|Date Posted:||Feb 11, 2019|
|Closing Date:||Feb 15, 2019|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||As per NTA salary scale policyNone|
|Years of Experience:||4 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Open Ended|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About National Statistics and Information Authority:
Background National Statistics and Information Authority (NSIA) was established in year 1351 as an independent governmental administration to create an integrated scientific system for statistics, ensuring harmonization and coordination of all statistical and information management activities of Afghanistan. Since its establishment, NSIA conducts population census and national statistical surveys and coordinates with partners including government institutions, international development partners, non-governmental organizations, research institutions and agencies other than state to prevent duplication of information and statistics. NSIA collaborates with national government agencies in collection, compilation and publication of statistical information including data and statistics derived from their activities. Also NSIA independently collects, compiles, analyses and publishes national commercial, financial, social, economic, environmental, information technology and in general the living condition of Afghan nation. National Statistics and Information Authority (NSIA) supports and promotes the development of integrated social and economic statistics nationwide. NSIA also provides technical support to other agencies and facilitates standard procedures for conducting research such as sampling frames. To fulfil the requirement and need of modern statistical demands, NSIA is mandated to introduce reforms in the area of organizational development. NSIA coordinates and collaborates with partner agencies to establish standards and framework for unified data and information management. Currently on-going efforts are underway to further strengthen NSIAs institutional capacity to adapt and utilize organizational development best-practices to adapt to fast-changing and required growth of NSIA. The National Geo-Informatics Center in Afghanistan is responsible for national level of Geo-Spatial activities, developing policies, Geo-Spatial standards, and the sustainable use of its extensive natural resources. In order to make informed decisions, the policy makers, technicians, scientists and others need timely and authoritative data and the means to analyze and understand this information and the conditions, trends and other insights it can Bring. Most of the Geo spatial data that exists in Afghanistan is scattered across many organizations within the government, United Nations agencies and many other government, non-government and international organizations. The government has recognized the need to address this issue and has established a National Geo-Informatics Centre (NGIC) program within the Central Statistical Organization. Based on the decree No (656), 2018 of His Excellency President of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, the GIS Coordination Deputy President General office was established. Currently the GIS is one of the important departments of NSIA. The National Statistics and Information Authority (NSIA) is the leading national geo spatial science organization with a focus on both public good science for government and geo-scientific research to understand earth and environmental processes. To have harmonize, consistent and fair pay framework for all NTA in the country, to assure fiscal sustainability up to possible extend, to increase government control over deliverables of National Technical Assistance (NTA) including but not limited to strengthening the government ability to hire national contractors though the national budget of the country and to avoid competition with CBR and assuring transparency and accountability; NSIA is committed to hire below position based on NTA salary scale.
Refer to TOR
Requires travel to provinces:
Ability to exhibit strong commitment in the relevant disciplines
Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and working knowledge of national languages i.e. Dari and Pashto
Ability to work with and be a partner of a team of diverse backgrounds
Ability to work efficiently and to meet deadlines
Ability to function effectively in a team environment inspiring trust and cooperation of other team member.
Strong communication, negotiating skills and good interpersonal relations.
Proficient user of GIS and Image Processing software
Priority will be given to those who have higher education degree.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Prepare work plan in accordance with the organization plan in order to achieve the organization goals.
2. Review and evaluate the use of remote sensing and other new technologies in statistical activities.
3. Monitor raster analysis or satellite imagery for collecting geographic information.
4. Apply remote sensing in crop estimation fields, mainly wheat mapping, rice mapping, cotton mapping, tracking of deforestation and natural resource management.
5. Design and build statistical models using remote sensing technology.
6. Support in drafting of annual crop-estimation reports.
7. Monitor the required data capture from satellite images using remote sensing programs.
8. Provide detailed capacity building courses to Tashkeel staff for the sustainable usage of Remote Sensing and GIS in classifying of ground objects as general and agricultural statistics as specific.
9. Identification and stabilization requirements of remote sensing for ministries and government entities.
10. Keeping close relation with the Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and live stocks and other organization who work in the Remote Sensing field for the sake of collecting relevant statistics and inputs using GIS and remote sensing, specifically having knowledge of NDVI and other related indexes.
11. Preparation of atlases (Land Cover, Land Use) in coordination with the relevant departments
13. Perform other relevant tasks/duties as required by direct supervisor according to the law, policy and organization goals.
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kabul
Qualifications and Experience:
Bachelor degree in Geo Science, Geology, Geodesy, Architecture, Environmental Sciences, Natural Resource Management with 2 years of specific Remote Sensing experience.
Other fields with 4 years of experience mainly on remote sensing.
Master degree with 1 years of relevant experience.
Proficient user of GIS and RS softwares.
Strong communication skills.
Ability to work in a team