|Date Posted:||Sep 27, 2010|
|Closing Date:||Oct 9, 2010|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||Salary is negotiableUSD|
|Years of Experience:||5 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
|Possibility of Contract Extension:||false|
|Contract Type:||Short Term|
About Ministry of Mines:
The incumbent has the overall responsibility to provide legal support and advice to the Minister and other relevant MoM officials; He/She in coordination with other relevant Ministry administrative units, examine or draft regulatory or legislative proposals, authoritative legal opinions relevant to the work of MoM. He/She also is responsible for drafting and analyzing proposed mining contracts; ensures relevant legal representation before domestic and international judicial authorities as required in the interest of the Ministry of Mines; and liaises with domestic authorities on all legal matters falling within the mandate of the MoM.
Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Within six weeks of joining he/she shall develop an action plan for revamping the system in accordance with rules and regulations for better quality services delivery and also a work plan in agreement with his/her supervisor (Minister or Deputy Minister).
2. Manage all activities related to legal and regulatory matters within MoM.
3. Assess current performance and capacity of Directorate staff and defines operational work plans with quantified, output-focused and demanding performance targets.
4. Guide MoM Counsels and oversees implementation of Directorateâ€™s operational work plans, activities and programmes.
5. Ensure that legal support is regularly available and consulted in MoM planning, including routine legal risk management. When necessary, provides confidential legal advice to the Minister, Deputy Minister and Director General Policy and Promotion as appropriate;
6. Ensure that all Ministry of Mines activities, including policy proposals, mining, exploration, exploitation contracts are consistent with the law;
7. Take responsibility for the quality, timeliness, consistency and accuracy of advice on all legal matters handled within the Ministry of Mines;
8. Ensure that the Director General Policy and Promotions is properly briefed on any legal issues requiring resolution with the Minister or Deputy Minister;
9. Advise the senior management of the Ministry of Mines on international best practice and emerging trends in the fields of mineral, hydrocarbon, environmental and groundwater law.
10. Build and maintain strong relationships with variety of relevant stakeholders, including national and international government and non-government organizations.
11. Ensure that he/she transfers knowledge and skills to other individuals and working teams in an effective regular manner in order to improve managerial ability, motivation and confidence.
1. An appropriate action plan is developed and implemented.
2. A proper system of developing work plans and carrying them out are in place.
3. A number of legal documents, procedures and legislations are developed for the directorate.
4. An effective mechanism of legal risk management is established.
5. A number of legal suggestions and advices have been provided to the senior management and other relevant authorities of the Ministry.
6. Proper filing and reporting systems are established and maintained within the directorate.
7. A proper system of transfer and maintenance of skills and knowledge within the directorate is in place.
The Director Legal and Regulatory Affairs shall report to the Director General Policy and Promotion.
â€“ Minimum requirements
1. Masterâ€™s degree in, Law, Mining, Environment Law, or any other related fields with 3 years of relevant experience.
2. Bachelor degree in the mentioned subjects with 5 years relevant experience.
3. Excellent Communication skills both written and verbal in Dari or Pashto and English languages.
4. Computer skills in MS. Office are required.
â€“ Desirable attributes
1. Strong analytical skills of high order, as well as the ability to organize and delegate responsibility.
2. Strong human as well as organization skills to organize things properly and motivate team work.
3. Good personal management skills particularly to be able to bring organizational and cultural changes over time.
4. Excellent report writing and communication skills
Notice of revision
These terms of reference may be revised subject to operational needs.