Agribusiness Development Specialist(791 Views)
The Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock is a key ministry of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan that aims to develop the agriculture, irrigation and livestock of the rural and urban communities. The Ministry is expected to lay the foundations for a long-term strengthening of local agriculture, to promote governance, to rebuild social capital and leadership within villages and neighborhoods, and to provide assistance for rehabilitation and development of communities.
Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL) and Asian Development Bank (ADB) established Central Program Management Office (CPMO) which is a permanent office to provide operational (administration, finance, procurement, reporting, technical and, monitoring and evaluation) support to all existing and forthcoming projects of ADB within the MAIL. The Project Management Unit (PMU), under the CPMO is responsible for day to day implementation of the Project including (i) overall management and coordination of the relevant outputs; (ii) guiding and overseeing the work of the regional Provincial Implementation Units (PIUs); (iii) establishment and implementation of the project performance management system.
The proposed project help strengthen Afghanistan’s horticulture value chain by (i) improving processing efficiency and marketing capacity of domestic agro-business enterprises (ABEs); (ii) modernizing crop production through better planting material, trellising, modern green houses, and on-farm facilities; and (iii) contributing to the national effort in establishing internationally recognized brands of Afghan horticulture produce. It will increase value addition for horticultural commodities produced in eleven (11) provinces in Central, South, and East Afghanistan. As such, the project contribute to increasing import substitution of fresh and processed fruit and vegetables, and expanding exports of high-value fruit, vegetables, and nuts in which the country has a comparative advantage.
The project is aligned with the following impact: improved agricultural productivity and food security. The project will have the following outcome: production and value addition of horticulture products increased. The two outputs are (i) horticulture value-chain infrastructure and facilities improved; and (ii) national capacity for horticulture export expansion and import substitution developed.
The Agribusiness Development Specialist will report to the Agribusiness Development Manager to achieve the business development objectives of the project such as; investment on sub-projects, increase in production, value addition and marketing of horticulture produce of agribusinesses
|Date Posted:||08 Jan 2019||Reference:||MAIL/082/18|
|Closing Date:||21 Jan 2019||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||4||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||Agriculture||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Afghan||Salary Range:||As per NTA Salary Scale Policy10000.0|
|Contract Type:||Fixed-term||Years of Experience:||5 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||1 Year(s) & 0 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||Yes|
|Probation Period:||3 Months|
Duties and Responsibilities
The Agri-business Development Specialist will undertake, but not limited to the following tasks:
• Identify gaps, constraints and bottlenecks related to production, processing and value addition of selected horticulture crops and help establish business linkages between producers, service providers, processors, aggregators and exporters;
• In coordination with the project technical teams (agribusiness and horticulture), prepare sub-project investment reports, work plans and implementation plans for successful execution of the sub-project agreements.
• Work closely with the agribusiness development officers and team, and provide support to ensure agribusiness development activities are implemented according to approved plans and timelines;
• Prepare guidelines and training materials for sub-project investors or agribusinesses based on the bottlenecks and gaps identified; Plan, conduct and/or supervise capacity building programs in the areas of; business planning, business development, record keeping, quality control, food safety and marketing;
• Identify the Sanitary & Phytosanitary (SPS) and other necessary certifications requirements for commodities being considered for export and liaison for the fulfillment of requirements for export;
• Ability to multitask under pressure, meet tight deadlines and deliver quality results;
• Plan, conduct and participate in business to business meetings, trade and marketing events, and workshops to attract businesses for investment in the horticulture sector;
• Coordinate with all stakeholders including; private sector and other government agencies such as; Afghanistan Chamber of Commerce & Industry (ACCI) for export initiatives of horticulture produce and prepare a time bound plan/strategy to engage them with the project beneficiaries for possible business linkages;
• Coordinate with the agribusiness team to implement activities in accordance to the approved sub-project agreements which enable businesses to increase sales, improve their services (quality and safety of the produce) and access new markets;
• Write up detail work progress reports and success stories, and share with the project leadership for further processing; and,
• Undertake other duties and responsibilities commensurate with the role and level of this job as may be requested by the Agribusiness Development Manager.
Travels to Provinces
Require Travels to Provinces
• Proven communications and reporting skills using standard computer programs;
• Be a team player, able to take initiative, work under limited supervision and have the capacity of solving problems and issues;
• Willingness to travel to project target provinces;
• Able to take initiatives, solve issues, play vital role as a team member and for long hours as and whenever required;
• Strong oral and written communication skills and demonstrated ability to efficiently use MS Office packages (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook); and,
• Fluent in English and as well as in Pashto/Dari languages (speaking and writing).
*the position will be based in Project Management Unit (PMU)/MAIL with frequent travels to project target provinces.
• At least bachelor’s degree in Agriculture Economics or Business Administration with five years of intensive experience as agribusiness/ agriculture marketing expert with reputed agriculture development programs or organizations. Preference will be given to master’s degree holders;
Afghanistan - Kabul: PROVINCIAL CENTER (KABUL)
AF AF 12
• The interested candidates should submit their resumes along with a cover letter to Human Resource Directorate of Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL) as following Conditions
• Subject line must be Agribusiness Development Specialist (MAIL-082-018) otherwise application will NOT be considered.
• No resume will be taken under consideration without having a cover letter, the position title vacancy number in the subject line of the email
• Please note that application received after the closing date will not be considered
Note: The Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL) is an equal opportunity employer which encourages male and female candidates to apply for vacant positions.
Only short-listed candidates whose applications respond to the above criteria will be contacted
|More jobs in this category|
|Senior Watershed Management Officer at MAIL/Panj Amu||Kunduz||02 Feb 2019|
|National Program Director at CLAP-MAIL||Kabul||02 Feb 2019|
|Social & Safeguard Officer at MAIL/CPMO||Kabul||01 Feb 2019|
|Horticulture Trainer at The Liaison Office||Multi Cities||21 Jan 2019|
|Social Organizer (NRM) at DACAAR||Nangarhar||21 Jan 2019|
|Horticulture Development Specialist at MAIL/HVCDSP||Kabul||21 Jan 2019|
|Resource Management Advisor at Ministry of Agriculture Irrigation and liv..||Kabul||20 Jan 2019|
|Exhibition Management Specialist at Ministry of Agriculture Irrigation an..||Kabul||20 Jan 2019|