|Date Posted:||Jun 10, 2018|
|Reference:||MoMP/PPG-Senior Procurement Specialist (Procurement Directorate)|
|Closing Date:||Jun 19, 2018|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||As per NTA salary scale policyNone|
|Years of Experience:||7 Years|
|Contract Duration:||10 Months|
|Contract Type:||Short Term|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About Ministry of Mines and Petroleum (MoMP):
Ministry of Mines and Petroleum is an enabler of the sector’s development and steward of all mineral and hydrocarbon resources through the implementation of international best practice, policies, regulations and procedures to encourage environmentally and socially acceptable private investment. It is the responsibility of the Ministry of Mines and Petroleum to ensure progress in research, exploration, development, and exploitation of both minerals and hydrocarbons. The Ministry of Mines and Petroleum approach is to create the highest level of ministerial competence, promote clear and transparent investment opportunities through modern laws, regulation and policies; and develop a progressive and inviting fiscal regime.
The objective of this assignment is to assist MOMP Directorate with procurement of consulting services, goods, works and services so as to minimize time delays and to ensure that the assigned tasks are implemented within the original time schedule and project costs; and that there is a transfer in knowhow on project management, implementation and procurement to the staff of the section.
The Sr. Procurement Specialist will report to Director of Procurement.
Provinces to travel:
Theoretical knowledge of internationally recognized procurement standards; good understanding of procurement techniques and practices used in the private sector and knowledge of market trends and sources of supply and equipment;
Good understanding of internal procurement policies, practices and procedures; proven analytical skills, including ability to research and analyze data and develop recommendations on procurement contracts awards and related issues;
Ability to obtain information, clarification and agreement on terms of contracts and/or specification requirements; demonstrated ability to apply good judgment in the context of assignments given.
Ability to plan own work and manage conflicting priorities.
Ability to manage staff and contribute to the skills and capacity building
Good communication (spoken and written) skills, including ability to explain and present procurement-related information/requirements and prepare written documents/communications in a clear, concise style.
Fluency in English in speech, writing and comprehension to the extent of easy comprehension of World Bank procurement documents.
Good interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Under the direct supervision of Procurement director the incumbent will be responsible for overall implementation of the projects procurement and ensuring smooth implementation of each activity according to the Projects Implementation and procurement plan;
2. Updates the Procurement Section with hard and soft copies of all standard World Bank and standard Afghanistan government procurement documents, including the procurement law, tendering documents of all kinds, other procurement planning forms, etc in English and, if available, also in Pashto and Dari, on a regular basis.
3. Maintains smooth coordination of project procurement activities, and be responsible for following up with the relevant components and ministries departments on the achievement of all project targets;
4. Under the supervision of Procurement director, the senior procurement specialist must be responsible for the preparation and development of Procurement Operational Manual within the first 2 months of his/her contract.
5. Ensures the maintenance of project and contract administration records and the submission of reports;
6. Monitors financial commitments and unspent balances against contracts;
7. Facilitates procurement of all packages under the projects and ensure that all procurements are in accordance with the World Bank and GIRoA guidelines, this will include preparation of REOls, SPNs, bidding documents, RFPs, evaluation reports and contracts;
8. Prepares other documents necessary to process disbursements and otherwise facilitate payments;
9. Ensures that the MOMP Procurement is in compliance with all legal covenants of the projects;
10. Oversee the preparation and updates of monthly work plans of the Procurement Directorate.
11. Proposes necessary steps or measures to overcome any critical delays to the completion of the projects procurement activities;
12. Ensures that MOMP Procurement develops its institutional capacity to effectively implement the projects. In particular, throughout the assignment, provide on the job training to procurement staff in an effort to transfer skills and knowledge;
13. Maintains official project records; establish a proper filing system for all relevant procurement documents and prepare needed reports and documents;
14. Provides technical assistance for implementation of various procurement activities;
15. Responsible for management and development of institutional and working relationships with the key stakeholders;
16. Undertakes management tasks as deemed necessary in support of rapid procurement delivery and to implement tasks as assigned by the MOMP procurement director.
17. Any other task assigned by the management according laws and regulation.
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kabul
The Senior Procurement Specialist would have the following:
Bachelor’s degree preferably in procurement management, business administration, public administration, management, development or similar fields from a recognized, accredited university and Master degree is preferred.
At least 5-7 years’ experience of public procurement with international donor funded projects out of which a minimum of 3 years should be in the capacity of Procurement Specialist or senior procurement officer
At least 1 years’ experience as senior officer or procurement specialist with The World Bank projects.
Direct work experience in procurement with the United Nations, World Bank, would be a distinct advantage;
Fluency in written and spoken Dari, Pashto and English is required.
Thorough knowledge of Afghan political, media, economic, social, educational, and cultural structures and institutions is essential.
Ability to develop and maintain contacts at all levels, up to and including the ministerial level, in cultural, government, media, and educational institutions.