|Date Posted:||Jul 15, 2020|
|Closing Date:||Jul 31, 2020|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Functional Area:||Enviromental Science,Law,Legal|
|Salary Range:||As per company salary scaleAF|
|Years of Experience:||5 Years|
|Contract Duration:||2 month(s)|
The Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan (GoIRA) ratified the Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer and its amendments on 17 June 2004 and became the 188th Party to the Montreal Protocol. Due to Afghanistan’s recent history of military occupation, civil war and civil unrest over the last twenty-five years it was a late signatory to the Montreal Protocol. For the first time in Afghanistan the NOU was established under the structure of NEPA in September, 2004, with the main goal of protecting the Ozone Layer, controlling the ODS trades, enforcement of quota System for HCFCs. Afghanistan has signed the Montreal Protocol and Vienna Convention in 17 June, 2004. That is why in few past years the NOU has been trying to regulate its activities according to international agreements. To achieve this goal, the NOU developed the first ODS Regulation on May 2006 in order to control and monitor the ODS imports and production in the country. The NOU is the responsible body for the enforcement of national and international agreements, specifically the ODS Regulations, the Montreal Protocol and Vienna Convention.
The objective of this assignment is to update the existing ODS regulation, For the purpose of including the ban of HCFC based equipment and develop provisions related to HFC phase down (based on enabling activities project) in the ozone regulation.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop a time-plan for the project and obtain NOUs approval within a week of signing the contract.
- Based on the approved time-plan, conduct through disk studies of available regulation related to HFC phase-down and developing context –specific provisions of HFC in order to add in the ozone regulation for the national ozone unit of NEPA.
- Facilitate and lead at least one consultation meeting with stakeholders
- Review the regulation on controlling materials destructive to the ozone layer in order to expose defects and errors in its text
- Provide professional feedback on adjustments to the provisions of the regulation on controlling materials destructive to the ozone layer in order to improve and better implement them.
- Propose suitable provisions related to HFCs (HFC phase-down schedule, licensing requirements, and HFC reporting requirements)
- Modify and draft provisions related to HCFC in accordance with the proposal. “Proposal for the revision of existing national licensing system for Ozone Depleting Substances including the addition of HFCs and its blends to the licensing system”
- Draft and include provisions of HFCs and its blend, and amend HCFCs provisions if needed to the national licensing
- Add provision on the ban of HCFC based equipment to the ODS regulation.
- Ensure the compliance of the regulation with the international conventions on the subject.
- Submit the final document written in English and Dari languages.
- Master /Bachelor Degree in Environmental sciences, Law, Public policy & Administration
- 5 years work experience for bachelor and 3 years relevant work experience for master.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, Dari and or Pashto (including presentations)
- Initiative and strong decision-making skills
- Ability to think strategically