|Date Posted:||Oct 13, 2010|
|Closing Date:||Oct 25, 2010|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||Salary is negotiableUSD|
|Years of Experience:||5 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
|Possibility of Contract Extension:||Yes|
|Contract Type:||Short Term|
About Ministry of Counter Norcotics:
The Director, Alternative Livelihood is a senior position (Grade 1) within the MCN, being based in Kabul; responsible for leading and managing the operations of the Alternative Livelihood directorate within the MCN; and reporting directly to the Director General Policy, Strategy and Coordination. The Alternative Livelihood Director is responsible ultimately for leading the ministryâ€™s efforts to wean farmers away from poppy cultivation to alternative sources of livelihood that are legal and not harmful to local communities.
Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Within six weeks of joining he/she shall develop an action plan for revamping the system in accordance with rules and regulations for better quality services delivery and also a work plan in agreement with his supervisor (Minister or Deputy Minister).
2. Manage the activities related to Alternative Livelihood within the Ministry and provide direction and guidance to managers and professional assistants in his directorate on the approach that MCN activities should take.
3. Participate in planning and design of policy and development programs, in collaboration with the sectoral ministries and other development agencies at the national level, ensuring compliance with the objectives and goals set by the NDCS.
4. Maintain close working relations with Alternative Livelihood focal points of line ministries and constitutive members of the Alternative Livelihood Working Group, alternately chairing the meeting of the working group.
5. Review, monitor and evaluate ongoing activities and prepare recommendations for the minister.
6. Prepare the annual work plans and budget for the directorate.
7. Prepare all progress/activity reports, ensuring the monthly reports of staff members of the directorate are received before the deadline and that proper follow up and advice is provided to staff members.
8. Present MCN at Alternative Livelihood meetings, seminars and workshops, and prepare reports of the proceedings.
9. Assess the impact of any law enforcement activity on development/ Alternative Livelihood projects in the area, and advice law enforcement authorities in what measures to take to minimize any possible negative impact of law enforcement activities on Alternative Livelihoods program.
10. Monitor the impact of Alternative Livelihood programs/interventions on CN objectives and targets and also monitoring compliance with CN mainstreaming guidelines by implementing partners.
11. Ensure that he/she transfers knowledge and skills to other individuals and working teams in an effective regular manner in order to improve managerial ability, motivation and confidence.
1. Action plan and work plan exists.
2. An effective system for the consistency of all policies, services, procedures and legislation maintained.
3. An effective managerial and leading system developed and implemented.
4. Training programmes for Departmental staff developed and implemented
5. Effective discharge of Alternative Livelihood monitoring and evaluation functions at the programme level executed.
6. Technical support to MCN top management on all Alternative Livelihood matters, and capacity building of the Alternative Livelihood directorate maintained.
The AL Director shall report to the Director General Policy and Coordination.
1. Masters degree in Agriculture, Public Administration, Business Administration, Economics or any other related fields with 3 years of relevant experience.
2. Bachelor degree in the mentioned subjects with 5 years relevant experience.
3. Have good Communication skills both written and verbal in Dari or Pashto and English languages.
4. Computer skills in MS. Office are required.
1. Strong leadership skill and the ability to motivate and lead a team.
2. Experience of contract development and monitoring.
3. Experience of and interest in developing quality assurance and performance management arrangements to achieve improvements in planning and delivery of services.
4. Leadership experience in strategic planning and budgeting.
5. Experience in conducting meetings with a wide-range of stakeholders.
Notice of revision:
These terms of reference may be revised subject to operational needs.