Chief Technical Engineer(820 Views)
About Ministry Of Agriculture Irrigation and Livestock
The ministry of agriculture, irrigation and livestock is a key ministry of the Islamic republic of Afghanistan that aims to develop the agriculture, irrigation and livestock of the rural and urban communities The ministry is expected to lay the foundations for a long terms strengthening of local irrigation and agriculture, to promote governance, to rebuild social capital and leadership within villages and neighborhoods, and to provide assistance for rehabilitation and development of communities.
Agriculture is the foundational basis of Afghan society. Approximately 80% of the population is engaged in agriculture directly or indirectly in main secondary or tertiary activities of irrigation canals. It is in this sector that the future of Afghanistan’s wealth and potential for capital accumulation resides. While some of Afghanistan’s former agricultural infrastructures have been restored, considerably more, remains to be done. Lack of agriculture technology, infrastructure, and difficulty in accessing markets by farmers still remain as challenges in the sector. This is in spite of the enormous potential of agriculture as the sector that can drive economic growth.
MAIL Irrigation Directorate established under supervision of Deputy Minister Irrigation and Natural Resources after Afghanistan water law was approved in 2009. Based on Afghanistan Water law, Management of Irrigation is responsibility of Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and livestock (MAIL). During the war time the majority of Afghanistan irrigation systems/canals destroyed. After Soviet Union Military Forces left Afghanistan, immigrated and internally displaced people returned back to those provinces that were not under control of that time Government, in the same time rehabilitation of irrigation systems of those areas started by resident of the areas and international NGOs. Rehabilitation and new development of Irrigation Infrastructures is one of MAIL’s seven priorities plans, set under the Agriculture Master Plan It is estimated that Afghanistan has about 29,000 canals, rehabilitation and operation and maintenance of these canals are big challenges in front of Irrigation Directorate, and also there are many new development irrigation projects therefore a strong and enable setting is needed to manage cooperation and cooperation among related stakeholders of this important section to work together and share their abilities and contribution to deliver better services to Afghan Farmers.
The chief engineer is responsible for the entire engineering projects from approving designs and assigning engineers and technicians to ensure that all safety and structural standards are met throughout the completion of each project And also to lead the technical board, with responsibility for the planning and deployment of the design of components and their integration into systems. Provide technical liaison to supplier, Contractors and MAIL Technical Engineers. Produce high quality solutions for projects, and be able to apply engineering knowledge and principles to devise innovative solutions to unique design problems. Responsible for the overall design content from concept through to detailed component drawings. Work and act independently, being self-supervising within the expectations of Senior Management with outcomes reviewed at senior level. Work on multiple major projects requiring innovative solutions at the cutting edge of the technical field providing expertise.
|Date Posted:||01 Jan 2019||Reference:||MAIL/01/2019|
|Closing Date:||14 Jan 2019||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||Agriculture||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Afghan||Salary Range:||As per NTA Salary Scale Policy10000.0|
|Contract Type:||Fixed-term||Years of Experience:||10 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||1 Year(s) & 0 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||Yes|
|Probation Period:||3 Months|
Duties and Responsibilities
• Provide technical lead in all developing Projects
• Define technical resource requirements for successful project execution
• Maximize team performance using standard processes
• Work closely with tight deadline to ensure that engineering standards are maintained
• Conduct survey, design and feasibility studies of the selected large and small irrigation schemes;
• Provide guidance on construction supervision and quality control;
• Prepare and submit monthly progress report to irrigation Director
• Works with the design team to develop safe, efficient, and effective projects that will fall within the budget.
• Evaluates all costs associated with each project including materials, costs of labor, and time expended.
• Coordinates the engineering team, assigning short and long term goals for successful completion of the project’s plans.
• Ensures safety of the worksite during the course of development.
• Reviews safety standards for the finished product.
• Manages the engineering team and oversees training of new employees.
• Allocates resources effectively including personnel, materials, and time.
