|Date Posted:||Oct 27, 2019|
|Closing Date:||Nov 12, 2019|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Functional Area:||Social Science|
|Salary Range:||As per NTA salary scale policyAF|
|Years of Experience:||4 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Open Ended|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
-The Islamic Republic of Afghanistan has received a grant from the World Bank for the Afghanistan Second Skills Development Project (ASDPII). The project aims to improve the quality and relevance in the formal TVET system in priority trades by supporting delivery of priority trades, operationalization of lead institutes, teacher policy development and implementation, curriculum reform, upgrading TVET Teacher competencies, Teacher assessment, international in service training and domestic in service training. The project is seeking Environmental and Social safeguards officers to implement ASDP II Environmental and social safeguard management framework, Grievances redresses mechanism and Environmental and social management plan at the targeted lead institutes/ National institute of Management and administration, Kabul Auto mechanic, Herat Technic institute and Nangarhar Agriculture and veterinary institute.
Under the direct supervision of the ESS specialist, the Environmental and social Safeguards officers will be responsible for the implementation of the Environmental and social Safeguards Management Framework (ESMF). He/she will work and assist to ensure that (a) site specific ESMP is properly implemented in specific lead institute, (b) conducting awareness and making sure institute stakeholders are trained in Environmental and social issues (c) all relevant environmental and social issues are properly addressed by preparing ESMP (d) as member of the site GRC making sure functionality of the committee and addressing complaints. (e) Monitoring ESS activities and act according to relevant Afghanistan Laws and Regulations and the relevant World Bank safeguards policies,
Requires travel to provinces:
· Working knowledge of English and good command of national languages (Dari/Pashtu) required.
· Knowledge of environment and social safeguards related issues in Afghanistan and experience of working with World Bank funded projects will be in advantage
· Ability to speak, read and write excellent English, and prepare report in English
- Ability to work efficiently and to meet deadlines
- Ability to function GRC at the site, interact and cooperate well with the institute stakeholders
· Excellent proven interpersonal communication skills, negotiation skills and good behaviour
Duties & Responsibilities:
The main duties and responsibilities of the Environmental and Social Safeguard officer are to:
1. Assist overall implementation of Environmental and social Guidelines outlined in the project Environmental & Social Management Framework and the subsequent Environmental and social Management plan with the technical support of Environmental Specialist.
2. Ensure all site engineers and relevant project staff are trained in proper application of the ESMF, ESMP and its provisions. ;
3. Supervise the implementation of the ESMP by the Contractors;
4. Carry out environmental and social monitoring to ensure compliance with the ESMP and ESMF in accordance to World Bank safeguards policies and national law and regulation.
5. Continuously coordinate and interact with the institute management regarding the implementation of the environmental compliance and action plans;
6. Provide training and awareness on ESMF and GRM requirements and applying its tools to the relevant lead institute, beneficiaries and stakeholders;
7. Undertake the role of GRM focal point to receive, register, categorise and follow up with the relevant department on the resolutions of complaints.
8. Assist the safeguard specialist in conducting GRM workshops.
9. Ensure that all Occupational Health and Safety Guidelines are properly implemented and carried out in targeted institute.
10. Keep the grievance redress mechanism (GRM) functional at site level and regularly submit its outcome and report to the environmental and social safeguard specialist.
11. Act as a member of site GRC, regularly arrange meeting and perform the secretariat tasks according to GRM guidelines
12. Ensure consultations are done with institute stakeholders to elicit their views
13. Provide technical assistance at the level of vocational institute related to natural resources and environmental management. These issues will relate to impacts on surface water, groundwater, agricultural resources and vegetation, sourcing of materials used in construction, human health, ecology and protected areas, land and soil degradation;
14. Prepare and submit regular environmental monitoring, ESMF and GRM implementation progress reports;
15. Any other task assigned by the supervisor
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kabul
· Bachelor of Science in Environment, social science or equivalent qualification with at least 4 years of relevant experience.