|Date Posted:||Jul 14, 2010|
|Closing Date:||Jul 26, 2010|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||As per NTA salary scale policyUSD|
|Years of Experience:||5 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
|Possibility of Contract Extension:||Yes|
|Contract Type:||Short Term|
About Ministry of Mines:
The Director-General of the Afghanistan Geological Survey will lead and manage the operations of the Afghanistan Geological Survey in support of the strategic objectives of the Ministry of Mines.
Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Assesses organizational performance and defines clear, actionable, medium-term strategic plan for AGS aligned with the Ministry of Mineâ€™s mission and vision, objectives and priorities. Ensures that the AGS strategic plan drives day-to-day behavior at all levels at AGS.
2. Contributes to the forthcoming Pay and grading reform process.
3. Guides AGS directors and ensures that all operational work plans, activities and programmes (including donor projects) are well defined and fully aligned with the organizational strategy.
4. Ensures that all AGS units define and work towards a limited set of quantified, output-focused and demanding performance targets, which are tightly linked to strategic plans.
5. Ensures that the AGS has solid financial planning and that its budget reflects organizational needs. Oversees regular monitoring of AGSâ€™ performance-to-budget and ensures that robust systems and controls governing all financial operations are in place.
6. Oversees and promotes staff development and motivation, including ensuring staff under his/her supervision develop and improve their technical capacity and keep up to date with international best practice systems in their substantive areas, and ensures that government HRM rules and regulations are consistently implemented throughout the AGS.
7. Ensures that the AGS office, technical and technological infrastructure is adequate to organizational needs.
8. Ensures that AGS fulfils all of the reporting and administrative requirements of the Ministry of Mines, and complies with the national legislation.
9. Act as part of the Executive Management team for the Ministry of Mines
10. Advises the senior management of the Ministry of Mines on the latest progress and results of mineral, hydrocarbon and groundwater surveys conducted by AGS and other parties.
11. Supports with data and analysis the regulatory and investment promotion functions of the Ministry of Mines.
12. Contributes proactively to relevant sector policy discussions.
13. Builds and maintains strong relationships with variety of relevant stakeholders, incl. national and international government and non-government organizations.
1. A Proper medium â€“ term strategic plan for AGS is established.
2. Significant contributions have been made in pay and grading reform process.
3. A proper system of financial planning and monitoring for AGS is in place.
4. An effective mechanism for sustainable transfer of capacity is developed within the department.
5. An appropriate recording, filing and reporting system is established.
The Director General AGS shall report to the Minister of Mines.
- Minimum requirements
1. A Master Degree in Geology, or any other related fields with 3 years of relevant experience.
2. A Bachelor Degree in the above mentioned areas with 4 years of relevant experience.
3. Written and spoken English and written and spoken Dari or Pashto
4. Computer skills, competency with MS Office packages such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Desirable attributes
1. Previous work with government geological surveys
2. Experience of mining/exploration
3. Good report writing and communication skills
4. Ability to use office information and communications technology
5. Possesses good personal management skills particularly to be able to bring organizational and cultural changes.
Notice of revision:
These terms of reference may be revised subject to operational needs.