|Date Posted:||Jan 14, 2020|
|Closing Date:||Jan 27, 2020|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||2|
|Salary Range:||As per NTA salary scale policyAF|
|Years of Experience:||4 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has approved a grant to the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan in the amount of $ 348.78 million plus $ 40 million by IFAD, for the implementation of the Arghandab Integrated Water Resource Development Project (“the Project”). The outcome of the project is improved management and use of water resources in the Arghandab River basin. The four anticipated outputs are (i) Dahla Dam capacity increased (ii) Reliability of Irrigation water supply increased, (iii) Agricultural water productivity improved and, (iv) Capacity in water resource management strengthened. Arghandab project was a approved by Board of Directors on Sep 11, 2019 for a period of 6 years. Arghandab project has four components that will be implemented by MEW, MAIL and MRR. The components are: 1. Dahla Dam capacity increased. This will be delivered through three key activities: (a) civil works to raise the main dam, six saddle dams, spillways and other associated structures line and intake tower, which will increase the full reservoir level by 13.6 m and storage capacity from 288 MCM to 782 MCM. 2. Output 2: Reliability of irrigation water supply increased through irrigation infrastructure modernization including canal and structures upgrading, introducing monitoring and control systems on the AIS and community-managed systems. 3. Output 3: Agricultural water productivity improved. Capacity of farmers will be strengthened to improve farm management, adopt climate-smart irrigation and agricultural technologies and practices to improve production and sustainability. 4. Output 4: Capacity in water resource management and use strengthened. The project will (a) support development of policy, legislation and regulatory options for a system of water entitlements and allocation to allow improved management of water resources (b) Provide water resources management training for government staff including women; and (c) Establishment of a National Hydrological Modelling Platform for integrated water resources policy, planning, operations and management to strengthen water resources management The Ministry of Finance is the Executing Agency and the Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL), the Implementing Agency for the Project. MAIL was appointed as Implementing Agency in view of its mandate to manage and guide development of the agriculture, irrigation and livestock sub-sectors of Afghanistan’s rural and urban communities. MAIL will established a Project Management Unit (PMU) within MAIL’s Central Program Management Office (CPMO) to be responsible for day to day implementation of the Project including (i) overall management and coordination of the relevant outputs; (ii) guiding and overseeing the work of the Project Implementation Unit (PIU); (iii) establishment and implementation of the project performance management system; (iv) hiring of project staff; (v) confirming sub-project selection, feasibility studies and submitting to ADB for “no-objection”; (vi) procurement of goods, works and services, following ADB procedures; (vii) establishing and managing advance account, submission of withdrawal applications to ADB, retention of supporting documents; (viii) preparation of annual forecast of contract awards and disbursements; (ix) compilation of reports from the PIUs and preparation of project progress reports; (x) submission of progress reports and annual audit report and financial statements; and (xi) preparation of a project completion report.
The Agriculture Officer will play active role in the implementation of farm level sub-projects and will technically support the project beneficiaries on best production practices regarding the use maintenance and management of on-farm investments and marketing of horticultural produce, and he/she will be work under the direct supervision of Head of PIU
· Knowledgeable of the role and responsibilities of agriculture.
· Experience in undertaking in the field of agriculture and horticulture.
· Able to work effectively at all levels in an organization.
· Excellent active listening skills & familiarity with project management approaches.
· Excellent writing and communication skills in English, Pashtu and Dari languages.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The specific responsibility of the Agriculture Officer would include but not limited to the followings:
· Plan, coordinate and implement project Agriculture/horticulture related activities in line with the project objectives and agreed plans;
· Assess the current situation of pre-selected horticulture crops (value chains) and provide guidance to farmers on how to address issues that may limit horticulture crops production and productivity;
· Develop training materials, assist the team and train farmers on best horticulture production practices including the use, maintenance and management of on-farm facilities;
· Prepare training materials and work as trainer in areas related to extension in all regular training courses of the project,
· Be able to travel frequently to the project sites in districts where Arghandab project is implemented.
· Assist the senior management and other team members with the management, oversight, coordination and monitoring of all activities in the field.
· Ensure timely preparation and submission of required technical and other reports and success stories as outlined in the program.
· Suggest policy measures required for the improvement of agricultural extension and rural support services delivery.
· Advice, support and guide Provincial and District teams on agriculture related issues.
· Identify and create farmers’ groups, associations and unions for the development and dissemination of agricultural extension and rural support services.
· Examine potentials for modernizing agriculture through delivery of effective extension and rural support services.
· Provide technical support to selected farmer entrepreneurs on cultivation techniques of high value crops (i.e.; planting, irrigation, fertilizers application, IPM, harvesting and storage of high value crops);
· Develop monitoring and visits plans to oversee progress of the field activities;
· Establish and provide regular extension services to the selected farmers;
· Coordinate closely with the suppliers of farms support package materials (i.e. farm level inputs) during the distribution;
· Institutional capacity of building of water management and resources.
· Having the capacity of irrigation design and implementation.
· Strong capacity of M&E in community groups management system.
· Support the introduction and adoption of appropriate agriculture technologies specifically for rain-feed and irrigated each production and productivity to contribute to food security.
· Strengthen the planning, implementation and monitoring capacities of the provincial and district extension staff.
· Establish and support Farmer's Learning and Resource Centers (FLRCs), farmer’s interest groups and producers' associations, and to facilitate private sector linkages
· Assess existing situation of agricultural and rural support services in target areas.
· Coordinate closely with farmers and suppliers during the establishment of on-farm activities and implementation of farm-level sub-projects;
· Advice and take active part with regards to beneficiary selection, site selection, land preparation and implementation of farm level activities;
· In coordination with the PIU Head and technical team, provide technical advice to farmers on orchards, vineyards and greenhouses management, including; training and pruning of orchards and vineyards, soil management, vegetables production, harvesting, sorting, grading, packing and other relevant post-harvest activities;
· Develop quality reports on weekly and monthly basis and submit to the Head of PIU.
· Undertake other duties and responsibilities commensurate with the role and level of this job as may be requested by the PIU Head.
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kandahar
· Bachelor Degree in BSC, Agriculture or horticulture, Irrigation with four years of relevant experience.