|Date Posted:||Nov 5, 2019|
|Closing Date:||Nov 19, 2019|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Functional Area:||IT - Software,Database Developing,Computer Science,Information Technology|
|Salary Range:||As per company salary scaleAF|
|Years of Experience:||5 - 7 Years|
|Contract Type:||Service Contract|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations:
Through its Country Offices, or FAO Representations, FAO assists governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to address hunger, food security and malnutrition, and provides technical support for the sustainable development of their agricultural, livestock, animal health, and irrigation and forestry sectors as well as emergency preparedness and response to conflict and natural affected events. The activities of the FAO Representation include design and implementation of country-tailored field programmes, liaison with local donor representatives and active public awareness raising and outreach activities related to the mandate of FAO.
FAO assistance in Afghanistan achieves its objectives through capacity development and direct project implementation in four specific areas of FAO’s technical expertise:
- Better governance through improved capacity for policy planning, land reform, decentralization, and management of common natural resources;
- Fostering expansion of irrigation and field water management;
- Intensive agriculture for surplus commercialization, value chains development, and job creation; and
- Supporting vulnerable farmers for improved food & nutrition security, resilience, and emergency response to natural and man-made disasters and climate change.
The overall goal of the project is to improve monitoring and analysis of agricultural production systems to support agricultural policies and food security in the country. The project’s objectives are: i) to improve monitoring and analysis of agricultural production systems; ii) to develop/strengthen land resources information management systems (LRIMS) and National Agro-Ecological Zoning (NAEZ) and iii) enhance the capacity at national and provincial levels for collection, monitoring, analysis and dissemination of agriculture information based on integration of remotely-sensed data and technology for decision-making to support agricultural policies and food security in the country.
Purpose of this vacancy announcement:
FAO is looking for qualified national staff to support the work of the FAO –EC funded project “The Project for Strengthening Afghanistan Institutions’ capacity for the Assessment of Agriculture Production and Scenario Development.
FAO holds the ultimate responsibility for the implementation of the project, the delivery of the planned outputs and the achievement of the expected outcomes. The project will be managed and implemented by FAO.
The project activities are implemented successfully, timely and effectively in conformity with the objectives of the project.
Reporting Lines / Supervision Received/Exercised:
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Afghanistan and the direct supervision of National Team Leader, and technical guidance of the Lead Technical Officer (LTO) in the FAO Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific (RAP), and in close collaboration with the relevant staff in FAO Afghanistan and counterpart entities, the Database & Portal Development Assistant the incumbent will carry out the following tasks;
Provinces to travel:
- At least five (5) years of relevant work experience in data science, database development, data collection and validation, web-based application, portal development, M&E systems with UN and international organizations, embassies, donor-funded projects or Government of Afghanistan in a multi-cultural offices environment is required.
- Experience with donor funded projects, Government of Afghanistan and UN agencies will be an added advantage;
Other Desirable Skills:
- Working experience with ministries, national institutions and the rural sector in Afghanistan;
- Excellent interpersonal communication and coordination skills, and proven ability to work constructively with a variety of stake holders to achieve common goals;
- Good knowledge of protocol, good judgment and initiative
- Good knowledge of corporate information systems
- Good data analysis skills and interpretation of data;
- Strong computer skills, in especially all MS Office applications and basic internet search engines or other relevant online tools;
- Familiarity with UN agencies procedures for project implementation.
- Excellent knowledge of English and local languages, both spoken and written skills.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop a comprehensive dynamic portal for GIS capable (M&E, ATLAS, NAEZ, LRIMS, Project Website, Climate Change Existing Forecast, Crop Monitoring and Crop Bulletin and Scenarios) of reporting detail information at different administrative levels and several information formats;
- Manage data portal and server access in the organization;
- Test the data storage, server, and web-tools as part of the database system in the organization and mobile application;
- Troubleshooting review, the current database systems;
- Implementing and combining SDLC Methodologies and using it in the organization projects;
- Ensure that the web-based tools are capable of preparing statistical tables, graphs, maps and other information outputs;
- Develop Desktop, Mobile and Web based applications for the project;
- Ensure that data is accessible and exportable through several statistical packages, including SPSS, STATA, Excel and others;
- Provide the data in desired formats to the project and other stakeholders;
- Regularly backup the systems in different places for safety purpose;
- Support data collection for the LRIMS and NAEZ database population;
- Responsible for performing regular data cleaning and administration tasks such as uploading data using the data loader tool;
- Develop specifications for hardware and software requirements;
- Assist in the analysis of the user specification, needs description and functionality and identification of the data requirements;
- Deliver training along with materials and user guide documents;
- Developing and dissemination of news through the official Web sites of the European Union, FAO, government stakeholders and Global Agro-Ecological Zones (GAEZ);
- Assist National Project Manager and staff in preparing ad-hoc, six-monthly and annual progress reports;
- Perform any other duties as required by the National Team Leader and FAO management.
- Design M&E System for the project, GIS/RS/Statistics Database Development
- Desktop and Mobile Application development for ATLAS, NAEZ, LRIMS, Project Website, Climate Change Existing Forecast, Crop Monitoring and Crop Bulletin and Scenarios
- Embed and Update Project results in MAIL website and MIS/web portal
- Develop GIS oriented Portal for the Project NAEZ Results
- Web apps (‘StoryMap’ and ‘Web Atlas’)
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kabul
- University degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems (MIS), Software Engineering, Information Technology or relevant fields from a recognized university;