Program Assistant, Curriculum Reform(688 Views)
About UNESCO Kabul
Background and context
A relevant, high quality curriculum is essential to ensuring education systems equip learners with the attitudes, skills, knowledge, and values to participate and contribute meaningfully to their communal and economic contexts. Whilst acknowledging the enormous progress made since 2002 in expanding access to education to all groups within society, the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan (GoIRA) now considers the improvement of quality in its education system to be a key priority in the next 5 years. Underpinned by broader concerns about learner achievement, the Government also seeks to improve the preparedness of youth for employment and better ensure its education systems foster the inclusiveness needed for continued national reintegration, in part by revisions and improvements to the education system.
The third National Education Strategic Plan (NESP III), positions improved quality alongside continued expansion of access to education and sector-wide management reform as its guiding priorities through to 2021. A critical component of quality improvement is comprehensive, evidence-based curriculum reform. A request was made to UNESCO by the Ministry of Education (MoE) to prepare the foundations for sector-wide curriculum reform. Through its Capacity Development for Education 2030 (CapED) program and in partnership with UNICEF and SIDA, the MoE has been supported to conduct national curriculum consultations, and draft its curriculum framework. Syllabi reform is in process, with a competence framework currently in its drafting phase, and work completed towards a first draft of the syllabus scope and sequence for each subject area.
UNESCO Kabul Office requires a Program Assistant to help achieve the goals of the curriculum reform program. The Program Assistant will possess an exceptionally strong command of Dari, Pashto and English (both written and oral), as well as knowledge and experience in curriculum development and familiarity with education-related terms.
|Date Posted:||03 Dec 2018||Reference:||KAB/ED/SC/18/12/02|
|Closing Date:||16 Dec 2018||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||2||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||Programme||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Afghan||Salary Range:||As per company salary scale|
|Contract Type:||Long-term||Years of Experience:||3 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||1 Year(s) & 0 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||Yes|
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Contribute to the delivery of technical, consultation and working meetings, workshops and events, including interpretation and co-delivery of content;
2. Translate documents and feedback provided by Ministry of Education from Dari/Pashto into English;
3. Translate documents and feedback provided by international experts from English into Dari/Pashto;
4. Translate the compiled and reviewed competences and other material relating to the curriculum program from Dari/Pashto into English;
5. Translate the final drafts of curriculum materials and all developed instructional materials into English from Dari/Pashto, and vice versa as deemed necessary by supervisors; and
6. Any other duties assigned by the Chief of Education.
A successful candidate will be required to demonstrate the following competencies:
Planning and organizing
Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement
• Advanced cross-cultural communication skills;
• High-level drafting and communication capacity in English, Dari and Pashto, written and oral;
• Excellent understanding of key aspects of education policy and practice in Afghanistan;
• Excellent time management skills
• Significant sensitivity and adaptability (cultural, gender, religion, race and nationality);
• Highly competent computer and other IT skills;
• Excellent independent working skills with a desire for life-long learning.
• Fluency in English, Dari and Pashto is an essential requirement, written and oral.
Primary expertise required
• An exceptionally strong command of Dari, Pashto and English, written and oral
• Knowledge and experience in curriculum development and familiarity with education-related terms is a strong asset.
• University degree (Bachelor’s or equivalent) in education, social sciences, development studies or related area.
• At least three years of professional work experience relating to high-level translation, including ministerial and UN documents
• Previous working experience in education in the government or international development cooperation sectors an asset.
Afghanistan - Kabul
AF AF 12
Candidates are requested to send their application to the UNESCO Kabul email before midnight on 16 December 2018 (Afghanistan time).
All applications must be submitted by email, including the position title in the email subject line. Applications should include the following:
a) An up-to-date UNESCO curriculum vitae;
b) A statement indicating how their qualifications and experience make them suitable for the assignment.
|More jobs in this category|
|DCOP - IMPLEMENTATION at DAI||Kabul||16 Dec 2018|
|Project Support Specialist at MISFA Ltd.||Kabul||24 Dec 2018|
|Monitoring & Evaluation Officer at Coordination of Rehabilitation and Dev..||Herat||20 Dec 2018|
|Project Coordinator at Afghanaid||Daikondi||30 Dec 2018|
|Gender & ESS Officer at WEE-RDP/MRRD:||Kandahar||18 Dec 2018|
|Gender & ESS Officer at WEE-RDP/MRRD:||Khost||18 Dec 2018|
|Gender & ESS Officer at WEE-RDP/MRRD:||Kabul||18 Dec 2018|
|DRR & Resilience Advisor to ANDMA at Afghanaid||Kabul||22 Dec 2018|
|Senior Reporting Specialist at WEE-RDP/MRRD:||Jawzjan||17 Dec 2018|
|Regional Enterprise Development (ED) Program .. at WEE-RDP/MRRD:||Balkh||17 Dec 2018|
|Regional Enterprise Development (ED) Program .. at WEE-RDP/MRRD:||Kabul||17 Dec 2018|
|Regional Enterprise Development (ED) Program .. at WEE-RDP/MRRD:||Kunduz||17 Dec 2018|