|Date Posted:||Apr 27, 2019|
|Closing Date:||May 20, 2019|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Functional Area:||Civil Engineering|
|Salary Range:||As per company salary scaleAF|
|Years of Experience:||10 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Open Ended|
United Nation Office for Project SUNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
UNOPS strategy for Afghanistan is aimed at providing maximum support to the Government and people of Afghanistan though the delivery of projects and services in line with the government’s own priorities. The UNOPS Afghanistan Operation Center (AFOC) has been established as an organizational mechanism to deliver a range of projects for which UNOPS has been designated as the implementation agency. At present, UNOPS AFOC is implementing a number of projects in a range of sectors including infrastructure (roads and schools) development, capacity building to various ministries, and environmental protection, among others, on behalf of the Government of Afghanistan and the donor community.
The functional objective of UNOPS AFOC is to deliver projects in an efficient and effective manner, to achieve the development outcomes sought by the Government of Afghanistan and the donor community, where capacity building is always considered and encouraged. The aim of UNOPS AFOC is to provide implementation services to the Government of Afghanistan, the donor community and partner agencies in the reconstruction and development of the country. In doing so, UNOPS aims to exceed client expectations in the delivery of quality services throughout the country.ervices
Reporting to the Programme Manager KSIP, the Construction Engineer – Vertical Infrastructure (CE) will be responsible for successfully delivering on-site construction activities under the project. Specifically, the CE will be responsible for:
Requires travel to provinces:
https://jobs.unops.org/images/competencies/en/12.png">Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)https://jobs.unops.org/images/competencies/en/7.png">Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
https://jobs.unops.org/images/competencies/en/8.png">Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.https://jobs.unops.org/images/competencies/en/9.png">Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).https://jobs.unops.org/images/competencies/en/10.png">Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.https://jobs.unops.org/images/competencies/en/5.png">Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.https://jobs.unops.org/images/competencies/en/11.png">Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.https://jobs.unops.org/images/competencies/en/6.png">Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Delivering on-site building construction and refurbishment works under the project ensuring quality of work exceeding specification requirements, meeting time and cost targets specified and maintaining high level of satisfaction of all stakeholders concerned.
- Leading a team of national engineers, architects and quantity surveyors to ensure effective participation of the team in the delivery of building construction and refurbishment projects.
- Checking drawings, specifications and other design and construction documentation to ensure accuracy and constructability, identify potential design and construction issues at early stages well before they occur, and provide advice to the team on effectively resolving them.
- Working with the contractors and their staff on a daily basis to ensure delivery is maintained at the required level to meet project quality, time and cost targets.
- Working with the Health, Safety, Social and Environmental (HSSE) Officer and other team members, ensure the HSSE aspects are effectively managed to meet project HSSE targets.
- Organise regular site meetings, chair the meetings, discuss the issues, provide efficient and effective solutions to issues, prepare minutes of meetings and submit to PM for approval.
- Oversee the site progress reports prepared by team members, guide them on better reporting, ensure useful reports are produced meeting AFOC report quality requirements, and submit them on a regular basis to the PM.
- Taking in to consideration the difficulties encountered in working in an environment such as Kabul, Afghanistan, ensure effective relationships are maintained with all stakeholders at all times.
- Working with the QA/QC Engineer, ensure the site works are delivered to the highest possible quality standards, setting a good example for other UNOPS projects. Ensure high level of satisfaction of stakeholders on quality of work.
- Manage the process of design changes where required, obtain necessary approvals and implement them to ensure minimum disturbance to site work.
- Proactively manage contractor variations following acceptable procedures, negotiate with the contractor to ensure value for money for the Client, implement variations and systematically record them.
- Manage and certify contractor payments and submit to PM for approval. Maintain accurate payment records for all contracts at all times.
- Resolve on-site and off-site contractual disputes with contractors amicably to minimize the need for escalating issues to higher management.
- Provide regular updates and communication with contractor, the PM, Government stakeholders, other team members and UNOPS Procurement, Human Resources, QA/QC and Project Management Office (PMO).
- Ensure that the contractors fully understand and implement the provisions of UNOPS policies and requirements in all aspects including HSSE and Gender.
- Capacity building of UNOPS local project staff, interns and Contractor’s staff where necessary to ensure knowledge and skills are imparted to them to deliver the project more effectively and efficiently and to help them building their careers in the future.
- Thoroughly understand and apply instructions and guidance from applicable norms and standards including the UNOPS Design Planning Manual, International Building Code (IBC) and applicable international and national codes, standards and specifications.
- Act as the Project’s Officer in Charge (OIC) when required during periods of absence of the PM.
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kabul
- Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering, Construction, or Architecture.
- First Level University Degree in Civil Engineering, Construction, or Architecture with an additional five years of relevant experience maybe accepted in lieu of the Master’s Degree requirement.
- Experience delivering vertical infrastructure construction projects in a development or post conflict environment is essential.
- Minimum 10 years leading, managing and overseeing vertical infrastructure project implementation teams and construction contractors.
- Five years’ experience liaising with donors, local counterparts and beneficiaries, working in international aid funded projects.
- Close familiarity with construction industry standard forms of contract such as FIDIC is required.
- Previous experience managing building construction projects in Afghanistan desirable.
- Prince 2 Practitioner Certificate or Foundation Certificate is highly desirable.