|Date Posted:||Nov 26, 2018|
|Closing Date:||Dec 11, 2018|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||Salary is negotiableUSD|
|Years of Experience:||2 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Open Ended|
|Probation Period:||4 months|
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-Habitat, is the United Nations agency for human settlements. The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-Habitat, has been working within Afghanistan since 1992
This post is in the Knowledge Management, Unit (KMU) UN-Habitat office in Kabul, Afghanistan.
The overall objective of the Creative Specialist (graphic, style and branding) is to portray UN-HABITAT projects in Afghanistan accurately and effectively to a wide range of targets, including the Afghan people, the Afghan government, the United Nations and the donor community.
Under direct supervision of the Senior Communication and Outreach Officer and in close collaboration with the Creative Specialist (audio-visual and multimedia) and the Communication and Outreach Officer, the Creative Specialist (graphic, style and branding) will be responsible for the overall design and production of all visibility and audio-visual materials that effectively highlight the impact of programmes and projects of UN-HABITAT Afghanistan
Requires travel to provinces:
PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge and technical skills as a creative specialist, designer and photographer. Shows pride in work and in achievements; Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; Remains calm in stressful situations; Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; Asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; Tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; Is willing to learn from others; Places team agenda before personal agenda; Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
PLANNING & ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments; Adjusts priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; Uses time efficiently.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The Creative Specialist will perform the below duties:
- Produce visual images and designs for UN-HABITAT communication, design programme logos, brochures, pamphlets, banners, etc.
- Understand the purpose, strength and outcomes of UN-HABITAT activities to reflect their views in the products
- Take professional photographs of UN-HABITAT activities for various communication tools
- Develop guidelines for UN-HABITAT (especially provincial staff) for photographs and provide training
- Co-leads the production of advocacy materials including presentations and other visual materials;
- Work closely with KMU staff and programme teams in UN-HABITAT Afghanistan to produce communication tools and coordinate with regional communications officers in various provinces to gather information on UN-HABITAT Afghanistan projects to draft related communications products;
- Support other KMU staff where necessary and perform other related duties, as required;
- Perform any other relevant duties and administrative work assigned by the Head of KMU.
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kabul
- University degree (Bachelor degree or equivalent) in Communication, Journalism, Public Relations or a Social Science field.
- Minimum 2 years of relevant professional experience in design, media, communication in government or reputed private either national or international.
- Expert knowledge of Adobe CC (Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Premier, Aftereffects) and advanced knowledge of MS Office (PowerPoint, Word and Excel)
- Exceptional creativity and innovation and detail-oriented personality
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Advanced graphic design skills with a strong portfolio
- Understanding of latest design trends and online publications
- Professional approach to time, costs and deadlines
- Excellent collaborative verbal and written communication skills
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Ability to adapt and respond to challenges, deadlines, emergencies, and a rapidly changing work environment.
- Demonstrated strong organizational, time management, multitasking and prioritization skills
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations. For the post advertised, fluency in Dari, Pashto and English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
- Good human relationships and communication skills and ability to work under tight deadlines.