DRR & Resilience Advisor to ANDMA(219 Views)
Afghanaid is a British-registered international NGO, which has worked in Afghanistan for over 30 years. We assist community-driven processes that address the rights and fundamental needs of people in some of the most remote areas of Afghanistan, providing basic services, supporting development of rural livelihoods and responding to humanitarian emergencies. We are headquartered in Kabul, and operate 20 provincial and district offices across Badakhshan (north-eastern region), Samangan (northern region) and Ghor (western region), as well as a Marketing and Fundraising office in London. We employ around 160 personnel, 97% of whom are Afghans.
Based at ANDMA, the DRR & Resilience Advisor will support the State Minister on strategic and operational issues, strengthening Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) and Resilience in the country
|Date Posted:||04 Dec 2018||Reference:||VA-2018-82|
|Closing Date:||22 Dec 2018||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||Programme||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Salary Range:||As per company salary scale|
|Contract Type:||Fixed-term||Years of Experience:||10 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||2 Year(s) & 0 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||No|
|Probation Period:||3 Months|
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Strategic Support
• Coordinate Deputy Special Representative of the Secretary-General (DSRSG) - Ministerial meetings
• Develop policy position papers for State Minister for Disaster Management and Humanitarian Affairs
• Support operationalization of DRR/Resilience Global frameworks signed by Afghanistan
• Support Coordination with Regional bodies such as SAARC, ECO, UNISDR and ASEAN for DRR and emergency response in Afghanistan
• Coordinate exposure visits for capacity building of State Minister for Disaster Management and Humanitarian Affairs staff
• Identify international funding sources/opportunities and prepare Govt. of Afghanistan to apply for bids
• Support development of National Disaster Preparedness Plan
• Support coordination in development of a National Action Plan for DRR, Resilience and Climate Change Adaptation.
• Influence integration of DRR/Resilience within line ministries, e.g. MoE, MRRD, MAIL, NEPA and AMA
• Support development, operationalization and sustainability of National Disaster Management Information System (NDMIS) database
2. Operational Support
• Coordinate DRR Working Group meetings including secretarial responsibility
• Represent SMDM in UN Cluster meetings
• Represent SMDM in National/Regional NGO/Donor meetings and conferences
• Collect and maintain 3Ws (Who, What and Where) of DRR and emergency response in Afghanistan
• Coordinate standardization of models, templates and TORs for DRR and emergency response
• Map prepositioned materials and emergency response equipment available in the country and identify gaps
• Map CBDP plans, SBDP plans, CERT kits and Early Warning Systems available at community levels and identify gaps
• Coordinate information of DRR/Resilience projects being implemented in the country where SMDM has been defined as a stakeholder
• Coordinate identification, procurement and engagement of international Technical Assistance and Technical Expertise to SMDM
This is senior position within State Ministry of Disaster Management that demands equal competence in working effectively with the stakeholder e.g. relevant ministries, donors and NGOs.
Afghanaid wants to attract an individual with experience in DRR as well as high academic qualifications. Suitable candidates will have successful track records of working in government, UN, donors and/or NGOs at a senior level. The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic and ambitious, she/he will set high professional standards for him/him self and others, will possess strong interpersonal and diplomatic skills and a “can do” mentality when approaching challenges.
Education & Professional Qualification
1. Masters degree from a well-recognized University in project management, business administration, international development, disaster management, international relations or other related field.
Work Experience and Knowledge
• Minimum of 8-10 years managing development and humanitarian projects and team
• Minimum of 8-10 years’ experience and in fragile and conflict –affected country
• Minimum of 10 years working experience directly in humanitarian relief and development
• Demonstrated ability to think strategically, plan effectively, set priorities and meet project deadlines in an emergency relief/ development context
• Proven ability to effectively design and implement logical frameworks and work plans
• Excellent financial management, able to plan, control and manage budgets and cash flow
• Broad experience and understanding of international humanitarian and development work, including community infrastructure, livelihoods, agriculture, community development and governance, gender mainstreaming, disaster risk reduction and emergency responses
• Proven and substantive expertise in policy analysis, development and advocacy, especially around leading edge DRR, resilience and/or climate change adaptation principles and practices
• Cleary exhibited knowledge of sustainability and exit strategies
• Displayed ability in preparing well-organized, coherent reports, templates and other documents.
