|Date Posted:||Dec 8, 2019|
|Closing Date:||Dec 21, 2019|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||As per company salary scaleAF|
|Years of Experience:||15 Years|
|Contract Type:||Service Contract|
About UN-WFP Afghanistan:
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world's largest humanitarian Agency, fighting hunger worldwide. WFP has been working in Afghanistan since 1963. WFP food assistance aims to help the most vulnerable, food insecure Afghans, including women and children, as well as families affected by conflict and natural disasters. In 2018, WFP Afghanistan provided food assistance to more than 4 million people through a series of programme interventions across the country. Thanks to its newly approved Country Strategic Plan (2018-2022), WFP Afghanistan is well placed to provide comprehensive support to the country in achieving Zero Hunger by 2030 via its six closely interrelated outcomes, which range from emergency response to livelihoods creation, as well as nutrition programmes based on a life-cycle approach, and the strengthening of national food systems. Such national-led framing of all strategic result areas of the CSP will contribute to the country’s long-term transition to development and aspiration for peace. For more information, see wfp.org
WFP’s Afghanistan Country Office (AFGCO) is planning to construct a new office building in Kandahar, Afghanistan. The project is currently under design and it is envisaged that the construction would commence in the second quarter of 2020.
In order to move the project forward, there is need for a national Senior Engineer has been identified to manage the construction phase of the project.
Further ongoing construction projects include the security upgrades and rehabilitation of other WFP facilities across Afghanistan as assigned.
This position will be with AFGCO based in Kandahar, Afghanistan and requires the engagement of a competent Senior Engineer, who will work with and report to the International Construction Engineer/ project Manager in Kandahar and provide services to the various units including supply chain, administration, UNHAS and Security.
The main tasks required of the position will include engineering design review; engineering project management; construction procurement processes; contract management; construction management and technical support to AFGCO operations.
The Senior Engineer shall be able to demonstrate a strong competence with progressively responsible roles in the following engineering technologies: building construction, including competence in the concrete and steel structures, planning and programming engineering construction activities.
Provinces to travel:
Duties & Responsibilities:
The Senior Engineer shall report to International Construction Engineer/ project Manager in Kandahar and shall take technical direction from the Chief Engineer and WFP Engineering in HQ, in relation to all aspects of, design, construction and contract management for projects in Afghanistan, as required. The duties shall include but are not limited to the following:
1. Contribute to the implementation of WFP Policies, standards, norms and practices ensuring compliance with wider WFP policies, procedures, guidelines and operations. Apply and implement WFP Construction Manual procedures and processes.
2. Provide engineering and project management services, apply best practices, standards and innovative technologies that comply with WFP standards and processes.
3. Contribute towards the analysis of project proposal to enable effective decision making on project technical feasibility.
4. Prepare evidenced based recommendations for Country Office management on measures to improve WFP facilities suitability to operational purpose, safety, and efficiency of structures and equipment.
5. Collate data and contribute to preparation of accurate and timely reporting on outputs to facilitate informed decision-making and consistency of information presented to the stakeholders.
6. Undertake site visits to project sites, and conduct technical assessments of buildings according to specifications and area mentioned in the Project description.
7. Undertake preliminary or detailed designs (preparing, writing and assembling drawings, schematics, masterplans, design calculations and reports, technical specifications) and requiring a detailed knowledge of the international (and local) standards and codes.
8. Develop project budgets or preliminary and detailed costs estimations to implement civil, structural, electrical, mechanical or special systems within the projects (including feasibility studies, or project schedules, or bids). Work-time estimates could be also required.
9. Support Afghanistan Country Office with the preparation of Scope of Works, tender packages, tender evaluation, contracting and reporting.
10. Prepare technical documentation as regard to bidding processes, for construction or design services.
11. Provide technical guidance that support a successful construction procurement process.
12. Prepare and assemble construction contract documentations.
13. Attend meetings and prepare and review reports, minutes and correspondence.
14. Liaise with stakeholders, both internal and external to the organization.
15. Undertake administrative tasks as required, and provide project management services for the projects where and when requested.
16. Provide guidance and direction to contractors and design consultants.
17. Supervise construction works, programming and co-ordination.
18. Review and evaluation of planned and 'in progress' construction projects.
19. Establishment and maintenance of project performance monitoring, evaluation and reporting procedures, up to project completion.
20. Manage contractual matters (not limited to performance bonds, insurances, claims, advance payment guarantees etc.). This includes interpretation of the contract documents. Explain and or reconcile any ambiguities and or discrepancies in the contract documents and apply the various provisions of the contract documents.
21. Prepare and manage cash flow programmes.
22. Assist in the settlement of audits and enquiries (if any), pertaining to a project.
23. Assurance of the quality of the works during design and construction.
24. Undertake design reviews (reading, interpreting and critique/comment on technical drawings, schematics, and computer-generated reports) and giving advice and recommendation.
25. Operate computer-assisted engineering and design software and equipment to perform engineering tasks.
26. Preparation and issuance of bi-weekly reports to WFP Engineering with regards to construction and engineering activities in country
27. Executing the planning, design and implementation of infrastructure and building projects in accordance with the WFP Construction Manual and ensuring adherence to WFP policies and procedures.
28. Liaising with all relevant WFP departments to ensure a coordinated approach to infrastructure projects.
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kandahar
Education: First University degree in Civil Engineering. Hold or be eligible for Accreditation to “Professional Engineer” or “Chartered Engineer” status, or recognised equivalent by an appropriate national or international regulatory authority (Not necessary but an advantage)
Experience: Minimum 15 years of relevant civil engineering experience at increasing levels of responsibilities.
Knowledge & Skills:
• Good communication and leadership skills.
• Knowledge and/or experience in engineering design
• Detailed knowledge of construction contract formats and contract management obligations.
• Good knowledge of public procurement procedures; international contract formats and construction management procedures.
• Experience of working within the Humanitarian Community.
• Good knowledge of AutoCAD 2D
Languages: Fluency in English language (Level C).