|Date Posted:||Feb 6, 2010|
|Closing Date:||Mar 5, 2010|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||20000 - 80000 USD undefinedUSD|
|Years of Experience:||5 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
|Contract Type:||Short Term|
|Probation Period:||1 month|
About Afghanistan Water Resources Development Project:
The Environment Officer will have responsibility of assuring that the Environment Impact Assessment (EIA) are not overlooked during the implementation of Projects. He/She will report to the PMO Director. The Project Management Consultants will provide technical support and assistance during the initial period of operations of the MEW PMO.
Duties & Responsibilities:
â€¢ The candidate will be responsible for assuring that Projects implemented under the WRDIP through the PMO meets the minimum requirements of environmental safeguards recommended.
â€¢ Demonstrated enthusiasm for programâ€™s goals;
â€¢ Results oriented and highly motivated;
â€¢ Ability to formulate strategies and policies, and create new approaches;
â€¢ Undertake project-related tasks as mandated in the loan agreement and as required by MEW;
â€¢ Prepare reports as required by MEW and the Asian Development Bank (ADB);
â€¢ Coordinate with the Project Management Consultants in the development of programs for on-the-job transfer of knowledge in Preparation and Execution of Social and Environmental Safeguards to counterpart staff during implementation.
1. Under direction from the Project Management Consultants, ppdate and put in place a cost effective environmental management and monitoring system for the construction and rehabilitation and upgrading of the works for each sub-project undertaken by MEW under tranche 1, consistent with EIA recommendations so as to ensure minimal environmental effects both during and following the construction period;
2. Assist in preparation and provide required and appropriate actions to mitigate any negative environmental impacts associated with tranche 1 construction activities in collaboration with PMO, the relevant PIO and all concerned stakeholders;
3. Assist in preparation initial environmental examinations (IEEs) for each of the subprojects selected for preparation and design by PDF for which the preparation work is to be carried out by the relevant PIO;
4. Ensure that environmental impact assessments which are in full compliance with ADB guidelines are prepared in cases that so require and that all required environmental mitigation is identified and that acceptable environmental management and monitoring plans reflecting full detail regarding the estimated costs of the required mitigation are in place;
5. Assist in assessment and comparison of Afghanistanâ€™s environmental legislation and framework with ADBâ€™s requirements and best international practice to identify gaps, differences or conflicts and recommend modifications and/or mechanisms to promote compatibility;
6. Assist in assessment of capacity and environmental expertise of the Afghanistan government agencies involved in vetting and approving the environmental assessments and develop assessment and review procedures and prepare detailed arrangements, agreeable to all parties, which may be used throughout the WRDIP program to facilitate review of documents related to the various sub-projects;
7. Assist Project Management Consultant in assessing the capacity of MEW/PMO/PDF/PIOs staff related to environmental assessment and implementation of environmental management plans and quantify training requirements for necessary capacity building;
8. Help develop training materials for PMO/PDF/PIO staff to support environmental protection measures and to monitor and mitigate potential environmental impacts and present workshops for selected staff members; and
9. Identify environmental issues related to the sector, with particular emphasis with regard to environmental degradation resulting from the practice of irrigated agriculture.
The candidate must have a Degree in Sociology, Natural Sciences and/or a relevant field of expertise. More than five years of experience in preparation of Environmental Impact Assessments (EIA) and data gathering and analysis of environmental problems as well as mitigation of such problems. Major achievements in career may substitute for long experience and educational requirements. Preference would be given to candidates with extensive experience in similar regions.
â€¢ Strong analytical skills and perception.
â€¢ Knowledge of construction industry in Afghanistan.
â€¢ Reasonable capability to read write and speak English, organization skills, desire to learn, and basic computer literacy.