|Date Posted:||Mar 17, 2020|
|Closing Date:||Mar 29, 2020|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||4|
|Salary Range:||As per company salary scaleAF|
|Years of Experience:||3 Years|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
Afghanaid is a British-registered international NGO, which has worked in Afghanistan for over 30 years. We assist community-driven processes that address the rights and fundamental needs of people in some of the most remote areas of Afghanistan, providing basic services, supporting development of rural livelihoods and responding to humanitarian emergencies. We are headquartered in Kabul, and operate 20 provincial and district offices across Badakhshan (north-eastern region), Samangan (northern region) and Ghor (western region), as well as a Marketing and Fundraising office in London. We employ around 160 personnel, 97% of whom are Afghans.
The Agriculture officer will serve as the main technical person for all agricultural and natural resource management related activities of the project. Regularly visits to farmer’s field and provide technical agriculture training.
Requires travel to provinces:
Afghanaid seeks a responsible and dependable Agriculture officer with strong initiative, judgment and adaptability as well as excellent skills in communication, organisational, interpersonal relations, decision-making and reporting skills.
Specifically, the holder of this position should also demonstrate the following:
a. Proficiency in computer software MS Office etc.
b. Reporting writing skills
c. Ability to provide technical supervision, motivate and train project beneficiaries and farmers.
d. Ability to deal with difficult, often challenging work situations.
e. Behavioural role model for peers and fellow team members.
f. Competent to work with significant levels of autonomy and able to meet tight deadlines.
g. A results-oriented approach to delivering work priorities in personal workload,
h. Creative and innovative in conceptual and analytical thinking
i. Sensitivity to gender issues.
j. Fluent in Dari, Pashto and English (written and oral).
k. Personal integrity, sense of humour, intuitive and self-motivation
l. Knowledge of personal strengths and weaknesses, active listener
Duties & Responsibilities:
· With the assistance of project coordinator, the agriculturist will develop quarterly and monthly work plan and budget plans, including monthly monitoring plan.
· He/she will conduct monthly visits to district programme site at 90 % time to field to observe and assess the performance of target beneficiaries’ and provide to them information and technical advice as required.
· He/she will closely work with relevant project field staff and target farmers to implement the project activities and will send monthly progress report against the agreed objectives and outcomes.
· Conduct need assessment survey in both provinces.
· Procure and distribution of the poultry inputs, improved wheat seeds ,Alfalfa seeds
· Conduct mobilization meetings with target farmers, and promote sustainability through farmer’s participation and involvement in all Agricultural activities.
· Seek technical advice from the Project Manager in Agriculture related project activities and impart the knowledge and information to the target beneficiaries through training and demonstration on improved agriculture production.
· Conduct regular visits to farmer’s fields, identify technical problems investigate causes, advise effective solutions to farmers and commercial growers to assure crop quality and low crop damage and ensure increased crop production levels.
· Provide information or recommendations to farmers or other landowners regarding ways in which they can best use land, promote plant growth, or avoid or correct problems such as erosion.
· Develop methods of conserving or managing soil that can be applied by farmers.
· Conduct experiments to develop new or improved varieties of field crops, focusing on characteristics such as yield, quality, disease resistance, nutritional value, or adaptation to specific soils or climates.
· Develop new or improved methods or products for controlling or eliminating weeds, crop diseases, or insect pests and identify or classify species of insects such as locust.
· Document and share case studies, success stories and field visit reports as and when required.
· Discussion with the community regarding extension of new methodology and introducing new varieties and techniques in the area.
· He/she will watershed management training, orchard management and agro technique training to project farmers.
· He/she will carry out the post distribution and post harvesting survey in the field.
· He /she will establish orchards in the target area.
- Undertake any other duties as and when required by the line manager and/or overview manager.
Job Location:Afghanistan, Badakhshan, Samangan
Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture, Horticulture, Agronomy or Agriculture Extension from a reputed university.