|Date Posted:||Jul 10, 2017|
|Reference:||HR04 - DCS-KU/FTL-17|
|Closing Date:||Jul 30, 2017|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||3|
|Salary Range:||Salary is negotiableNone|
|Years of Experience:||3 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
About Karwan University:
Karwan University is the leading private university in Kabul, Afghanistan. It was established in 2007 and it was awarded license from Ministry of Higher Education of Afghanistan for bachelor degree courses. Its main objective is to educate, support, prepare and encourage the young generation of Afghanistan. Karwan University has built its own state of the art campus meeting all international university standards plus our educational quality is Karwan University’s major asset.
The Department of Computer Science at the Karwan University, invites applications for full-time lecturer position starting with the 2017-2018 academic year. Successful applicants will find the Computer Science Department to be a stimulating and diverse environment conducive to professional growth in teaching. Lecturers are considered an essential part of the faculty and participate in departmental decisions pertaining to education. KU is located in one of the best location of the capital city Kabul. The campus offers a very pleasant year-round climate, numerous recreational and cultural opportunities, and one of the highest-ranked public school systems in the nation. For more information about the CS Department, please visit www.karwan.edu.af.
Review of applications will begin after closing date. Each application should contain: a cover letter, CV, a description of teaching interests (Detailing university-level teaching background, philosophy, experience with education assessment and program improvement, and specific course/topic interests), recent passport size photo and 2-3 letters of reference/recommendation. In addition, a statement of applicant's contributions to diversity is required - statement addressing how your past and/or potential contributions to diversity will advance your Commitment to Inclusive Excellence.
Total lectures per week 18-25 Lecture hours
Required documents at the time of application 1. Letter of interest / Cover letter
2. Updated Curriculum Vitae (CV) / Resume
3. Description of teaching experience
4. 2-3 letter of reference / recommendation
5. Recent passport size photograph
6. Statement of Research (if applicable)
Duties & Responsibilities:
The main responsibilities of a CS lecturer include but are not limited to:
1. Computer science lecturers are responsible for instructing computer science subjects to the university students. They guide and assist students in their entire learning experience, including welcoming them to the class, creating a curriculum and presenting all class information.
2. Computer science lecturers specifically teach their students about computer science, which includes the study of but not limited to
a. How computer process and store information
b. How the networking is done?
c. How the software is being engineered and what are the process, steps and levels involved in it
d. How the web sites are designed and developed?
e. How the databases are developed and administered?
f. They teach students to write computer programs, algorithms and programming languages; computer systems design is also covered.
3. The CS lecturer is responsible to teach 24-30 credit hours per week.
4. Encourage the students to study books and refer them to use the library books for their subjects through any means such as conducting seminars, workshops, information sessions etc.
5. Helping in achievement of BCS department strategic objectives.
6. The lecturer works with the HOD of computer science to develop relevant, high quality programs for delivery.
7. CS lecturer is also responsible to support the BCS department staff during the exams and to maintain the quality.
8. Cooperating with the HOD and staff for properly scheduling & conducting classes, sessions, workshops, and related tasks of the department.
9. Maintain and update the course curriculums and outlines as per the standards.
10. Develop course plans and schedules for the instructors and keep them update.
11. Dealing with students queries and problems
12. Preparing the curriculum and presenting the material to his or her class is one of the main duties of a lecturer.
13. As fulltime instructor the CS lecturer will teach 24-30 hours per week.
14. Lessons are delivered according to the CS department schedule and are purposefully planned and managed in accordance with the course objectives, class needs and quality standards.
15. Teaching materials produced to adapt and supplement the course are appropriate to students’ needs and expectations.
16. Students are assessed according to IT Unit policy.
17. Homework is set and marked in a timely manner.
18. As an Instructor the CS lecturer undertakes to arrive in good time for classes (at least 15 minutes before class).
19. The instructor is responsible for presenting a professional image in appearance and demeanor.
20. Class records (including attendance) are kept in hard and soft copy. Enough detail should be given to enable a substitute teacher to take over the class.
21. Computer science lecturers complete many other general tasks as well, such as tracking attendance, assigning homework, grading assignments, giving feedback and communicating effectively with students at all levels of technological understanding.
22. Other tasks that teachers may complete include holding office hours, ensuring that class materials are up to date, reviewing curriculum and demonstrating professionalism in dealing with others.
23. Any other task given by the direct line manager/HoD.
Master degree in Computer Science, IT, Information Systems, Telecom or related field. An applicant with a scientific paper publication in the related field will be preferred.
At least have 3 years prior teaching experience in related field.
Online certification (from Cisco and/or Microsoft) is an advantage.
English, Dari and Pashto languages fluency.
The applicant must have the pre-planning skills and capabilities. Proactivity is key of success in this job.
Excellent interpersonal skills. Manages with meticulous attention to detail.
Excellent administration skills and Experience.
Superior written and oral communications skills in English, Dari and Pashto.
Sensitivity to religious and cultural differences
Should be able to work under intense situation
Must be able to handle the pressure of work
A team-oriented individual interested in helping participants achieve result
Must be available off the class to the students when needed.