|Date Posted:||Jul 18, 2020|
|Closing Date:||Jul 31, 2020|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Functional Area:||Education/ Training|
|Salary Range:||NTA, Grade BAF|
|Years of Experience:||5 - 7 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
|Contract Type:||Short Term|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About Ministry of Education (MoE):
The aim of the EQRA Project is “to increase equitable access to primary and secondary education, particularly girls, in selected lagging provinces, and to improve learning conditions in Afghanistan.” EQRA introduces a shift from monitoring only the enrollment of students (which also includes attention to students designated as ‘permanently absent’) to focusing on bringing children into school as well as student attendance. The Education Quality Reform for Afghanistan (EQRA) is fully aligned with the goals of the Afghanistan National Strategic Plan (NESP III). The project is designed to (A) increase equitable access in disadvantaged districts especially for girls; (B) improve quality of instruction/education service delivery and (C) enhance MoE governance and management capacity. The project focuses on the construction and expansion of schools, provide community-based education to out of school children, reform curriculum for all grades, improve and ensure textbooks delivery to schools, enhance academic supervision, strengthen teacher & TTC quality, improve execution of budget, strengthen and increase use of EMIS, implement capacity building reform, and reform recruitment process for civil service.
The Ministry of Education (MoE) of Afghanistan is leading the implementation of the third National Education Strategic Plan (NESP III: 2017-2021) for the goal to prepare skilled and competent citizens through the education system to sustain Afghanistan’s socioeconomic development and social cohesion in the country. To this end, the World Bank supports the MoE through EQRA project, aiming to provide support to increase equitable access to education, improving learning conditions, and strengthening sector planning capacity and transparency.
ECE pilot project is commissioned under component four of EQRA project. The component aims to strengthen the capacity of the MoE at the national and sub-national levels to achieve results in priority areas, and more broadly, to manage the delivery of quality education services promoted under NESP III. Under this pilot project a one-year ECE will be delivered to children of age 5-6 to prepare them for a smooth transition to primary school.
ECE Project Manager is a key position to lead the planning and implementation of ECE pilot project in Afghanistan. This position is required to provide expertise and specialized input to the at all stages of the ECE pilot activities including the development of ECE Policy and Operation Model, its related manuals, guidelines, SOPs and other relevant documents, and manage, coordinate, and support planning and establishment of ECE pilot classes. The role of ECE project manager is also to communicate and coordinate with Education Partners (Govt. and DPs) on matters related to ECE planning, implementation, funding etc. As the overall lead of the ECE pilot, the project manager will make sure to meet implementation deadlines as planned and communicated in the ECE PIM.
The incumbent will develop monitoring and evaluation mechanisms for ECE pilot and upon the conclusion of ECE he/she will analyse and incorporate the ECE project outcome and lessons learned into ECE Policy, Model, Curriculum and overall Education Sector plans. The TA will also ensure the development of a unified reporting format, data collection tools & guidelines, and hierarchy to ensure smooth operation. The position will also engage in capacity assessment of the ECED Tashkeel staff and relevant MoE personnel concurrently and ensure to develop successors to take over similar interventions at MoE.
Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Lead the process and all relevant activities of ECE Policy development. Work closely with ECE consultant on composing a responsive, inclusive and standard ECE Policy.
2. Lead the entire process and assignment of development of a comprehensive ECE Operational Model,
a. Design and develop assessment tools and methodology to study the implementing partners’ and regional models and identify the strengths and weaknesses of the studied models and assess its viability in context of Afghanistan.
b. Conduct research on various types of ECE models and support government in decision in developing a comprehensive ECE operational model.
c. Consult and validate research outcomes with substantial stakeholders (Govt. , DPs) for identification and adoption of a comprehensive ECE operational model.
3. Develop tools (forms, formats) and their implementation mechanisms for mapping, training, monitoring and evaluation of the ECE pilot.
a. Forms and formats related to training, monitoring and evaluation will be developed together with other ECE pilot TA’s.
4. Develop operations manuals, guidelines and other operation level documents for ensuring smooth ECE piloting based on ECE model.
5. Develop comprehensive ECE Implementation Manual for Pilot activities including program description, geographical target, operational procedure, work/budget plan, implementation arrangement and timeline.
