|Date Posted:||May 18, 2020|
|Closing Date:||May 24, 2020|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||As per NTA salary scale policyAF|
|Years of Experience:||2 - 4 Years|
|Contract Duration:||1 year(s)|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About National Statistics and Information Authority:
Background National Statistics and Information Authority (NSIA) was established in year 1351 as an independent governmental administration to create an integrated scientific system for statistics, ensuring harmonization and coordination of all statistical and information management activities of Afghanistan. Since its establishment, NSIA conducts population census and national statistical surveys and coordinates with partners including government institutions, international development partners, non-governmental organizations, research institutions and agencies other than state to prevent duplication of information and statistics. NSIA collaborates with national government agencies in collection, compilation and publication of statistical information including data and statistics derived from their activities. Also NSIA independently collects, compiles, analyses and publishes national commercial, financial, social, economic, environmental, information technology and in general the living condition of Afghan nation. National Statistics and Information Authority (NSIA) supports and promotes the development of integrated social and economic statistics nationwide. NSIA also provides technical support to other agencies and facilitates standard procedures for conducting research such as sampling frames. To fulfil the requirement and need of modern statistical demands, NSIA is mandated to introduce reforms in the area of organizational development. NSIA coordinates and collaborates with partner agencies to establish standards and framework for unified data and information management. Currently on-going efforts are underway to further strengthen NSIAs institutional capacity to adapt and utilize organizational development best-practices to adapt to fast-changing and required growth of NSIA. The National Geo-Informatics Center in Afghanistan is responsible for national level of Geo-Spatial activities, developing policies, Geo-Spatial standards, and the sustainable use of its extensive natural resources. In order to make informed decisions, the policy makers, technicians, scientists and others need timely and authoritative data and the means to analyze and understand this information and the conditions, trends and other insights it can Bring. Most of the Geo spatial data that exists in Afghanistan is scattered across many organizations within the government, United Nations agencies and many other government, non-government and international organizations. The government has recognized the need to address this issue and has established a National Geo-Informatics Centre (NGIC) program within the Central Statistical Organization. Based on the decree No (656), 2018 of His Excellency President of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, the GIS Coordination Deputy President General office was established. Currently the GIS is one of the important departments of NSIA. The National Statistics and Information Authority (NSIA) is the leading national geo spatial science organization with a focus on both public good science for government and geo-scientific research to understand earth and environmental processes. To have harmonize, consistent and fair pay framework for all NTA in the country, to assure fiscal sustainability up to possible extend, to increase government control over deliverables of National Technical Assistance (NTA) including but not limited to strengthening the government ability to hire national contractors though the national budget of the country and to avoid competition with CBR and assuring transparency and accountability; NSIA is committed to hire below position based on NTA salary scale.
Summary of the Position
The environmental statistics specialist is responsible for the collection, compilation and analysis of the environmental data in order to provide support for the designated department.
- Ability to exhibit strong commitment in the relevant disciplines
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and working knowledge of national languages i.e. Dari and Pashto
- Ability to work with and be a partner of a team of diverse backgrounds
- Ability to work efficiently and to meet deadlines
- Ability to function effectively in a team environment inspiring trust and cooperation of other team member
- Strong communication, negotiating skills and good interpersonal relations.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Duties and Responsibilities
Preparing work plan in accordance with the general plan of the National
Statistics and Information Authority (NSIA) in order to achieve the goals set by the (NSIA)
· Determining the environmental indices in accordance to National Environmental Protection Agency’s NEPA guidance
· SDGs environmental indices data collection, analysis and monitoring
· Preparing concept notes on environmental information systems for GEF, GCF and other funding agencies
· Preparing environmental data collection framework/mechanism
· Impact analysis of air quality on socio-economy of cities
· Multi-Criteria Analysis using collected environmental datum
· Provide remotely sensed environmental data for the natural disasters early warning purposes
· Ensuring the data collection period, mechanism, analysis and quality of the process
· Collaborating on the design and development of standardized statistical forms and questionnaires
· Capacity building, training and transferring knowledge, skills and experience to the relevant staff of departments
· Performing other duties and tasks assigned by the top management in accordance with the laws and regulations of the organization
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kabul
Qualifications and Experience: Environmental Statistics Specialist would have the following qualification and work experience;
- A Master degree with two years of relevant experience in Environmental Sciences, , Agricultural Economics, Geosciences, Natural Resources Management, GIS & Remote Sensing.
- A bachelor degree with 4 years of relevant experience in Environmental Sciences, , Agricultural Economics, Geosciences, Natural Resources Management, GIS & Remote Sensing.
- Proficient user of MS Office and one of the statistical analysis software SPSS, STATA and R
- Strong communication skills.
- Ability to work in a team.