Legal Advocacy Specialist(576 Views)
The International Development Law Organization (IDLO) is an inter-governmental development organization with headquarters in Rome and program offices in Kabul and several other provinces in Afghanistan. IDLO fulfils its mandate by providing training, technical assistance, research, and publication to governments, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), local communities, and professional associations in developing countries, countries in economic transition, and countries emerging from armed conflict. The International Development Law Organization (IDLO) enables governments and empowers people to reform laws and strengthen institutions to promote peace, justice, sustainable development and economic opportunity. We contribute to creating stable and inclusive societies where every person can live free from fear and want, in dignity and under the rule of law. IDLO began working in Afghanistan in 2001 and has become a leading partner of Afghan government, donor countries and international agencies to achieve the common goal of strengthening the rule of law. Afghanistan has been an IDLO Member Country since 2012.
This position reports to the International Legal Aid Component Lead and will manage the components work with the legal aid providers in Afghanistan. The contributions of to the legal aid component will bring lasting change in the lives of indigent Afghans in need of legal aid and access to justice.
|Date Posted:||13 Jan 2019||Reference:||IDLO/SAJA/03/2019|
|Closing Date:||24 Jan 2019||Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1||Gender:||Any|
|Functional Area:||Legal||Open Ended:||NO|
|Nationality:||Afghan||Salary Range:||As per company salary scale|
|Contract Type:||Long-term||Years of Experience:||5 Year(s)|
|Contract Duration:||1 Year(s) & 0 Month(s)||Extension Possibility:||Yes|
|Probation Period:||6 Months|
Duties and Responsibilities
The Legal Aid Advocacy Specialist will be responsible for the following:
• Support and advise the International Legal Aid Component Lead on all legal aid related developments.
o Maintain a detailed understanding of all laws, regulations, policies, and initiatives relating to legal aid in Afghanistan;
o Maintain an understanding of the Afghan legal aid systems in a comparative context to be able to provide varied options and project intervention outcomes;
o Build and maintain close cooperative relationships with stakeholders in the legal aid sector such as the Ministry of Justice, the Afghanistan Independent Bar Association, and other members of the Afghanistan Legal Aid and Advocates Network (ALAAN).
o Build and maintain close cooperative relationships with international donors and implementers in the legal aid sector with focus on advocacy topics.
• Contribute to the Lead Legal Aid Component’s advocacy initiatives.
o Coordinate with national and international stakeholders to identify appropriate legal aid advocacy initiatives.
o Coordinate and assist stakeholders in the development and implementation of legal aid advocacy action plans.
o Coordinate and assist in Legal Aid Component’s government relations outreach support successful implementation of advocacy initiatives
o Contribute to Legal Aid Component’s training and public legal awareness initiatives, legal aid related training.
o Coordinate with national and international stakeholders on identifying appropriate advocacy training topics
o Assist in reviewing training and public legal awareness materials, advocacy briefs reports, studies etc. to ensure incorporation of advocacy topics in trainings and campaigns.
o Contribute and assist in the drafting / adapting of trainings and public legal awareness materials with special focus on advocacy issues.
o Ensure that trainings and campaigns are in line with IDLO and ALAAN’s strategic goals and policies.
• Perform other duties as requested by the International Legal Aid Component Lead.
Travels to Provinces
Require Travels to Provinces
• Proven experience of successful work with Afghan government, especially advocacy initiatives within the justice institutions.
Strong understanding of Afghanistan’s legal framework.
• Familiarity with standard program and data management tools, as well as results-based management, monitoring and evaluation principles.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Good knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
• Good interpersonal skills with ability to see through tasks set and deliver results;
• The ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines, flexibility and an entrepreneurial spirit.
• Self-motivated and able to assist the organization achieve its objectives;
• Professional experience in capacity development and rule of law programming would be an asset.
• Prior experience working on a US-funded project preferable.
• Ability to travel around Afghanistan and network with local officials.
• Keen sense of ethics, integrity, and commitment to IDLO’s mandate.
• Bachelor’s degree in law, a master’s degree in law will be preferred;
• Minimum of 5 years professional experience in the Rule of Law sector, preferably related to issues affecting legal aid and access to justice. Program and project management experience is an asset.
• Fluency in English and Dari is required, knowledge of Pashto would be an advantage.
Afghanistan - Kabul
AF AF 12
Bachelors Degree, Law
Please submit your CV to the email provided and indicate clearly in the subject of your e-mail the position (Legal Advocacy Specialist) and the Vacancy number (IDLO/SAJA/03/2019) you are applying. Please read the vacancy and make sure your experience and qualification meet the above criteria and if any application does not meet the requirements will not be considered.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for Test/Interview!
|More jobs in this category|
|Staff Attorney at Youth in Action Consulting Company||Multi Cities||29 May 2019|
|Senior Lawyer at Kakar Advocates LLC||Kabul||31 Dec 2019|