of ethics, integrity, and commitment to IDLO’s mandate.
• Bachelor’s degree in law, Master’s degree in law preferred;
• Minimum of 5 years of program or project management experience focused on the rule of law development or similar field, preferably related to issues affecting legal aid and access to justice;
• Fluency in English and Dari is required, knowledge of Pashto would be an advantage;
Afghanistan - Kabul
AF AF 12
Bachelors Degree, Law
Please submit your Application to the email provided, and indicate clearly in the subject of your e-mail the position (Legal Aid Advocacy Specialist) and the Vacancy number (IDLO/SAJA/27/2018) you are applying. Please read the vacancy and make sure your experience and qualification meets the above criteria and if any application does not meet the requirements will not be considered.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for Test/Interview!
Note: DISCLAIMER AND CLOSING DATE The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Contractor assigned to this work. This may not be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The Director-General of IDLO reserves the right to amend or change responsibilities and/or even to cancel the recruitment without any notice to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.
|More jobs in this category|
|Legal Advisor at Ministry of Public Works (MoPW) Trans Hindukush Road Con..||Kabul||23 Feb 2019|
|Legal Awareness Officer at Coordination of Rehabilitation and Development..||Herat||20 Feb 2019|
|Junior Legal Professional at Rosenstock Legal Services||Kabul||01 Mar 2019|
|Staff Attorney at Youth in Action Consulting Company||Multi Cities||29 May 2019|
|Senior Lawyer at Kakar Advocates LLC||Kabul||31 Dec 2019|