|Date Posted:||Sep 27, 2010|
|Closing Date:||Oct 9, 2010|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||Salary is negotiableUSD|
|Years of Experience:||5 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
|Possibility of Contract Extension:||No|
|Contract Type:||Short Term|
About General Directorate of Programs and Design:
The incumbent will lead and manage the operations of the Investment Promotion Directorate in support of the strategic objectives of the Ministry of Mines.
Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Within six weeks of joining he/she shall develop an action plan for revamping the system in accordance with rules and regulations for better quality services delivery and also a work plan in agreement with his/her supervisor (Minister or Deputy Minister).
2. Manage the Sector Promotion Directorate; assess performance and define operational work plans with quantified, output-focused and demanding performance targets.
3. Lead the development and implementation of long-term sector promotion strategic plans for the extractive industriesâ€™ sector working closely with Ministry officials.
4. Ensure that domestic and international private sector organizations with direct investment potential are identified through sector analyses, research driven target selection and pro-active marketing campaigns.
5. Ensure effective and efficient image building activities to turn Afghanistan into an appealing brand for extractive industriesâ€™ sector investment.
6. Work in partnership with the Strategic Communication Directorate for production of advertising and promotional materials and organizing investment promotion events.
7. Supervise work with potential investors through their decision processes to secure new investment into Afghanistan; in consultation with the Regulation Enforcement General Directorate, ensure building relationships with existing investors to encourage further inward investments from these organizations.
8. Coordinate and manage site visits of potential investors to Afghanistan in co-operation with other government agencies and provide professional marketing advice and assistance regarding market entry.
9. Identify and manage specific export oriented programs in the region that will assist and grow exports in key industries, such as gem stones and decorative stones.
10. In partnership with the Policy Directorate, identify barriers to investment and reform at the national and sub-national levels and recommend solutions.
11. Maintain and build effective relationships with other related agencies, including AISA, EPA, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, regional bodies, key industries and business organizations.
12. Oversee implementation of staff development and motivation strategies for the Investment Promotion Directorate, ensuring that the necessary skills are available to the Ministry, and that appropriate staff professional development opportunities are made available.
13. Provide high quality advice and support to the senior management of the Ministry of Mines regarding issues relevant to sector promotion.
14. Ensure that he/she transfers knowledge and skills to other individuals and working teams in an effective regular manner in order to improve managerial ability, motivation and confidence
1. An appropriate action plan is developed and implemented.
2. An effective promotional strategy is established.
3. A proper system of developing work plans and carrying them out are in place.
4. A significant increase in the level of direct investment is observed.
5. Simplified procedures and processes for attraction of new investments are developed.
6. A number of suggestions have been provided to Regulation Enforcement General Directorate and Policy Directorate to improve investments in the sector at national and sub-national levels.
7. Proper filing and reporting systems are established and maintained within the directorate.
8. A proper system of transfer and maintenance of skills and knowledge within the directorate is in place.
The Director Investment Promotion shall report to the Director General Policy and Promotion.
â€“ Minimum requirements
1. Masterâ€™s degree in, Business Administration, Public Administration, or any other related fields with 3 years of relevant experience.
2. Bachelor degree in the mentioned subjects with 5 years relevant experience.
3. Excellent Communication skills both written and verbal in Dari or Pashto and English languages.
4. Computer skills in MS. Office are required.
â€“ Desirable attributes
1. Strong analytical skills of high order, as well as the ability to organize and delegate responsibility.
2. High proficiency in English language.
3. Strong human as well as organization skills to organize things properly and motivate team work.
4. Good personal management skills particularly to be able to bring organizational and cultural changes over time.
Notice of revision
These terms of reference may be revised subject to operational needs.