|Date Posted:||May 7, 2019|
|Closing Date:||May 20, 2019|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||NTA, Grade CAF|
|Years of Experience:||5 Years|
|Contract Type:||Short Term|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About Ministry of Education (MoE):
The aim of the EQRA Project is “to increase equitable access to primary and secondary education, particularly girls, in selected lagging provinces, and to improve learning conditions in Afghanistan.” EQRA introduces a shift from monitoring only the enrollment of students (which also includes attention to students designated as ‘permanently absent’) to focusing on bringing children into school as well as student attendance. The Education Quality Reform for Afghanistan (EQRA) is fully aligned with the goals of the Afghanistan National Strategic Plan (NESP III). The project is designed to (A) increase equitable access in disadvantaged districts especially for girls; (B) improve quality of instruction/education service delivery and (C) enhance MoE governance and management capacity. The project focuses on the construction and expansion of schools, provide community-based education to out of school children, reform curriculum for all grades, improve and ensure textbooks delivery to schools, enhance academic supervision, strengthen teacher & TTC quality, improve execution of budget, strengthen and increase use of EMIS, implement capacity building reform, and reform recruitment process for civil service.
Under the general supervision of the ISD Deputy Director, the Environmental safeguard specialist will be responsible for environmental issues, mainly the implementation of Resettlement Policy Framework RPF, Grievance Redress Mechanism GRM guidelines and ensuring/monitoring compliance with environmental safeguards throughout the project sites. He or she will also be responsible for developing the training manuals and conducting training sessions. She or he will also receive and review all reports that are received from the provinces and have in-depth understanding of GoA and World Bank policy on involuntary of grievance redress and resettlement issues.
Provinces to travel:
Duties & Responsibilities:
The main duties and responsibilities of the Social Safeguard Specialist are to:
1. Ensure that the project sites are properly screened with the relevant ESMF tools and guidelines during project implementation by the project beneficiaries and stakeholders.
2. Ensure proper implementation of the ESMF and the ESMP by the contractors and monitor the work of the contractors on the site.
3. Ensure ESIAs/ESMPs are carried out, as required, to meet GoA and World Bank requirements.
4. Provide specific technical advice on mitigation measures for environmental and operational activities related to the project.
5. Develop training materials and deliver trainings on ESMF requirements and applying its tools to the relevant staff of the project, beneficiaries and stakeholders.
6. Ensure the environmental safeguard compliances and grievance redress mechanism (GRM) is functional and its outcome are included in regular reporting mechanism.
7. Monitor environmental safeguards compliance of ESMF implementation in the project and if there are problems report to the Director, and suggest solutions.
8. Liaise closely with ISD Director.
9. Ensure all site engineers and relevant project staff are trained in proper application of the ESMF, ESMP and its components.
10. Help the project to mainstream the ESMF in the project life cycle, e.g., monthly/quarterly meetings whichever is the case, M&E, reporting system of the project, supervision mission by the project leadership.
11. Maintain close linkage for flow up of information between World Bank and AQRA Project regarding environmental safeguard issues in project implementation.
· Assist the development of RPF, GRM, ESMP and close coordination between MRRD and MoE.
· Assist the ESMF implementation regarding of all ongoing projects based on WB policy and follow up on the site level.
· Be responsible to monitor the environmental Safeguard issues of all construction projects with the field staffs and relevant PED Directors.
· Key liaison between MOE Engineering Team and MRRD Provincial Safeguard team.
· Assist best practices in environment management at construction sites, and Share it with the provincial Engineers for There effective randam check of the EIA and ESMP.
· Attend in environmental safeguard seminars such as those held by government, World Bank and organizations.
· Overall planning and managing of environmental safeguard activities related to EQRA construction projects.
· Prepare annual implementation environmental safeguard plan in close collaboration with relevant Zones and Departments.
· Preparation of RPF, GRM and environmental safeguard plan and formats for provincial Monitor Engineer’s.
· Traveling to provinces for environmental safeguard deviation track and planned for way forward.
3.Coordination / Communication / Facilitation
· Guide the EQRA Provincial Monitor Engineer’s to monitor the environmental safeguard issues, identify implementation bottlenecks and propose feasible solutions and develop and monitor an agreed action plan.
· Provide support for strengthening the collaboration and linkages between different departments of the MoE and MRRD supported by EQRA.
· Developing the environmental safeguard and GRM training manual and conducting training sessions.
· Represent environmental safeguard at various meetings and forums on behalf of ISD.
· Coordinate and follow up with Third party monitoring (TPM) agency on the site visit reports. Verify the deviations tracked by TPM and rectify the deviations.
4.Reporting and Follow up
· Draft and share Monthly, semi-annual and annual reports of environmental safeguard deviations of the construction projects and deliver to the ISD and the World Bank.
· As part of the monthly report, share progress report on the resolution/rectification of the deviations tracked by the Third-party monitoring agency. Report immediately to the World Bank on outstanding deviations which are not rectifiable.
· Report and present the progress on EQRA project to relevant stakeholders.
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kabul
· Master degree or at least a BSc degree in environmental sciences/engineering, with at least 5 years of relevant experience for infrastructure projects and in preparation/implementation of Environmental Management Plans, Environmental Impact Assessments and other environmental screening processes.
· Extensive field-based experience, including carrying out of baselines surveys and stakeholder consultations.
· In-depth knowledge on relevant regulatory requirements of Govt. of Afghanistan, World Bank’s Operational Policies, ADB Safeguards Policies and its Environmental, Occupational Health and Safety Guidelines and its cross sectoral application (particularly on infrastructure projects) is necessary.
· Working knowledge of English and good command of national languages (Dari/Pashtu) required.
· Ability to function effectively in a team environment inspiring trust and cooperation of other team members.
· Excellent proven interpersonal communication skills, negotiation skills and project management skills.
· Strong computer Skills (Word, Excel, Power Point, and other technical software’s).
Recruitment, work condition and evaluation
a. The recruitment will be done through a transparent and competitive processes.
2) Work conditions
a. The Environmental safeguard Specialist will work according to Afghanistan MoE’s rules and regulation.
b. MoE will provide a proper work station at central MoE building.
c. The Environmental safeguard Specialist will Repot ISD/Deputy Director of MoE
a. The initial Three months will be considered a probationary period.
b. A formal performance evaluation shall be conducted annually jointly by the Ministry of Education leadership as well as by the WB with observers of the key donors.
c. An exit interview will be conducted upon completion of the contract. This exit interview constitutes condition for final payment.
d. Contract extension is subject to fund availability, organization’s need, and satisfactory performance.