|Date Posted:||Oct 30, 2019|
|Closing Date:||Nov 30, 2019|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||As per NTA salary scale policyAF|
|Years of Experience:||5 - 8 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About Urban Health Initiative (UHI) - USAID:
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of: Child Health & Nutrition Technical Specialist (UHI project)
We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of Child Health & Nutrition Technical Specialist for an anticipated multiyear USAID Urban Health Initiative (UHI) in Afghanistan. The activity aims to improve health outcomes through improved availability and quality of high-impact, sustainable, accessible, and quality health and nutrition services within urban settings of Afghanistan. The project also will work with the Ministry of Public Health, the private sector, and nascent professional accreditation bodies to improve governance and quality assurance of FP/MNCH, TB, and nutrition services in urban areas.
This position is subject to project award and funding.
The Child Health & Nutrition Technical Specialist will be an FHI 360 employee working in and placed at the UHI office in Kabul. Under the guidance of the Technical Director, the Child Health & Nutrition Technical Specialist will assist with coordination, mentorship, and implementation of facility-based well child, immunization, growth monitoring, and acute childhood illness and malnutrition service improvement across public and private sector facilities; mentoring MoPH and other partner conduct of supportive supervision and on the job training; and providing focused technical assistance as needed to MoPH, project partners, and facility teams.
Duties & Responsibilities:
· Assisting in the assessment of child health, immunization, and nutrition service quality and gap analysis in conjunction with MoPH and consortium partners.
· Providing technical support in the development, and dissemination of tools, strategies for technical assistance and mentorship, materials, reports, and intervention for child health, immunization, and nutrition care service provision.
· Ensuring project implementation adheres to organization and project strategy and remains technically sound.
· Working closely with assigned team to ensure activities and mentorship are implemented according to standard operating procedures (SOP’s) and national guidelines for practice and quality. This is particularly critical for severe acute malnutrition treatment and IMCI quality assurance.
· Assisting with the implementation of the project by monitoring and documenting technical assistance and mentorship approaches, processes, and outcomes.
· Preparing reports and papers summarizing project results, assists with publications, web pages and presentation development, technical briefs, or other necessary documents to facilitate research, best practices, policies and procedures related to child health and nutrition programming.
· Monitoring and maintaining protocols, instruments, data sets, manuals, training and monitoring materials and reports.
· Conducting searches of published literature and international standards on evolving issues and best practices in child health and nutrition.
· Conducting analysis of program implementation to identify areas for improvement and propose appropriate technical assistance strategy and guidelines.
· Delivering presentations at professional meetings and conferences.
· Willingness to travel to regional urban capitals for technical assistance provision and quality assurance.
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kabul
· Master’s degree in health, public health or related field; medical training as a doctor or midwife preferred.
· 5-8 years of technical assistance experience in health, particularly in the pediatrics and/or nutrition area.
· Proficiency with database management software, Microsoft Office Suite, and on-line search tools required.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Dari; Pashto fluency is highly desired.
· Has sensitivity to cultural diversity and understanding of the political, contextual, and ethical issues in assigned areas.
· Articulate and professional and able to communicate in a clear, positive fashion with stakeholders.
· Prior work experience in a similar position within a non-governmental organization (NGO), government agency, or private company.
· Excellent organizational and analytical skills and strong ability to manage and meet multiple tasks.
· Substantial experience of developing working relations with stakeholders and beneficiaries; clinical skill training and capacity development experience preferred.
· Working knowledge of concepts, practices and procedures with providing technical support for family planning and reproductive health activities/ projects highly desired.
- Qualified female candidates particularly encouraged to apply