• Consistent and proven track record as an exceptional team player and leader
• Knowledge’s of SFDRR, SDGs, Paris agreement and have the experience of work with UN agencies in the country
• Experience of managing large and medium size donor funded projects especially in the field of DRR, Resilience and climate change.
• Proven developed and applied CBDRR manuals which were supported any project in the country or the manuals verified/published by any UN agencies in the country.
1 Experience of working as advisor to the minister level
2 A career path that clearly reflects ambition, commitment and determination.
3 Previous experience of NGOs and UN DRR working group, with best of knowledge’s of ACBAR and other existing NGOs forums.
Professional Skills, Competencies and Qualities
• Fluency in written and spoken English, Dari and Pashto and demonstrated ability to write, lay out and present high quality documents and reports for diverse audiences
• Personal integrity, initiative and drive to get the things done and achieve results
• Excellent conceptual and analytical skills able to distil key ideas with clarity and precision
• Strong organizational and coordination skills, able to work with significant levels of autonomy, manage personal priorities and meet tight deadlines
• An outgoing and engaging personality with a strong sense of humour and a natural inclination to engage others, able to build trust, work collaboratively in teams and manage relationships with a variety of stakeholders
• Ability to clearly and confidently articulate ideas in a persuasive manner at a senior level, able to lead and influence others with diplomacy and tact
• Strong facilitation, training design and presentation skills, able to organise and leading meetings, workshops, trainings and conferences
• Flexible and dynamic with the ability to deal with difficult, often ambiguous and challenging situations and creatively solve problems
• Proficiency in common office software: spread sheets, word processing, PowerPoint and Outlook
• Demonstrated commitment to continuous learning and professional development
• Commitment to the vision, mission and values of Afghanaid
• Gender-sensitive, able to work effectively with and promote the participation and engagement of both men and women coupled with a thorough appreciation for the role and vulnerability of women and girls in DRR and disaster management.
• Resilience to live, travel and work under confining security protocols.
Note: This job description does not form part of the contract of employment; it is subject to change in accordance with the changing needs of the organisation. The post-holder will work at all times in a way which is consistent with the organisation’s commitment to equality of opportunity.
Afghanistan - Kabul
AF AF 12
Please email a covering letter and your CV to including the job title and your name in the subject line by Nov 05 2018. Your covering letter should be no more than 2 standard A4 pages in length and explain how you meet the position requirements and why you feel you would be a suitable candidate for this role. Your CV should be no more than 4 pages and include 3 professional references. The precision and style with which you present yourself in your covering letter and CV will be given significant weight in short listing candidates.
|More jobs in this category|
|Project Coordinator at Afghanaid||Daikondi||30 Dec 2018|
|Gender & ESS Officer at WEE-RDP/MRRD:||Kandahar||18 Dec 2018|
|Gender & ESS Officer at WEE-RDP/MRRD:||Khost||18 Dec 2018|
|Gender & ESS Officer at WEE-RDP/MRRD:||Kabul||18 Dec 2018|
|Program Assistant, Curriculum Reform at UNESCO Kabul||Kabul||16 Dec 2018|
|Senior Reporting Specialist at WEE-RDP/MRRD:||Jawzjan||17 Dec 2018|
|Regional Enterprise Development (ED) Program .. at WEE-RDP/MRRD:||Balkh||17 Dec 2018|
|Regional Enterprise Development (ED) Program .. at WEE-RDP/MRRD:||Kabul||17 Dec 2018|
|Regional Enterprise Development (ED) Program .. at WEE-RDP/MRRD:||Kunduz||17 Dec 2018|
|Project Management Assistant FSN-08 (Multiple.. at USAID/Afghanistan||Kabul||11 Dec 2018|