|Date Posted:||Sep 2, 2018|
|Closing Date:||Sep 15, 2018|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||Salary is negotiableAFG|
|Years of Experience:||10 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Open Ended|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
The Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock is implementing “On Farm Water Management (OFWM)” Project, financed by the Afghanistan Reconstruction Trust Fund (ARTF), in five (5) regions, namely: Kabul, Nangarhar (Jalalabad), Balkh (Mazar-i-Sharif), Baghlan and Heart. The overall development objective (PDO) of the OFWM-Project is to improve agricultural productivity in the Project Areas by enhancing the efficiency of water used. A Kabul-based Project Management Unit (PMU) headed by the Project Manager, with the assistance of Core Team of Specialists, is responsible for execution of the project. Five Area Teams: one each in Kabul, Nangarhar (Jalalabad), Mazar-i-Sharif (Balkh), Bamyan and Heart, have been established for implementation of field activities. The project started its implementation from March, 2011 for a period of 3 years and is being monitored by Worlds Bank. The project closing date has recently been extended up to April 2016. The project has received additional fund from the World Bank (the Bank) and the period of the OFWMP has been extended to December 2019.
The Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL) aims to expand and strengthen the irrigation sector in the country through putting in place the support infrastructure and taking new initiatives. MAIL intends to avail the services of a Senior Irrigation Adviser for technical support to the Deputy Minister. The incumbent adviser is also expected to assist in the implementation of reform agenda for the irrigation sector, provide support in policy areas and take initiative for capacity building needs of the irrigation directorate.
Requires travel to provinces:
Evidence of technical support provided to Deputy Minister, or Senior officials of the Ministry
Overall activities plan with detailed monthly activities
Reporting any new initiatives by the Deputy Minister for Irrigation and the adviser's role under those initiatives
Drafted policies, strategies and concept notes, if any
Minutes of the meetings chaired and/or co-chaired by DM or advisor
A concise End of Assignment (EoA) Report with findings and recommendations
Duties & Responsibilities:
Under the overall supervision of the Deputy Minister for Irrigation and Natural Resources, Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL), the Irrigation Adviser will provide overall technical support to the office of the deputy minister. The Adviser will fulfill the following tasks.
1. Active participation in the ADB funded initiatives at the Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock, particularly with Irrigation directorate;
2. Carry out feasibility study of the large scale projects
3. Check, review and approve the progress of the large scale projects and
4. Review the designs of the large irrigation projects and and reports
5. Able to communicate complicated and technical issues with implementing companies.
6. Provide necessary support in the implementation of the program for the institutional strengthening and capacity development of Irrigation Department (ID) and the directorates of agriculture, irrigation and livestock (DAIL) of MAIL
7. Take a role in organizing Irrigation Working Group (IWG) meeting on a regular basis, and also provide advices to make IWG work as a platform for coordinating comprehensive implementation of the irrigation projects and activities among organizations concerned;
8. Report the updated information relating to irrigation programs/projects and activities to be formulated and/or implemented by the donors through a monthly report on request basis by JICA experts;
9. Assist Deputy Minister for Irrigation in initiatives for cold storages, joint agriculture school study with Technical Vocation Training Authority, and support programs for Afghan returnees from neighboring countries;
10. Assist Irrigation Director (Deputy Director) in the implementation of Irrigation Sector Reform and National Irrigation Program;
11. Assist in implementation of the National Irrigation Policy, and also provide necessary support in capacity building and institutional arrangements for implementation of the policy;
12. Assist in the review and update of National Irrigation Projects;
13. Contribute to formulate irrigation policy, projects proposals, programs and concept notes, and present them at appropriate platforms to obtain funding and materialize them.
14. Review master plans, feasibility studies, and prepare scope of studies, expression of interests for the national and sub-national level irrigation projects;
15. Draft strategy for identifying synergies with other line ministries and departments engaged in irrigation activities, and formulating coordination mechanism for optimizing joint operations on the ground.
16. Support capacity building activities in the irrigation directorate
17. Support the formation of a capacity building unit within irrigation directorate to systematize and channel all donor-funded capacity building activities in the irrigation directorate
18. Assist in the implementation of National Rice Development Strategy (NPRS).
19. Liaise with Mechanization directorate and RIPA project, on aspect of agriculture (rice) mechanization
20. Assist the CPMO is their irrigation related issues
21. Promote any support to office of the deputy minister for irrigation and natural resources.
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kabul
Masters level education in Water, irrigation or any relevant field;
10 or more years of working experience
Experience in institutional capacity building, policy and program management and implementation
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
Proven ability to work in harsh environments