|Date Posted:||Sep 8, 2019|
|Closing Date:||Sep 24, 2019|
|Work Type:||Part Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||As per company salary scaleAF|
|Years of Experience:||3 - 5 Years|
The United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) is the specialized agency of the United Nations that promotes industrial development for poverty reduction, inclusive globalization, and environmental sustainability. The mandate of UNIDO is to promote and accelerate inclusive and sustainable industrial development in developing countries and economies in transition.
"Cold value chain" is defined as the specific supply chain scheme which requires that all elements of the food process be carried out under prescribed low temperatures to ensure the safety and the quality of the product. Cold chain, in fact, consumes a remarkable quantity of energy. It is reported to account for 30% of total world energy consumption. Therefore, after having received financial endorsement during the Global Environment Facility’s (GEF) seventh replenishment period, UNDIO has established local partnerships with the objective to encourage private financing to invest in the energy efficiency of cold value chains and distribution channels in Afghanistan. This project estimates that it can avoid more than 125,000 metric tonnes of direct and indirect CO2 equivalent GHGs.
The proposed project has triggered developing the following Environment and Social Management Planning based on the UNIDO environmental and social safeguards policies and procedures.
The GEF has issued a Policy on “Agency Minimum Standards on Environmental and Social Safeguards” that states the principles that the GEF shall apply to those operations that it finances. It also lists the criteria and minimum requirements on environmental and social safeguard systems that all GEF Partner Agencies shall be expected to meet in order to implement GEF-financed projects.
UNIDO is committed to promoting inclusive and sustainable industrial development (ISID) to harness the full potential of industry’s contribution to (i) the achievement of sustainable development, and (ii) lasting prosperity for all. In order to meet this goal, UNIDO has adopted a set of Environmental and Social Safeguard Policies and Procedures (ESSPP). These strengthen UNIDO’s accountability to the countries and communities it aims to support; stakeholders in the development processes; and the broader development cooperation and donor community. The UNIDO ESSPP automatically applies to all UNIDO implemented Global Environment Facility (GEF) and Green Climate Fund (GCF) projects.
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the UNIDO Project Manager, the Consultant will undertake the following duties and responsibilities:
Requires travel to provinces:
1) Core values:
· Respect for diversity
· Awareness & Sensitivity regarding Gender Issues
2) Core competencies:
· Effective Communication and trust
· Stakeholder Engagement
· Results orientation and accountability
· Planning and organizing
· Team orientation
· Client orientation
Duties & Responsibilities:
1.Conducting an ESIA study:
- Based on a clear definition of the project to be implemented, consolidate, and collect all the data/information that will be needed to carry out the assessment. Then proceed to the assessment per se (compare project alternatives and assess Impacts). Report the results of the assessment.
2.Preparing a Management Plan:
- Based on relevant findings of the assessment and the results of consultations with the project stakeholders, define measures that will be needed to, inter alia: mitigate the project’s expected impacts; monitor impacts; apply the mitigation options/measures; build capacities; and communicate results of the management plan
3.Reviewing the UNIDO ESSP structure:
- Reviewing the templates and structures of ESMP and report including the analysis and suggestion with regard to the project
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kabul
Education: Minimum University degree in Environmental Science, Environmental Studies;
Experiences: Previous experience and good comprehension of the local context where the survey will be conducted;
Languages: All the reports and documents will be provided in English.