|Date Posted:||Jan 9, 2019|
|Reference:||Environmental and Social Development – Team Lead/PSU/ACP/MoMP|
|Closing Date:||Jan 15, 2019|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Functional Area:||Social Science|
|Salary Range:||As per NTA salary scale policyNone|
|Years of Experience:||7 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Open Ended|
|Contract Type:||Short Term|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About Ministry of Mines and Petroleum (MoMP):
Ministry of Mines and Petroleum is an enabler of the sector’s development and steward of all mineral and hydrocarbon resources through the implementation of international best practice, policies, regulations and procedures to encourage environmentally and socially acceptable private investment. It is the responsibility of the Ministry of Mines and Petroleum to ensure progress in research, exploration, development, and exploitation of both minerals and hydrocarbons. The Ministry of Mines and Petroleum approach is to create the highest level of ministerial competence, promote clear and transparent investment opportunities through modern laws, regulation and policies; and develop a progressive and inviting fiscal regime.
Under the oval supervision and guidance of the DM-Technical and in close coordination with Aynak Project Authority, the Environmental and Social Development-Team Lead with a team of social development, environmental and community development specialists will have the responsibility for reviewing and updating the environmental and social management frameworks of the Ministry of Mines and Petroleum. ESD-LT will be responsible to develop documents and providing input and/or preparing reports as required for the implementation of the mining projects. The ESD-TL will work closely with the Aynak Project Authority and provide conceptual, operational and technical support in related social and environmental issues. The ESD-TL will also work with the Inspection department to ensure compliance
Requires travel to provinces:
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Developing ESD-Team’s operational plan in line with the MoMP’s Roadmap, specify time-bound deliverables, and making sure that all priority projects have been considered.
- Reviewing the Environmental and Social Management Framework (ESMF) and suggest necessary amendments.
- Defining steps required to ensure compliance with the Environmental an Social Legal and Policy Framework of the Government of Afghanistan.
- Providing technical expertise and policy guidance for ensuring that broader S&E issues are incorporated in the
- Provide Training on Environmental and Social (E&S) Issues to relevant staff of the Aynak Project Authority and the Inspection Department.
- Planning, designing and conducting field surveys and desk-studies to assess the social and environmental impacts of mining projects (planned as well as currently operational projects)
- Developing success and failure case-studies based on research work and disseminate its findings and recommendations among relevant stakeholders.
- Providing research-based policy inputs/options on the E&S issues to the MoMP leadership for decision-making.
- Working in close collaboration with relevant departments in assessing the overall socio-economic impacts of the priority (planned and currently operational) mining projects and recommending actions to be taken based on the assessments.
- Working in close coordination with Aynak Project Authority on the S&E issues. Ensuring that the Aynak Project social development related issues (such as land acquisition, and compensation for loss of assets) are well-addressed.
- Assisting the Aynak Project Authority in ensuring that S&E grievances are managed effectively and transparently through the grievance redress mechanisms.
- Developing social awareness mechanisms and ensuring that the mining projects are social inclusive; such that local communities have been consulted in each phase of the project development.
- Supervising, directing and guiding E&S Specialists, community mobilizers, and other relevant staff assigned to the ESD-Team.
- Any other task assigned by the DM-Technical.
Deliverables (in First three months):
- ESD-Team’s operational Plan
- Completion of the ESD- Team (recruitment, tasks delegation)
- Develop an assessment report on the Aynak Project Social Development Issues.
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kabul
- Master’s degree in economics, Development Policy/Studies, environmental science, or any other related degree in social sciences.
- Masters with 5 years and Bachelor’s with 7 years’ experience and proven knowledge of dealing with social development and environmental issues related to extractive sector.