|Date Posted:||Dec 4, 2018|
|Closing Date:||Dec 9, 2018|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||As per NTA salary scale policyNone|
|Years of Experience:||5 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Open Ended|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About Roots of Peace:
Roots of Peace (ROP) is a humanitarian, not-for-profit organization focused on the removal of land mines and the restoration of agriculture in former conflict zones. ROP implements the Commercial Horticulture and Agricultural Marketing Program (CHAMP), which is a four-year program, funded by USAID in Afghanistan. The Program is implemented in the following Provinces: Kandahar, Helmand, Zabul, Uruzgan, Nangarhar, Laghman, Kunar, Nuristan, Ghazni, Logar, Wardak, Bamyan, Paktya, Paktika, and Khost. CHAMP offers farmers the opportunity to establish new orchards and new vineyards and/or to install trellising on existing vineyards. The Program will be quite similar to the World Bank MAIL-HLP orchards establishment program being implemented by ROP in Northern and Central Afghanistan. CHAMP will be responding to farmer demand for the species of trees and grapes to plant. We expect that in the higher altitudes, farmers will demand apples, almonds, apricots, walnuts and some grapes. In the lower altitudes, farmers will demand citrus, apricot, pomegranate and some almonds. We will select farmers for participation based on their agreement to pay a portion of the cost of the saplings, trellising and/or other materials provided by CHAMP.
Purpose and Objective
Kandahar is renowned for growing a wide range of horticultural products, including grapes, pomegranates, apricots, figs and melons. Numerous agribusinesses take advantage of these abundant crops and export both fresh and dried fruit worldwide. In fact, as a result of participating at four international trade fairs and events in 2018, Kandahar businesses were responsible for generating more than US$50 million in potential and confirmed deals, many of which have already been fulfilled. Following up on the more than 142 deals takes considerable time and resources.
With a large number of active processors and exporters in Kandahar, the regional office requires additional marketing support to assist these companies increase volumes, values and the quality of
Requires travel to provinces:
1. Experience working with Afghan farmers, processors and exporters
2. Good English skills, report writing and database entry.
3. Working knowledge of Dari & Pashto.
4. Willingness to travel throughout Kandahar
Duties & Responsibilities:
Description of Role:
The Marketing Specialist will support the Senior Regional Marketing Specialist (Kandahar) in undertaking a wide range of marketing and fulfilment tasks benefitting Kandahar agribusinesses and leading to increased exports from the region to India, the Gulf and Central Asia. These tasks will include information gathering, facilitating exports, liaising with exporters, etc.
Scope of Work:
1. Collect export documentation, draft related marketing activity reports and populate a CHAMP export database to assist in weekly, biweekly, monthly, quarterly and annual activity reporting;
2. Liaise with existing & new horticultural exporters;
3. Follow up with clients on the agreed terms of MOUs signed at trade events, to ensure that the program is achieving all export targets;
4. Work with farmers and merchants to identify potential improvements in production and marketing practices that will result in higher profits for both merchants and farmers;
5. In coordination with value chain mangers, coordinate activities with DAILs;
6. Travel within the province to monitor marketing related activities and represent the project;
7. Assist and train exporters on custom documentation and clearance;
8. Conduct trainings on sorting, grading and cold storage management;
9. Work on building the capacity of farmers and traders in coordination with the Value Chain managers;
10. Work on daily, weekly and monthly updates to the database;
11. Any other tasks assigned by the Senior Regional Marketing Specialist.
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kandahar
Required Qualifications: The Marketing Specialist should manifest the following attributes:
1. More than 5 years’ experience in Afghanistan’s horticultural sector