|Date Posted:||Mar 15, 2010|
|Closing Date:||Mar 29, 2010|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||150000 - 200000 USD undefinedUSD|
|Years of Experience:||5 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
|Possibility of Contract Extension:||No|
|Probation Period:||1 month|
The Field Operations Manager (FOM) is a member of the Senior Management Team and is based at the PMO is Kabul with at least 50% of time spent travelling to, and working with, Provincial Offices throughout Afghanistan.
The FOM shall lead and manage the practical roll-out of the program through the establishment of Provincial Offices (POs) throughout Afghanistan and the start-up of field operations.
Once full field operations are established the FOM shall work with Provincial Managers to prepare and implement work plans in accordance with program goals and objectives. The FOM shall act as the key manager to facilitate the communications and working relationship between POs and the PMO in Kabul and as such shall travel on a very regular basis to all Provincial Offices to monitor progress and work with provincial teams to facilitate problem-solving and a solution based environment.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manage the implementation of the Pilot Projects in Parwan, Bamiyan and Balkh Provinces at the PMO level during the PPF Phase of AREDP Development by working with the PO Manager in Charikar and Technical Support Office to develop work-plans for the implementation activities, orientate and train PO staff, implement activities and understand lessons learnt to be incorporated as modifications of program implementation methodologies developed to date. Includes planning and follow-up the provision of the support inputs required from all Offices and Units of the PMO in Kabul to provide technical advice and mentoring during the initiation of the Pilot Project, and regular hands-on field work with the Parwan AREDP team;
- In coordination with the Senior Management Team and Provincial Managers, plan and prepare quarterly, six-monthly and annual work plans for the implementation of the project activities throughout Afghanistan via program implementation teams based in Provincial Offices;
- Spend 50% of time travelling to Provincial Offices to review the progress of implementation and plan future activities in-line with quarterly, six-monthly and annual work plans;
- Develop effective working relationships with Provincial Managers and act as the focal point for POs to address program implementation issues all problems to Senior Management of AREDP at the PMO;
- Provide support and mentoring to the Provincial Managers to develop their program implementation skills, capacities and performance;
- Coordinate and work with the Technical Support Office of the PMO to plan and ensure the delivery of up-to-date technical services for latest best project implementation practices to field operations;
- Coordinate and work with the Technical Support Office to plan and ensure regular and accurate monitoring and evaluation of the program;
- Work to ensure that the Program incorporates M and E results and lessons learnt from field operations towards to improve and develop program implementation strategies, methodologies, and results;
- Plan and facilitate regular field visits by PMO staff to Provincial Offices and examples to ensure familiarity with the day-to-day program implementation of field operations;
- Performs other tasks and assignments as required.
The successful candidate will be able to work without direct supervision, pay attention to detail and will exhibit personal commitment, drive for results, efficiency, flexibility, respect for diversity, creative thinking and problem solving.
- 5 years relevant professional experience managing operations for development projects Afghanistan for NGOs; GoA; development agencies or consultancies; or the UN;
- Proven experience preparing the detailed work plans for the implementation of development operations in Afghanistan;
- Well developed knowledge of the geography and the diverse cultural/religious characteristics of communities across Afghanistan;
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience working with program/project budgets;
- Knowledge and experience in rural enterprise development programs and implementation is preferable;
- Qualification: A university degree in a related field (Business Administration, Economics, Engineering, Science), in lieu of a degree at least 10 years experience in managing development projects would be acceptable;
- Professionalism â€“ an understanding of project cycle planning and implementation of development activities in Afghanistan; analytical skills, including the ability to analyze reporting and develop action plans and develop recommendations on all aspects of development operations and related issues; ability to obtain information, demonstrated ability to apply good judgment in the context of assignments given;
- Planning and Organizing - Ability to plan action plans for medium to large organisations and manage demanding and conflicting priorities;
- Management â€“ Ability build constructive working relationships with multiple sub-managers, plan, direct and manage sub-managers; and contribute to the performance evaluation and skills/capacity building development ;
- Communications â€“ Excellent communication (spoken and written) skills, including ability to explain and present procurement-related information/requirements and prepare written documents/communications in a clear, concise style;
- Technology Awareness - Highly developed computer skills using Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and the Internet, and excellent database management skills;
- Teamwork â€“ Superior interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity;
- Fluency in written and spoken Dari/Pashto, and fluency in English (listening, reading, writing, and speaking) required;
- Ability to build and sustain effective work relationship with clients, partners, peers and subordinates and peers to achieve common goals;
- Ability to multi-task, be flexible, and effectively lead a team in a high pressure working environment;
- Professionalism in appearance and demeanour;
- Willingness to enhance knowledge through training and personal initiative;
- Willingness and ability to travel in rural areas of Afghanistan.
4.0 Reporting relationships
Reports to the Head of Program.
5.0 Period of Assignment
The position is for at least 12 months and is normally expected to be extend (the initial period of 6 months shall be contracted under the World Bank financed PPF Grant Agreement).