|Date Posted:||Aug 1, 2019|
|Closing Date:||Aug 12, 2019|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||As per company salary scaleAF|
|Years of Experience:||5 - 6 Years|
|Contract Type:||Short Term|
Welthungerhilfe it is one of Germany's biggest non-governmental relief organizations. Non-profit making, politically independent and non-denominational, the organization is run by a Supervisory Board of honorary members under the patronage of the President of the Federal Republic of Germany. Its work is funded by private donations and public grants. Welthungerhilfe is working since the 1980’s continuously in Afghanistan and opened the first offices in 1992. Since this time Welthungerhilfe has implemented some 165 project in Afghanistan. Main fields of Welthungerhilfe intervention in Afghanistan are emergency relief, food and nutrition security, rural and regional development and water and sanitation.
The Agri Engineer will serve as the main technical person for all agricultural and natural resources management related activities of the project she/he will work closely with Project manager and will ensure participatory technology development through participatory trials and research on improved Argo based production methodologies, technical training and extension on dryland crop production cycle, sustainable and water management. He will also support potential farmers on kitchen gardening work with CDC & DDAs in developing joint projects and ensure technical support and extension services for broader adoption of improved technologies following Farmers Field School and Community based Natural Resources Management approaches.
Under the direct supervision of the project manager and cooperation of other field staff, the agriculturists /horticulturists will do the following:
Requires travel to provinces:
· Team building skills.
· Training and facilitation skills including development of training module and curriculum.
· Organizational skills including community mobilization and group development.
· Effective communication (Verbal and written) and coordination skills.
· Computer skills including the ability to operate spread sheets and word processing programs.
· Stress management and problem solving skills.
· Documentation, reporting and time management skills.
Duties & Responsibilities:
· Conduct sustainable land management study and develop action plan on agro-base interventions and activities accordingly.
· Provide technical supports, inputs and agricultural extension services to farmers, farmers groups, and cooperatives for the production handling of high value agricultural and horticultural commodities.
· Train farmers in new agriculture and horticulture techniques and methods to enhance productivity in the area.
· Supports farmers through field visits and trainings using the (FFS) farmer field school principles.
· Establish farmers field schools (FFSs) and resources committee and train them on improved production methodologies and community based natural resources management (CBNRM).
· Establish demonstration farm and conduct participation trails and research: and demonstrate comparative results of improved agro-based production methodologies with selected FFS members.
· Ensure proper selection of households and FFS members and distribute agro-inputs for farming with necessary technical supports and extension services to the producers.
· Work with CDCs and develop and implement join agro-production and ensure necessary technical and extension supports.
· Conduct value chain and market assessment, identify potential farming groups and FFSs: and develop value chain and marketing projects.
· Embark extensive fields visits, monitor progress of activities, document lesson learnt and best practice and ensure collection and compilation of M&E data and information from the field and prepare progress report.
· Ensure close communication and coordination with project team, district authorities and community elders through regular visits, participation in meetings, organize joint field visits and submission of reports.
Support the project manager in pursuing project specific and other activities as and when necessary
Job Location:Afghanistan, Samangan
· Bachelor degree in agriculture, horticulture, agronomy or agriculture extension from a high reputed university.
· At least 5 years of progressive work experience in the similar roles in the field of food security and nutrition, livelihoods, agricultural extension, value chain and marketing projects with INGO or Afghan NGOs.
· Experience in agriculture marketing and business linkages, delivery of field level extension activities: organizing trainings and delivery: and training received in related subjects.
· Experience in facilitating agriculture/ horticulture based training curricula, agriculture value chain, marketing and business development.
· Experience in facilitating agricultural extension methodologies particularly farmer fields schools and self-help groups with demonstration of participatory research and technology development following demonstration farms is preferred.
· Understanding on research and survey methodologies, designing and implementing food security and nutrition survey, value chain study and market assessment is required.
· Good spoken and written skill in English, Pashto and Dari languages and possess good skills in report writing.