|Date Posted:||Nov 5, 2019|
|Closing Date:||Nov 19, 2019|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Functional Area:||Civil Engineering,Construction Management,Engineering,Monitoring and Evaluation|
|Salary Range:||As per company salary scaleAF|
|Years of Experience:||7 - 8 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
|Contract Type:||Service Contract|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations:
Through its Country Offices, or FAO Representations, FAO assists governments to develop policies, Programmes and projects to address hunger, food security and malnutrition, and provides technical support for the sustainable development of their agricultural, livestock, animal health, and irrigation and forestry sectors as well as emergency preparedness and response. The activities of the FAO Representation include design and implementation of country-tailored field Programmes, liaison with local donor representatives and active public awareness raising and outreach activities related to the mandate of FAO.
FAO assistance in Afghanistan achieves its objectives through capacity development and direct project implementation in four specific areas of FAO’s technical expertise:
- Better governance through improved capacity for policy planning, land reform, decentralization, and management of common natural resources;
- Fostering expansion of irrigation and field water management;
- Intensive agriculture for surplus commercialization, value chains development, and job creation;
- Supporting vulnerable farmers for improved food and nutrition security, resilience, and emergency response to natural and man-made disasters and climate change.
The subject position is located at Kabul with frequent visit to Kapisa and Bamyan provinces, Afghanistan.
The project will be implemented in the same areas as before (GCP/AFG/066,071,077/JPN project) in Kabul, Kapisa and Bamyan provinces. It will rehabilitate about 28 irrigation systems covering 7 000 hectares with the total main canal length of 191 km benefitting 16 000 farming families (directly and indirectly) through increased agricultural production and productivity. It is expected to increase wheat yield by about 25 percent from the current value in the project target areas. In addition, the project will provide water for domestic uses and other livelihood needs to the above families.
The project objectives are proposed to be achieved through the generation of the two outputs: Output 1: Local capacity developed in basin/sub-basin level in planning and management. Output 2: Improved irrigation service delivery covering 7 000 hectares based on water management plan.
Purpose of this vacancy announcement:
FAO is looking for qualified national staff to support the work of the FAO –JICA funded project “The Project for Enhancing Rural Livelihoods through Improved Irrigation Facilities in Kabul, Bamyan and Kapisa Provinces”.
FAO holds the ultimate responsibility for the implementation of the project, the delivery of the planned outputs and the achievement of the expected outcomes. The project will be managed and implemented by FAO.
The project activities are implemented successfully, timely and effectively in conformity with the objectives of the project.
Reporting Lines / Supervision Received/Exercised:
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Afghanistan and the direct supervision of International Irrigation Engineer and National Team Leader, and in close cooperation with the counterpart MEW (Ministry of Energy and Water) authorities/national staff, other projects and FAO staff, the Construction Supervision Engineer will be responsible for the following tasks:
Provinces to travel:
- At least 7 (seven) years of relevant work experience in standard quality control, field testing procedures of civil works contracts and project execution
- Experience with donor funded projects, Government of Afghanistan and UN agencies will be an added advantage;
Other Desirable & Technical Skills:
- Knowledge of Auto CAD and engendering software;
- Strong GIS skills, computer skills, in especially all MS Office applications and basic internet search engines or other relevant online tools;
- Understanding of engineering particularly irrigation schemes concepts and technologies.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and coordination skills, and a proven ability to work constructively with a variety of stakeholders to achieve common goals;
- Ability to work with minimum supervision in a multi-cultural environment;
- Excellent report writing skills
- Good data analysis skills and interpretation of data;
- Familiarity with UN agencies procedures for project implementation.
- Excellent knowledge of English and local languages, both spoken and written skills.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Inspect the construction works and guide the contractor staff to ensure quality of the construction activities implemented in the field including the material used for construction of civil works;
- Ensure that construction has been carried out in accordance to the design specifications and standards as outlined in the detailed design and drawings
- Guide and lead the contractors for using proper methods for testing and proper use of construction materials and equipment in the field;
- Inspect and report on the performance of the construction supervisors (as casual labour), outsourced Construction Supervision, if any, and Quality Control conducted by consulting firms;
- Monitor the adherence of the contractors in the field to the quality control requirements, by having a qualified engineer in the site, concrete mixers, sieving set, vibrator, etc. as applicable. Submit suitable recommendations on the controversial cases;
- Monitor the use of quality control log books, construction manual and specifications at the site with continuous tracking and guidance on the use of the site logbook;
- Monitor the use of testing tools/equipment in the construction sites to meet the quality standards;
- Inspect the performance of the work with regard to workmanship, compliance with the specifications and all necessary testing required for acceptance of any item of work;
- Inspect and approve all materials sources nominated by the Contractor;
- Assess and check the laboratory and field tests carried out by the contractors, and carry out independent tests as per the specifications;
- Report and Advice to the Contractor(s) to remove or make good any work which is found to be:
- Not in accordance with the drawings;
- Not in accordance with the specifications in terms of either work method or materials specification;
- Covering work which has not been inspected for acceptance or rejected as unacceptable;
- Maintain records of all testing work, including cross referencing to items of work to which each test refers and location from which any samples were obtained for testing;
- Prepare and participate in training courses and on-the-job training for the site implementing staff/companies, contractors’ supervisors and communities in the quality control measures and use of testing tools/equipment;
- Assist in preparing manuals related to the quality control at different levels such as community, site supervisor engineers, companies with the help of Training Coordinator; and
- Perform any other duties as required by the International Irrigation Engineer and Chief Technical Advisor.
- Provide technical advice to CTA regarding the quality control
- Keep records of the instructions given on journal regarding the quality control on site
- Deal with contractors related to the various testing of the construction materials on site
- Maintain good coordination with other colleagues of project, contractors and their representatives, MEW engineers and communities regarding the quality control issues.
- Check the construction works whether it is complied with technical specification and drawing provided.
- Keep records of all the testing done on the
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kabul
- University degree (preferably MSc) in Civil Engineering, Construction Management or closely related fields from a recognized university;