|Date Posted:||Sep 15, 2022|
|Closing Date:||Sep 28, 2022|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||As per company salary scaleAF|
|Years of Experience:||5 Years|
|Contract Duration:||1 year(s)|
|Possibility of Contract Extension:||Maybe|
|Contract Type:||Service Contract|
About UNDP/ Afghanistan :
UNDP is the leading United Nations organization fighting to end the injustice of poverty, inequality, and climate change. Working with our broad network of experts and partners in 170 countries, we help nations to build integrated, lasting solutions for people and planet. UNDP has been working in Afghanistan for more than 50 years on climate change and resilience, gender, governance, health, livelihoods, and rule of law. Under the broader framework of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and in close coordination with other UN agencies, UNDP is supporting Afghan people’s aspiration for peace, prosperity, and sustainability. UNDP is currently implementing its flagship crisis response programme, ABADEI (Area Based Approach to Development Emergency Initiatives), as part of the ongoing UN-led response to prevent a humanitarian catastrophe and the breakdown of Afghanistan’s economy following the August 2021 shift in power.
To support UN joint programming in the provision of basic human needs, a Special Trust Fund for Afghanistan (hereinafter referred as the Fund or STFA) was established on 20 October 2021.
The Fund will serve as an inter-agency mechanism to enable donors to channel their resources and coordinate their support to the ABADEI Strategy and the UN joint programmes developed under it. The Special Trust Fund for Afghanistan has a two-tier decision-making and coordination structure, through the High-level Advisory Board and Steering Committee. The Fund is administered by the UNDP Multi-Partner Trust Fund Office (MPTF Office), acting as the Administrative Agent. The Trust Fund Management Unit (TFMU) is the Fund Secretariat for STFA and is the entity responsible for the operational functioning of the Fund and provides technical and management support to the Steering Committee.
The ABADEI Strategy represents one of the first large-scale attempts to operationalize a basic human needs approach within the complex and fast evolving context of Afghanistan. Conceptually, it provides an articulation of investments in essential services, livelihoods and community resilience that complement humanitarian efforts by helping households, communities, and the private sector cope with the adverse effects of the crisis. The ABADEI Strategy aims to promote more effective and joined-up responses by strengthening the collaboration, coherence, and complementarity of interventions with those covered through the Humanitarian Response Plan. It does this by providing support to the basic human needs of communities. It is anticipated that, as the conditions change, this support could evolve.
The Fund is administered by the UNDP Multi-Partner Trust Fund Office (MPTF Office), acting as the Administrative Agent. The Trust Fund Management Unit (TFMU) is the Fund Secretariat for STFA and is the entity responsible for the operational functioning of the Fund and provides technical and management support to the Steering Committee. Under the direct supervision of the Project Management Specialist, housed in the TFMU, the Coordination Specialist (PUNOs) will (1) support effective coordination of the joint programmes in line with the United Nations Transitional Engagement Framework for Afghanistan and the respective Country Programmes of the UN agencies, funds and programmes by providing coordination and management support to programme formulation, monitoring and evaluation and joint programming initiatives in the context of the ABADEI strategy; (2) support creation and maintenance of strategic liaisons with Participating UN Organizations and relevant stakeholders for implementation of the ABADEI strategy; and (3) contribute to knowledge sharing and management to increase the awareness on ABADEI among Participating UN Organizations, stakeholders, donors, and the public.
Duties & Responsibilities:
1) Coordination of joint programme implementation in the context of the ABADEI Strategy
· Provide technical support to ensure efficient inter-agency information flows, including the preparation and dissemination of relevant documentation to Participating UN Organizations for joint programme implementation.
· Provide coordination and management support to programme formulation, monitoring and evaluation and joint programming initiatives in the context of the ABADEI strategy.
· In liaison with the M&E Specialist and RBM Specialist, coordinate the implementation of activities in the approved work plan for a joint programme, and support review of the work plan to reflect changing priorities, when applicable.
· Support integration of social, cultural and religious dimensions into risk mitigation measures, including in support to the implementation of identified mitigating measures.
· Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
· Performs other related duties as required.
2) Strategic liaisons for implementation of the ABADEI strategy
· Support the creation and coordination of partnerships with the Participating UN Organizations and other relevant stakeholders to ensure cohesion and joint efforts to achieve intended programme outcomes.
· Provide technical support on implementation of integrated risk management including guiding possible engagement with de facto administration and external partners on recommended actions to take.
· Provide substantive support to consultative, technical and steering committee meetings including proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of agenda, meeting documents and presentations, draft minutes of the meetings, etc.
· Support establishment and maintenance of strategic liaisons among regional level working groups and the central level technical coordination working group level to achieve ABADEI programme outcomes.
· Support preparation of briefs on possible opportunities for conflict sensitive yet gender targeted programming within the scope of the UN joint programmes.
· Performs other related duties as required.
3) Knowledge sharing and management
· Document best practices and lessons learned on joint programming as submitted by Participating UN Organizations to provide contributions to guide decision-making.
· Support the Communications Specialist and Participating UN Organizations in preparation of various communication products for joint programming.
· Monitor, analyze and synthesize significant amounts of information of relevance to ABADEI on conflict sensitive programme implementation, including from open sources, in close coordination with UN and other actors (e.g. civil society organizations).
· Provide sound contributions to the thematic working groups, and sub-groups on gender, social, cultural and conflict sensitive considerations for joint programming.
· Performs other related duties as required.
4. Institutional Arrangement
The Coordination Specialist will work under the direct supervision and overall guidance of the Project Management Specialist. The Coordination Specialist will also work in close collaboration with the Communications Team, Human Rights Due Diligence Specialist as well as Monitoring and Evaluation Team to support coordination of the ABADEI joint programmes; maintain strategic liaisons for implementation of the ABADEI strategy; and contribute to knowledge sharing and management. The Coordination Specialist will also liaise with the Participating UN Organizations, de facto authorities (when required), community groups, and civil society organizations, as applicable and relevant. The duty station for the Coordination Specialist is Kabul following the working hours and weekends as applicable to all UN staff in Afghanistan.
Min. Education requirements
Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, Economics, international affairs, international law, conflict prevention, political science, international development, or a related field is required.
Min. years of relevant work experience
With Master’s five years or Bachelor’s seven years of experience in inter-agency coordination, programme management, or related area in a conflict or post conflict context is required.
· Proven experience in leading inter-agency coordination for large programme portfolios is required.
· Proven experience in programme management and knowledge management for international organizations (UN agencies, INGOs) is required.
· Strong communication skills both written and verbal, excellent report writing and organizational skills is required.
Desired skills in addition to the competencies covered in the Competencies section
· Experience working in a conflict/post-conflict environment is desirable.
· Prior experience in working with international organizations (UN agencies, INGOs) on coordination and programme management is desirable.
· Previous experience in conducting and managing assessments, designing and/or providing strategic guidance is desirable.
· Prior experience in multi-partner trust funds and/or joint programmes is desirable.
· Proficiency in English – both written and oral is required.
· Knowledge of the local language Dari and/or Pashto is required.