Horticulture Development Specialist(843 Views)
The Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock is a key ministry of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan that aims to develop the agriculture, irrigation and livestock of the rural and urban communities. The Ministry is expected to lay the foundations for a long-term strengthening of local agriculture, to promote governance, to rebuild social capital and leadership within villages and neighborhoods, and to provide assistance for rehabilitation and development of communities.
Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL) and Asian Development Bank (ADB) established Central Program Management Office (CPMO) which is a permanent office to provide operational (administration, finance, procurement, reporting, technical and, monitoring and evaluation) support to all existing and forthcoming projects of ADB within the MAIL. The Project Management Unit (PMU), under the CPMO is responsible for day to day implementation of the Project including (i) overall management and coordination of the relevant outputs; (ii) guiding and overseeing the work of the regional Provincial Implementation Units (PIUs); (iii) establishment and implementation of the project performance management system.
The proposed project help strengthen Afghanistan’s horticulture value chain by (i) improving processing efficiency and marketing capacity of domestic agro-business enterprises (ABEs); (ii) modernizing crop production through better planting material, trellising, modern green houses, and on-farm facilities; and (iii) contributing to the national effort in establishing internationally recognized brands of Afghan horticulture produce. It will increase value addition for horticultural commodities produced in eleven (11) provinces in Central, South, and East Afghanistan. As such, the project contribute to increasing import substitution of fresh and processed fruit and vegetables, and expanding exports of high-value fruit, vegetables, and nuts in which the country has a comparative advantage.
The project is aligned with the following impact: improved agricultural productivity and food security. The project will have the following outcome: production and value addition of horticulture products increased. The two outputs are (i) horticulture value-chain infrastructure and facilities improved; and (ii) national capacity for horticulture export expansion and import substitution developed.
The horticulture development specialist will work closely with the horticulture officers and in general with the horticulture team of the project for planning, implementation and reporting of horticulture related activities such as; introduction of new technology to farmers, best production practices, establishment of on-farm facilities and, its use and maintenance under the direct supervision of the horticulture development manager. The specialist will contribute mainly in achieving the horticulture development objectives of the project primarily through increasing production and productivity and marketing.
|Date Posted:||08 Jan 2019||Reference:||MAIL/081/18|
|Closing Date:||21 Jan 2019||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||4||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||Agriculture||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Afghan||Salary Range:||As per NTA Salary Scale Policy10000.0|
|Contract Type:||Fixed-term||Years of Experience:||5 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||1 Year(s) & 0 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||Yes|
|Probation Period:||3 Months|
Duties and Responsibilities
The Horticulture Development Specialist duties will include but will not be limited to the following:
• Analyze the current situation of the horticulture sector (i.e. SWOT analysis) in project target provinces and propose strong and feasible recommendations to overcome the horticulture production, processing and marketing challenges;
• Assist Horticulture Development Manager in developing annual program implementation plans in relation to the farm level sub-projects;
• Implement and supervise project activities in the target areas in consultation with the local stakeholders and communities;
• Ensure that the project target is achieved within the project timeline and approved budget;
• In conjunction with the Agribusiness Development Manager and technical Team, assist in the identification of priority horticultural products to be supported under the project – and, confirm the technical viability of promoting these crops in the identified provinces participating in the project;
• Identify the most appropriate technologies (structure designs, planting materials, small scale processing equipment etc.,) to be established on affiliated farmer properties;
• In consultation with the associated agribusiness enterprises, support NGO facilitation partner efforts to identify investments for on-farm investments to be financed by the project;
• In coordination with the NGO facilitation partner, develop sub-project investment proposals and reports for recommendation to the sub-project evaluation committee approval;
• Ensure the technical feasibility of the sub-projects for estimating financial returns on the investment;
• Ensure regular monitoring of project activities against work plans and objectives of the project;
• Develop work progress reports on weekly and monthly basis and submit directly to the Horticulture Development Manager; and,
• Undertake other duties and responsibilities delegated by the Horticulture Development Manager and/or project leadership.
Travels to Provinces
Require Travels to Provinces
• Familiarity with SWOT analysis;
• Have strong technical, problem solving and management skills;
• Ability to multitask under pressure, meet tight deadlines and deliver high-quality work;
• Ability to coordinate and communicate effectively with project stakeholders’.
• Strong oral and written communication skills and demonstrated ability to efficiently use MS Office packages (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook); and,
• Fluent in English and as well as in Pashto/Dari (speaking and writing).
*the position will be based in Project Management Unit (PMU)/MAIL with frequent travels to project target provinces.
• At least bachelor’s degree in horticulture from an internationally recognized university with minimum five years work experience in horticulture sector, and with Master’s degree three years relevant experience is a must;
• Have experience in implementing agriculture and other relevant development projects;
Afghanistan - Kabul: PROVINCIAL CENTER (KABUL)
AF AF 12
Bachelors Degree, Agriculture
• The interested candidates should submit their resumes along with a cover letter to Human Resource Directorate of Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL) as following Conditions
• Subject line must be Horticulture Development Specialist (MAIL-081-018) otherwise application will NOT be considered.
• No resume will be taken under consideration without having a cover letter, the position title vacancy number in the subject line of the email
• Please note that application received after the closing date will not be considered
Note: The Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL) is an equal opportunity employer which encourages male and female candidates to apply for vacant positions.
Only short-listed candidates whose applications respond to the above criteria will be contacted.
|More jobs in this category|
|Senior Watershed Management Officer at MAIL/Panj Amu||Kunduz||02 Feb 2019|
|National Program Director at CLAP-MAIL||Kabul||02 Feb 2019|
|Social & Safeguard Officer at MAIL/CPMO||Kabul||01 Feb 2019|
|Horticulture Trainer at The Liaison Office||Multi Cities||21 Jan 2019|
|Social Organizer (NRM) at DACAAR||Nangarhar||21 Jan 2019|
|Agribusiness Development Specialist at MAIL/HVCDSP||Kabul||21 Jan 2019|
|Resource Management Advisor at Ministry of Agriculture Irrigation and liv..||Kabul||20 Jan 2019|
|Exhibition Management Specialist at Ministry of Agriculture Irrigation an..||Kabul||20 Jan 2019|