6. Develop methodologies for using data analytic tools; develop and present reports, visualizations, and statistical graphs to illustrate findings and draw recommendations.
7. Prepare report on results of the ECE pilot and facilitate revision of the draft comprehensive ECE operation model.
8. Lead the planning, facilitation, coordination and communication of ECE pilot activities in the provinces under ECE pilot/EQRA Scope.
9. Establish a professional and smooth communication channel with ECE partners and provide necessary data and reports to them.
10. Assure that ECE classes are implemented as per the scope of the ECE pilot.
11. Lead and manage ECED in ECE pilot activities under the guidance from DG Education.
12. Manage various contracts of the ECE pilot activities with stakeholders.
13. Engage with stakeholders and facilitate activities of the Pilot.
14. Establish coordination mechanism among ECED, PEDs, and DEDs.
15. Represent MoE/ECED with Education partners, and stakeholders.
16. Ensure project deadlines that are communicated according to the PIM and initial project plan are pursued and met with desired results.
17. Develop a regulatory framework derived from best regional and international frameworks for ECE interventions in Afghanistan and ensure that framework is being adhered to.
18. Lead the logistical and administrative support team and make sure timely support and facilities are in place both on national and sub national levels for ECE pilot phase
19. Develop coordination mechanism with relevant MoE directorates for availing timely logistical and administrative support, and with provincial entities (PEDs, DEDs, Trainers, teachers, and community) for smoother operation and successful implementation.
20. Assess project risks, obstacles on regular basis and propose risk mitigation options accordingly.
21. Engage and maintain network of key stakeholders in ECE sub-sector among donors and government agencies to coordinate and integrate efforts and establish a transparent and smooth communication channel.
1. Comprehensive ECE operational model developed (in a form of project paper and operations manual)
2. ECE Policy developed
3. Monthly and Quarterly reports on the project progress reported.
4. Monitoring and Evaluation Framework developed,
5. Data collection modality developed and applied
6. Implementation plan developed and presented,
7. ECED Capacity development plan developed and implemented
8. Roadmap to integrate ECE in overall Education Sector Planning Afghanistan developed.
9. Profile filing of overall project activities/components completed.
10. Coordination Mechanism for logistical and Administrative support/facilities developed and applied.
Supervision: The ECE Project Manager will be reporting to the Director General of General Education and Deputy Minister of General Education MoE
Bachelor or Master degree in Education, Public Policy, Public Administration, Project Management, Business Administration, Social Sciences or relevant field
At least 5 years of relevant professional experience with a Master Degree and 7 years relevant professional experiences with a Bachelor degree in related field.
Demonstrated experience in leading/managing projects and programs preferably in education sector.
Demonstrated working experience in ECE sub-sector, education project/task management.
Demonstrated strong capacity and experience in project planning, coordination, monitoring and evaluation, data collection, developing implementation plan.
Demonstrated strong capacity and experience in capacity building of public sector personnel.
Good command of report writing and impact analysis.
Detailed oriented and can anticipate needs of the project.
Able to measure risk, and allow for data driven solution.
1. Excellent leadership skills
2. Excellent coordination skills
3. Excellent Communication Skills
4. Excellent interpersonal Skills
5. Outstanding Problem-Solving skills
6. Able to delegate tasks, build teams, prioritize actions and follow up on results
7. Excellent Report Writing Skills
Must be fluent in English, Pashtu and Dari.
Recruitment, work condition and evaluation
1. The recruitment will be done through transparent and competitive processes.
2. Work conditions
1. The ECE Project Manager will work according to Afghanistan MoE’s and donors' rules and regulation.
2. MoE will provide a proper work station at MoE main building.
1. The initial three months will be considered a probationary period.
2. A formal performance evaluation shall be conducted annually jointly by the Ministry of Education leadership as well as by the WB with observers of the key donors.
3. An exit interview will be conducted upon completion of the contract. This exit interview constitutes condition for final payment.
4. These reporting obligations would be in addition to any reporting and evaluation obligations decided and directly conducted by the Ministry and/or World Bank.
5. The extension of contract is subject to fund availability, organization’s need, and satisfactory performance.
Geography: Based in Kabul, will be traveling to provinces regularly.