• Final check and verification of all site plans, profiles, designs and cost estimation of the complete irrigation schemes including all irrigation infrastructures e.g. field turnouts, drop structures, culverts, weirs, dams and community access points coming from the design sections of all Irrigation Directorate donor funded projects
• Prepare detail design reports
• Review and approve BOQ (bill of quantity) and CAD drawings of all civil works
• Strictly follow on the project implementation plan,
• Checking of specifications and quality of the structures
• Preparation of work plan for each civil work contract
• Spot checking and certification of ongoing rehabilitation and Development works
• Work independently, and with consultation of irrigation Directorate and donor funded projects through subordinate engineers the construction of canals, water courses according to the type of soil, and specific climate
• Training of the project field supervisors to properly supervise the civil works at the sites
• Prepare work plan for all technical staff activities both in the office and on the sites
• Investigate proposed locations of structures (flow control gates, turnout, flow measurement weirs, dams, etc.) and prepare initial designs in coordination with technical team.
• Work closely with consultant design engineers
• Store soft copies of all designs/drawings and site plans at safe place
• Identifying and proposing proper construction materials as per the required standards and site locations
• Facilitate the identification and preparation of investment projects and programmes and provide implementation support
• Perform any other project relevant activity assigned by the irrigation Director
Travels to Provinces
Require Travels to Provinces
• Writing skills and demonstrated ability to develop written reports and action plans in both English and Pashto/Dari
• Ability to express ideas concisely and clearly preferably in both English and Dari/Pashtu
• Ability to use personal computers and related engineering software’s
• Expert speaking, writing and consulting skills
• Considerable interpersonal skills, including the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others
• Ability to work independently to meet critical and competing deadlines to produce high quality work in short timeframes
• Ability to work productively with others as part of a team
• Has an engaging personality
• Can inspire confidence and can communicate effectively
• Is discreet and diplomatic, upholding values and ethics that are required of such a post
• Familiarity with governmental functioning especially at the sub-national level and with ﬁeld conditions would be an advantage.
• The candidate must have achieved Engineering degree in Hydro technic structures/ Civil Engineering or related discipline; or an equivalent combination of education, training and a minimum of 10 years directly relevant experience;
• Experience meeting, consulting and corresponding with government officials, including regulatory and program partners, including explanation of technical details on complex issues;
• Experience in managing and designing large, medium and small hydrotechnic structures;
• The candidate should demonstrate high level of project management, leadership, planning, problem solving, analytical and team building skills;
• Experience working in large scale irrigation Projects
• Experience meeting, consulting and corresponding with government officials, including regulatory and program partners, and stakeholder groups on policy proposals and existing government policies, including explanation of technical details on complex issues
• Must have experience leading teams of individuals in irrigations field
• The candidate should demonstrate high level of project management, leadership, planning, problem solving, analytical and team building skills
Afghanistan - Kabul: PROVINCIAL CENTER (KABUL)
AF AF 12
Bachelors Degree, Engineering
• The interested candidates should submit their resumes along with a cover letter to Human Resource Directorate of Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL) as following Conditions
• Subject line must be Chief Technical Engineer (MAIL-01-2019) otherwise application will NOT be considered
• No resume will be taken under consideration without having a cover letter, the position title vacancy number in the subject line of the email
• Please note that application received after the closing date will not be considered
Note: The Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL) is an equal opportunity employer which encourages male and female candidates to apply for vacant positions.
Only short-listed candidates whose applications respond to the above criteria will be contacted.
|More jobs in this category|
|Senior Watershed Management Officer at MAIL/Panj Amu||Kunduz||02 Feb 2019|
|National Program Director at CLAP-MAIL||Kabul||02 Feb 2019|
|Social & Safeguard Officer at MAIL/CPMO||Kabul||01 Feb 2019|
|Horticulture Trainer at The Liaison Office||Multi Cities||21 Jan 2019|
|Social Organizer (NRM) at DACAAR||Nangarhar||21 Jan 2019|
|Agribusiness Development Specialist at MAIL/HVCDSP||Kabul||21 Jan 2019|
|Horticulture Development Specialist at MAIL/HVCDSP||Kabul||21 Jan 2019|
|Resource Management Advisor at Ministry of Agriculture Irrigation and liv..||Kabul||20 Jan 2019|
|Exhibition Management Specialist at Ministry of Agriculture Irrigation an..||Kabul||20 Jan 2019|