|Date Posted:||Nov 5, 2019|
|Closing Date:||Nov 19, 2019|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Functional Area:||Communication,Media,Literature,Graphic Designer,Social Science|
|Salary Range:||As per company salary scaleAF|
|Years of Experience:||5 - 7 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
|Contract Type:||Service Contract|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations:
Through its Country Offices, or FAO Representations, FAO assists governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to address hunger, food security and malnutrition, and provides technical support for the sustainable development of their agricultural, livestock, animal health, and irrigation and forestry sectors as well as emergency preparedness and response to conflict and natural affected events. The activities of the FAO Representation include design and implementation of country-tailored field programmes, liaison with local donor representatives and active public awareness raising and outreach activities related to the mandate of FAO.
FAO assistance in Afghanistan achieves its objectives through capacity development and direct project implementation in four specific areas of FAO’s technical expertise:
- Better governance through improved capacity for policy planning, land reform, decentralization, and management of common natural resources;
- Fostering expansion of irrigation and field water management;
- Intensive agriculture for surplus commercialization, value chains development, and job creation; and
- Supporting vulnerable farmers for improved food & nutrition security, resilience, and emergency response to natural and man-made disasters and climate change.
The overall goal of the project is to improve monitoring and analysis of agricultural production systems to support agricultural policies and food security in the country. The project’s objectives are: i) to improve monitoring and analysis of agricultural production systems; ii) to develop/strengthen land resources information management systems (LRIMS) and National Agro-Ecological Zoning (NAEZ) and iii) enhance the capacity at national and provincial levels for collection, monitoring, analysis and dissemination of agriculture information based on integration of remotely-sensed data and technology for decision-making to support agricultural policies and food security in the country.
Purpose of this vacancy announcement:
FAO is looking for qualified national staff fill the position of National Communication & Knowledge Management Assistant. This position will support the work of the EU-funded “Strengthening Afghanistan Institutions capacity for the assessment of agriculture production and scenario development” project. The post is located in Kabul with frequent travel to provinces.
The project activities are implemented successfully, timely and effectively in conformity with the objectives of the project.
Reporting Lines / Supervision Received/Exercised:
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Afghanistan and the direct supervision of National Team Leader, and technical guidance of the Lead Technical Officer (LTO) in the FAO Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific (RAP), and in close collaboration with the relevant staff in FAO Afghanistan and counterpart entities, the Communication & Knowledge Management Assistant the incumbent will carry out the following tasks;
Provinces to travel:
- At least five (5) years of relevant work experience in journalism, media and communication, public relation, and knowledge management with UN and international organizations, embassies, donor-funded projects or Government of Afghanistan in a multi-cultural offices environment is required.
- Experience in project visibility and Graphics design
- Experience with donor funded projects, Government of Afghanistan and UN agencies will be an added advantage;
Other Desirable Skills:
- Experience in multi stakeholder analysis, and in mobilizing or creating awareness about development projects;
- Excellent interpersonal communication and coordination skills, and proven ability to work constructively with a variety of stake holders to achieve common goals;
- Good knowledge of protocol, good judgment and initiative
- Good knowledge of corporate information systems
- Good data analysis skills and interpretation of data;
- Strong computer skills, in especially all MS Office applications and basic internet search engines or other relevant online tools;
- Familiarity with UN agencies procedures for project implementation.
- Excellent knowledge of English and local languages, both spoken and written skills.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Undertake the responsibility of all communication and knowledge management related tasks of the project;
- Assist in organizing the press conference to introduce the project for journalists, local institutions, stakeholders, local NGOs, academic research organizations and private sector involved in agriculture production;
- Design, print and distribute the press folders to relevant stakeholders, to provide basic information (a press folder could include: a paper press release, a leaflet, a branded gadget);
- Developing and dissemination of news through the official Web sites of the European Union, FAO, government stakeholders and Global Agro-Ecological Zones (GAEZ).
- Developments and publication of periodic press releases, for local media (magazines, television radio), to inform the target groups of the country;
- Develop, disseminate and share periodic newsletters, to a mailing list of local and international institutions, organizations, donors involved in cooperation and the opinion of farmers and sharing through social media and through the official Websites of the European Union, FAO, Government stakeholders and GAEZ;
- Production of video materials, including interviews of satisfied beneficiaries to be shared with media, on the FAO Web site and with others such as FAO YouTube, the national media and/or European media;
- Invitation of national media and/or European media to meet beneficiaries at work;
- Capture, document, analyses and report information/activities of the program trainings and events;
- Plan field visits to targeted project areas on a timely basis to gather the information and results related to the project for reporting in multiple forms including written documents, audio and video visual documentaries etc.;
- Support all components of the projects in terms of producing and documenting all activities reports and visibility materials in accordance with the organization regulation and resource partner requirements;
- Assist Project Manager and staff in preparing ad-hoc, six-monthly and annual progress reports;
- Prepare and edit success stories, good practices, and other publishing materials which are related to project progress and success considering the procedures of the Organization and requirement of resource partner;
- Coordinate with FAO communication team in FAOR, Kabul to standardize communication and publication materials such as brochure, pamphlets, flex boards, banners, batches, PowerPoints slides, booklets, press releases etc.
- Launching of Story Map to share general information and Web Atlas to disseminate the project results of National Agro-Ecological Zones (NAEZ) monitoring in Afghanistan (statistics and projection on yield production);
- Develop and distribution to the participants of a multipage brochure that collects all project information from start to finish;
- Final event and press conference to introduce the results of the project – for journalists, local institutions, stakeholders, local NGO’s, academic research organizations, private sector involved in agriculture production and European Union/FAO Representations;
- Perform any other duties as required by the National Team Leader and FAO management.
- Press conferences/events;
- Three or four press releases (for magazines, TV and radio broadcast);
- Four newsletters every year;
- Develop success story of the project
- Social media and Web site sharing;
- Press folders, leaflets and brochures;
- Branded gadgets (to define);
- Panels or posters;
- Web apps (‘StoryMap’ and ‘Web Atlas’)
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kabul
- University degree in Journalism, Mass Media Communication, Knowledge Management, Literature, Graphics Design or relevant fields from a recognized university;