|Date Posted:||Aug 21, 2019|
|Closing Date:||Sep 30, 2019|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||As per company salary scaleAF|
|Years of Experience:||5 Years|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About Sheladia Associates Inc,:
Sheladia Associates, Inc. is a minority-owned and operated business founded in 1974 and headquartered in the metropolitan Washington DC area, with international offices located in Afghanistan, Ethiopia, India, Indonesia, Kenya, Pakistan, Philippines, and Zambia. We design and build infrastructure worldwide — both physical and institutional — to support economic growth and strengthen the capabilities of our clients and partners. We are dedicated to providing outstanding service and recognize that successful projects hinge on having the right people on the job and doing it right the first time. Our staff includes some of the most seasoned architects, engineers, construction managers, project managers, technical consultants and support staff in the industry. Sheladia’s unique approach to design, development and implementation of the project includes a clear understanding of project objectives and goals, coordination of local stakeholders and property owners. We strive to provide creative solutions in a sustainable way. Our solutions evolve from our complete understanding of complex regulations, knowhow,and our multidisciplinary approach that takes the project from concept through completion. Sheladia has received many awards for excellence in design and has established an excellent professional reputation for quality work completed on time and within budget. The trademark of our services has been its responsiveness to clients’ needs. This philosophy has been elemental in establishing Sheladia as a leading consulting firm in the region. Sheladia is a professional multidisciplinary consulting firm with experience in Structures and Facilities, Transportation Infrastructure, Energy, Rural evelopment, and Water Resources & Sanitation. The firm has been providing full Architectural & Engineering Services and Development Consulting Services since 1974 in the United States and throughout the world, implementing projects in Asia, the Middle East, Europe, Africa, and the Americas. Sheladia provides project development services that include economic and financial analysis, policy design and institutional strengthening, planning and feasibility studies, detailed engineering design, environmental and social studies, procurement assistance and management, maintenance planning and management, construction supervision/management, and monitoring and evaluation. In the international arena, Sheladia provides technical assistance to governments, their agencies, and private sector entities to strengthen and support institutional capabilities through organizational development, technology transfer, and training.
SHELADIA Associates is a multi-disciplinary international professional consulting firm with demonstrated experience in the successful management and implementation of development projects throughout the world and Afghanistan. SHELADIA works in over 70 countries throughout Asia, Africa, and the Americas. We are currently looking to fill the position of Agricultural Economist for Arghandab Integrated Water Resources Development Project (AIWRDP) project.
Requires travel to provinces:
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Review available value chain studies undertaken in Afghanistan, prepare commodity market investigations and analyses for potential horticultural value chains to assist in identifying the most promising areas for investment;
- Review unit financial and economic models developed under similar investment projects within the horticulture sector in Afghanistan such as the Horticulture Value Chain Development Sector Project, and the National Horticulture and Livestock Project;
- Review the list of eligible on-farm investments and based on the review of available information sources prepare typical data collection requirements to be used in the financial and economic analyses for each type of sub project;
- Undertake a technical review of all sub project feasibility studies (SIRs) prepared by the CPMO and/or PIUs. This review shall;
- Include field inspections of the proposed sites;
- Pay special attention to minimizing any disturbance to the natural environment and mitigating and corrective measures as appropriate;
- Review the practicality of storage implications for the investment to confirm that capacity of the storage area is consistent with planned sales patterns/product movement;
- Ensure that financial assessments of investment are completed in both financial and economic terms and that (through cash flow analysis), the sub project investor has access to adequate resources to finance the purchase of incremental raw material through the facility;
- Ensure that designs take account of security arrangements and access to external public infrastructure and services; and
- Provide written comments and recommendations to the CPMO on each sub project reviewed detailing any changes or modifications to the technical design.
- Assist the monitoring and evaluation specialist in designing a baseline survey to capture the base case scenarios of agribusiness enterprise (ABE) sub projects (including the affiliated farmers) and identify verifiable indicators that can be used to measure the success of the investment;
- Train PMU and PIU regional staff in the methods used for data collection and in interviewing sub project proponents to collect the necessary information;
- Train the PMU and PIU staff in the procedures needed to carry out an economic and financial analysis in accordance with ADB requirements detailed above;
- Support the evaluation committee in their review of SIRs for eligible sub-project from the economic and financial aspects of the report;
- Provide support to PMU staff as they prepare the respective SIPs that are presented for consideration as outlined herein;
- Assist in the preparation and review of prepared SIPs for consideration by MAIL Sub project Evaluation Committee; and
- Other duties reasonable assigned by the Consultant team leader.
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kandahar
· The Agriculture Economist must have at least a bachelor’s level qualification in agricultural economics although higher level qualifications are desirable.
· S/he should have at least 5 years of experience in the financial and economic evaluation of agricultural investments. Preference will be accorded to those candidates who are familiar with the horticulture industry who can substantiate experience in assessing investments in production of horticultural crops (both annual and perennial) as well as in the associated grading, packing, and processing of horticultural products.