|Date Posted:||May 16, 2017|
|Closing Date:||May 20, 2017|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||Salary is negotiableNone|
|Years of Experience:||5 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Open Ended|
Afghanaid is a British-registered international NGO, which has worked in Afghanistan for over 30 years. We assist community-driven processes that address the rights and fundamental needs of people in some of the most remote areas of Afghanistan, providing basic services, supporting development of rural livelihoods and responding to humanitarian emergencies. We are headquartered in Kabul, and operate 20 provincial and district offices across Badakhshan (north-eastern region), Samangan (northern region) and Ghor (western region), as well as a Marketing and Fundraising office in London. We employ around 160 personnel, 97% of whom are Afghans.
The Finance & Operations Manager works alongside Programme Managers to provide professional and timely financial, administrative, logistical and human resource management support. As a senior member of the Provincial Senior Management Team (SMT), the post holder is responsible for the smooth running of day-to-day finance and operations tasks in line with established policies and procedures; analysis of systems and processes and making recommendations for continuous improvement.
Provinces to travel:
Duties & Responsibilities:
Finance/Accounting & Treasury:
1. Ensure that sufficient cash is available to meet immediate operational needs at provincial and district level in close collaboration with project managers and coordinators as well as Head Office finance.
2. Check and verify forms and vouchers to ensure that they are properly completed; the required supporting documents are attached; all donor, organisational and statutory requirements are complied with and that they are duly approved in line with the approval authority limits in place.
3. Ensure that expenditure is coded and captured correctly in the accounting system in terms of amounts, budget codes/lines, general ledger codes, project codes as well as any other analysis codes as may be applicable.
4. Maintain cash controls such as regular cash counting and ensure that cash in hand and bank accounts are reconciled at least once a month.
5. Maintain and monitor staff and supplier accounts to ensure that correct balances are reflected in the financial management system.
6. Conduct physical verification of assets at provincial and district levels as well as facilitate their disposal/write-off in line with organisational policy and the Afghanistan NGO law.
7. Ensure a fair and equitable charging of common/shared costs among projects based on cost allocation methodologies in line with Afghanaid and donor policies.
8. Ensure timely submission of tax returns for the province.
9. Promptly assist Programme Managers and PDRM personnel in the development proposal and operational budgets.
10. Provide Programme Managers with complete, timely, accurate and reliable financial information as well as discuss financial reports; establish and monitor follow-up action plans with them.
11. Implement necessary corrective actions against the internal control weaknesses identified in the internal and external audits reports.
12. Liaise with Head Office staff regarding provincial financial matters.
Job Location:Afghanistan, Logar
Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting or related discipline and studying towards a professional accounting qualification.
More than 5 years of professional experience in finance and operations management of which at least 2 years should be in a management position.
Professional Skills, Competencies, Values and Attitudes
Afghanaid seeks a responsible and dependable finance & operations team leader with strong initiative, judgment and adaptability as well as excellent skills in communication, organisational, interpersonal relations, decision-making, financial management and reporting.
Specifically, the holder of this position should also demonstrate the following:
a. Proficiency in computer software including Accounting Packages, MS Office etc.
b. Working knowledge of budget development, monitoring & control as well as financial reporting and analysis.
c. Advanced knowledge of internal controls and donor rules and regulations
d. Ability to deal with difficult, often challenging work situations.
e. Behavioural role model for peers and fellow team members.
f. Competent to work with significant levels of autonomy and able to meet tight deadlines.
g. A results-oriented approach to delivering work priorities in personal workload,
h. Creative and innovative in conceptual and analytical thinking
i. Sensitivity to gender issues.
j. Fluent in Dari, Pashto and English (written and oral).
k. Personal integrity, sense of humour, intuitive and self-motivation
l. Knowledge of personal strengths and weaknesses, active listener