|Date Posted:||Sep 6, 2010|
|Closing Date:||Sep 18, 2010|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||Salary is negotiableUSD|
|Years of Experience:||5 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
|Possibility of Contract Extension:||Yes|
|Contract Type:||Short Term|
About General Directorate of Programs and Design:
Under the General Manager supervision, AUWSSC Deputy Technical Manager is in charge of technical matters including investment planning, technical support to the Strategic Business Units (SBUs), and all engineering activities relating to the operation, maintenance and expansion of the utility infrastructure. The Deputy Technical Manager will also handle the procurement of technical items for AUWSSCâ€™s rehabilitation and extension program. The Deputy Technical Manager will receive guidance and support from an international Senior Technical Advisor.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The sector level, corporate level and project level tasks that the Deputy Technical Manager shall be responsible are:
At the sector level, the Deputy Technical Manager shall:
1. Review of drinking water standards in collaboration with the Ministry of Public Health and waste water effluent treatment standards in collaboration with the National Environmental Protection Agency (NEPA) with reference to the Environment Protection Act. Assesses the implications of these for AUWSSC infrastructure development and applies any relevant provision as may be applicable.
2. Provide assistance for the future development of water supply and waste water infrastructure in urban centers not yet operated by AUWSSC and coordinates with the Ministry of Rural Rehabilitation and Development on the particular issues associated with peri-urban areas, small towns and multi-village systems.
3. Coordinate with the Ministry of Mines and Industry, NEPA and Kabul Municipality to finalize a groundwater management and protection plan for Kabul aquifers and follows up its implementation.
At the corporate level, the Deputy Technical Manager shall:
1. Develop procurement procedures in accordance with the Public Procurement Law.
2. Manage the Investment Program of AUWSSC for rehabilitation and extension of the water supply systems, including preparation of future interventions and implementation of current projects with: (a) Decision Support System (DSS) initiatives; (b) feasibility studies; (c) engineering designs; (d) technical specifications; (e) technical standards.
3. Coordinate the procurement of goods, works and consulting services for AUWSSC rehabilitation and extension programs.
As part of AUWSSCâ€™s responsibility of implementing ARTF and IDA funded Urban Water Sector Project, the Deputy Technical Manager shall:
1. Contribute to the review of the AUWSSC performance objectives and assistance requirements.
2. Manage various project elements, such as: works and supply/installation contracts for Short â€“Term Program and Medium-Term Program â€“ Phase-1, engineering support for Medium Term Program - phase 2 (MTP/2) and social surveys.
3. Prepare Project Reports on a semi-annual basis and monitoring and evaluation reports on an annual basis.
Masters degree in engineering (civil or sanitary or mechanical or electrical) with four years of experience in the design, engineering and construction of water supply and waste water facilities
Bachelor degree in engineering (civil or sanitary or mechanical or electrical) with six years of experience in the design, engineering and construction of water supply and waste water facilities.
A degree in business administration and/or management in addition to the above engineering qualification, will offer advantage.
Specific experience within public utilities and track records on procurement of goods/works/services will be an added advantage.
Proficiency in computer skills is necessary. Proficiency in modeling and relevant software packages would be an added advantage.
Good communications and presentation skills.
Experience in coordination with Government and donor activities in the technical field would be an added advantage
Previous working or living experience in Afghanistan would be an added advantage.