|Date Posted:||May 15, 2019|
|Closing Date:||May 22, 2019|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Functional Area:||Business Administration ,Legal and Legislative|
|Salary Range:||NTA, Grade CAF|
|Years of Experience:||5 Years|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About ICMA SHAHAR:
Since late November 2014, DAI has been implementing the USAID funded Strong Hubs for Afghan Hope and Resilience (SHAHAR) project with the Deputy Ministry of Municipalities (DMM) and in up to twenty provincial municipalities across Afghanistan in order to form well-governed, fiscally sustainable Afghan municipalities capable of meeting the needs of a growing urban population. As of November 30, 2017, the SHAHAR project is extended for two additional years in order to continue to partner with and support DMM; to partner with and support Kabul Municipality in the core areas of administrative efficiency, client management, rehabilitation of municipal landfills, and revenue generation; and to continue to partner with and build the capacity of the four regional hub provincial capitals of Kandahar City, Hirat, Jalalabad, and Mazar-e-Sharif to serve as regional learning hubs, providing a mechanism to continue to deliver technical assistance and training to all 20 original SHAHAR partner municipalities, while also strengthening the capacity of municipal staff and systems in the regional hub provincial municipalities.
In 2019, USAID expanded SHAHAR’s program activities to the following 10 additional municipalities: Puli Alam (Logar Province), Maydan Shahr (Maydan Wardak Province), Ghazni (Ghazni Province), Qalat (Zabul Province), Lashkar Gah (Helmand Province), Aybak (Samangan Province), Maymana (Faryab Province), Qala-I-Naw (Badghis Province), Chaharikar (Parwan Province), and Puli Khumri (Baghlan Province).
The Regional Gender/Youth and Outreach Advisor will be responsible for managing the SHAHAR activities in the target regional municipalities related to building the capacity of municipal officials and to effectively organize outreach activities by Sr. Gender/Youth and Outreach Advisors embedded in municipalities. S/he will be physically located in the regional office (Municipality) of South region and will provide mentorship, facilitation, training, and other technical assistance as needed to the SHAHAR embedded and municipality staff and officials.
Requires travel to provinces:
Relevant work experience with or in Afghanistan governance structures (either municipal, subnational or national), particularly in the areas of community outreach, gender and youth related activities in Afghanistan.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The Regional Gender/Youth and Outreach Advisor’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist SHAHAR’s Embedded Advisors in providing on-the-job coaching to and mentor municipal officials in community outreach.
- Contribute to the design of a customized capacity building plan in areas of citizen consultation, communications, women and youth initiatives.
- Support SHAHAR’s Embedded Advisors in development, enhancement, update and implementation of a Gender Mainstreaming Action Plan for the municipalities in their region.
- Assist SHAHAR’s Embedded Advisors to support Municipal Advisory Boards in the development and updating of MAB Capacity Building Plans.
- Annually help assess capacity building progress in community outreach, making adjustments accordingly.
- Identify factors limiting the development and implementation of standard operating procedures (SOPs) as pertains to community outreach. Identify and take steps to resolve limiting factors.
- Serve as a technical resource to support the establishment and regular convening of the Regional MAB Networks and Women MAB Members’ Networks within the South region in order to create forums for these officials to share best practices, innovative ideas and identify solutions for common challenges.
- Coordinate with the Sr. IFMS/ICT Advisor on activities related to the development of the municipal smart phone application.
- Assist SHAHAR’s Embedded Advisors to support the implementation of Women Friendly Cities Program.
- Assist SHAHAR’s Embedded Advisors to support the engagement of civil society with municipalities.
- Coordinate with other SHAHAR advisors to ensure seamless support across all municipal functions, especially where areas of responsibility overlap;
- Other duties as assigned.
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kandahar
- Bachelor’s degree with 5 years relevant work experience with or in Afghanistan governance structures (either municipal, subnational or national), particularly in the areas of community outreach, gender and youth related activities in Afghanistan.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills;
- Experience providing institutional and capacity building/strengthening through training, mentorship, and facilitating;
- Strong analytical skills with good problem solving skills & creativity, supported by good writing skills.
- Fluent in Dari and/or Pashto and strong written and spoken English skills (FSI 3S/3R) required.
- Previous experience and familiarity working in South region, Afghanistan
Submission Guidelines:Please submit you application with subject line = Regional Gender/Youth and Outreach Advisor-Kanadhar before 22-May-19.