|Date Posted:||Aug 6, 2019|
|Closing Date:||Aug 20, 2019|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Functional Area:||Business Administration ,Public Relations,Communication|
|Salary Range:||As per NTA salary scale policyAF|
|Years of Experience:||4 - 7 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
|Probation Period:||11 months|
About Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan:
The Eshteghal Zaiee – Karmondena (EZ-Kar) Project is expected to be officially launched in January 2019. The Project aims to strengthen the enabling environment for economic opportunities in cities where there is a high influx of displaced people. This will be pursued by increasing the returnees’ access to civil documents, providing short-term employment opportunities, improving market enabling infrastructure, and supporting investor friendly regulatory reforms.
The project design as mentioned above will include multiple implementing agencies, namely Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA), Ministry of Refugees and Repatriation (MoRR), Kabul Municipality, and Independent Directorate of Local Governance (IDLG). At the central level, Ministry of Economy (MoEC) will serve as the lead line Ministry responsible for inter-ministerial coordination among stakeholders within the Government. MoEC, with the support of the World Bank, will carry out overall project coordination.
This assignment particularly relates to Component 1 of the Project, which will support Afghan refugees (both registered and unregistered) in Pakistan and their voluntary repatriation. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA) will be the Implementing Agency (IA) for the component, both in Afghanistan and in Pakistan, while the Ministry of Refugees and Repatriation (MoRR) will be involved in the implementation of communications activities. The component provides technical assistance, institutional support and training, necessary equipment, and operational assistance to MoFA to: (a) enhance its capacity to provide consular services (such as issuance of passports and verification of certificates); (b) develop and implement a joint communication strategy for MoFA and MoRR to disseminate information to Afghan refugees in Pakistan in order to facilitate their access to economic opportunities and social services through communication campaigns and information centers at MoFA missions in selected cities of Pakistan, in collaboration with MoRR; and (c) support day-to-day implementation of Component 1 of the Project
The Component 1 Project Implementation Unit Coordinator (C1PIU Coordinator) will be recruited to lead the work of C1PIU for EZ-Kar within MoFA. The C1PIU Coordinator will work under the supervision of the Director General, Consular Affairs. Broadly, the C1PIU Coordinator is responsible for ensuring that activities planned under Component 1 of the EZ-Kar Project are implemented as designed and in compliance with the requirements and regulations of the Government of Afghanistan and the World Bank
Duties & Responsibilities:
The Component 1 Project Implementation Unit Coordinator (C1PIU Coordinator) will be recruited to lead the work of C1PIU for EZ-Kar within MoFA. The C1PIU Coordinator will work under the supervision of the Director General, Consular Affairs. Broadly, the C1PIU Coordinator is responsible for ensuring that activities planned under Component 1 of the EZ-Kar Project are implemented as designed and in compliance with the requirements and regulations of the Government of Afghanistan and the World Bank. Specific responsibilities include:
· Supervise C1PIU functions on all matters pertaining to the smooth operation of the component, in accordance with procedures, obligations and implementation arrangements specified in the Financing Agreement, Grant Agreement, Component 1 Operations Manual, Project Appraisal Document, Environmental and Social Management Framework, and other relevant documents of the project. This includes daily Component 1 project management tasks related to human resources management, financial management, procurement, communications, safeguards, grievance redress, reporting, and M&E.
· With the support of other C1PIU staff, lead the preparation and submission of Annual Work Plans and Budgets (AWPB), quarterly Interim Unaudited Financial Reports, periodic implementation progress reports, and other briefing and reporting documents required by MoFA, MoEC, the World Bank, and other donors.
- Oversee the recruitment and work performance of the C1PIU staff and other consultants and firms hired under Component 1.
· Support MoFA to set-up and operate the ministry-wide Component 1 Project Steering Committee (C1PSC) which will be established within MoFA, and serve secretariat functions (e.g. organization of the logistics, preparation of the agenda and minutes of the meetings). The C1PSC will meet on a monthly basis and as needed to review Component 1 implementation progress, identify any issues that need to be addressed, and agree on actions to ensure effective implementation of the component.
· Represent C1PIU in the inter-ministerial EZ-Kar Project Technical Committee, and also participate in and contribute to other coordination mechanisms.
· Make periodic visits to the Afghan Embassy and consulates in Pakistan as necessary to support and supervise project implementation (also train and mentor relevant staff recruited to implement Component 1 activities in the Embassy and consulates as necessary).
· Proactively address issues affecting project Component 1 implementation.
· As the representative of C1PIU, liaise with the World Bank, MoFA, MoRR, MoEC, UNHCR, and other stakeholders of the Component and the EZ-Kar Project. Provide on-time response to the inquiries from donors and Government through letters, email and phone calls;
· Oversee the management and monitoring of the grievances redress system coordinated by the Sr. Gender/Safeguards Officer of C1PIU, and take necessary actions to address grievances at the PIU level;
· Train and mentor relevant staff in C1PIU on project management and implementation procedures, and provide regular guidance to them on all aspects of project implementation.
· Together with the C1PIU Advisor, oversee the conduct of various analyses and consolidation of lessons-learned to enhance the performance of the Component.
· Participate in the Component 1 Joint Communications Committee (JCC), which will be established between MoFA and MoRR to develop the communications strategy and to review and approve communications materials to be used under this subcomponent.
· Provide oversight to the development and operation of the monitoring and evaluation system for Component 1.
· Any other Component 1-related functions as may be required by MoFA and EZ-Kar leadership.
Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration, Project Management, Economics, Business Administration, Law, Foreign Affairs, Public Policy, or similar related disciplines.
- Demonstrated ability for leadership in context of consensual decision-making
- Demonstrated planning and management skills
- Excellent writing and oral presentation skills
- Strong negotiation and interpersonal skills
- Willingness and ability to work in hardship environments
- Cultural and Gender sensitivity
- Experience in building partnerships
- Fluency in English and Dari or Pashto
- Knowledge and/or experience of consular services desirable
- Experience working with a World Bank-supported project a plus