|Date Posted:||May 21, 2017|
|Closing Date:||Jun 1, 2017|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||2|
|Salary Range:||As per NTA salary scale policyAFG|
|Years of Experience:||4 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
|Contract Type:||Service Contract|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About Ministry Of Agriculture Irrigation and Livestock:
The Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock is implementing “On Farm Water Management (OFWM)” Project, financed by the Afghanistan Reconstruction Trust Fund (ARTF), in five (5) regions, namely: Kabul, Nangarhar (Jalalabad), Balkh (Mazar-i-Sharif), Baghlan and Heart. The overall development objective (PDO) of the OFWM-Project is to improve agricultural productivity in the Project Areas by enhancing the efficiency of water used. A Kabul-based Project Management Unit (PMU) headed by the Project Manager, with the assistance of Core Team of Specialists, is responsible for execution of the project. Five Area Teams: one each in Kabul, Nangarhar (Jalalabad), Mazar-i-Sharif (Balkh), Bamyan and Heart, have been established for implementation of field activities. The project started its implementation from March, 2011 for a period of 3 years and is being monitored by Worlds Bank. The project closing date has recently been extended up to April 2016. The project has received additional fund from the World Bank (the Bank) and the period of the OFWMP has been extended to December 2019.
Part A: On-Farm Water Management
1. Carrying out social mobilization for the establishment of Irrigation Associations (IAs) in the Project Areas, including, inter alia, the provision of: (a) training to communities in organization and management of IAs; (b) facilitation services for communities to develop the IAs’ internal legal rules and regulations (by-laws); (c) assistance to IAs in order for them to be registered under the Water Law (1388); and (d) technical training to IAs regarding water distribution, maintenance of irrigation infrastructure, irrigation methods, water-saving techniques, crop-water requirements, and good agronomic practices.
2. (a) Carrying out rehabilitation works to small irrigation schemes or tertiary canals (watercourses) covering approximately 40,000 hectares in total in the Project Areas, including, inter alia: (a) rehabilitation of existing intakes, (b) canal lining; (c) construction of control structures and outlets; (d) construction of, culverts, laundry basins and cattle troughs; and
(b) Improving design standards and strengthening the private sector’s capacity for contract management and construction techniques.
3. Establishing easily accessible pilot irrigation demonstration sites in the Project Areas to showcase improved water management practices/technology and agronomic water saving techniques/measures, as well as proper farm planning and layout for an efficient use of irrigation water.
Part B: Institutional Strengthening and Capacity Building of MAIL
Developing the institutional capacity of MAIL to plan, design, implement and monitor irrigation programs, including, inter alia: (a) construction and/or renovation of office buildings, one each in Kabul, Jalalabad, Baghlan, Mazar-e-Sharif and Herat, respectively for MAIL and Project staff; (b) strengthening of MAIL’s Directorate of Irrigation at national, provincial and district levels; (c) strengthening the legal framework for the irrigation sector, (d) developing a national irrigation program, (e) undertaking of technical training in the irrigation sector including study tours transferring on-farm water management know-how; and (f) developing a database covering irrigation systems throughout the country.
Part C: Project Management, Coordination, Monitoring & Evaluation
Strengthening the institutional capacity of MAIL for Project implementation, policy development, and technical innovation, monitoring and evaluation, by establishing and maintaining a Project Implementation Unit comprised of a Kabul-based core team, five (5) Project Area Teams and internationally recruited experts.
Part D: Support for Productivity Enhancement
1. Establishing easily accessible pilot irrigation demonstration sites in the Project Area to showcase improved water management practices/technology and agronomic water saving techniques/measures, improved agronomic and social management practices, as well as proper farm planning and layout for an efficient use of irrigation water.
2. Promoting land leveling and high-efficiency irrigation technologies in the Project Area.
3. Establishing Information Centers for farmers at the provincial and district level in the Project Area.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Work and establish regular communication links with the project technical team to acquire irrigation schemes related specific data on daily basis.
Receiving data in either form (electronically or hard copy) from the project technical team and project M&E team members.
Work closely with M&E Section in verifying and cleaning of the raw data before processing.
Ensuring that all data collected have been properly computerized and coded.
In collaboration with the project MIS Section to enter the cleaned data into the computerized system of the project.
Work under the supervision of M&E Section in collaboration with the MIS Section and other technical team members to develop questionnaires and templates as per requirement.
Ensuring proper storage of all data collected (hard copies and electronic backup).
Assist M&E Section and MIS Section in analysis of some data, which will be used by project components to evaluate and present their activities on timely bases.
Ensuring the safety of computers and other equipments used for keeping data.
Assist M&E Section and MIS Section in training project staff on various designed questionnaires.
Perform other job-related duties as may be assigned by project top management from time to time.
Candidates must have achieved a Bachelor Degree with 2 years relevant experience or Baccalaureate with 4 years relevant working experience.
Proficient in MS Office applications, databases, and backups.
Pro-active and willing to learn and follow up on problems till they are resolve.
Be a team player and capable of working with others in a participatory method.
Self motivated and having strong initiative skills.
Must be fluent in English and both national languages.