|Date Posted:||Nov 3, 2019|
|Closing Date:||Nov 17, 2019|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||As per company salary scaleAF|
|Years of Experience:||1 - 2 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
|Probation Period:||1 month|
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) promotes socially and environmentally sustainable human settlements development and the achievement of adequate shelter for all. It is the lead agency within the UN system for coordinating activities in the field of cities and other human settlements. Through drawing together cooperation with committed partners, relevant stakeholders, and urban actors, including at all levels of government as well as the private sector, UN-Habitat is applying its technical expertise, normative work and capacity development to implement the New Urban Agenda and Sustainable Development Goal 11 – to make cities inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable.
UN-Habitat established a presence in Afghanistan early 1992.The overarching vision of UN-Habitat’s work in Afghanistan is for prosperous, inclusive and equitable human settlements that reduce poverty and contribute to national stability and development. The mission of the UN-Habitat Country Programme is to transform lives through enhancing access to urban land, housing and services, while making systems and institutions responsive to people’s views and needs.
UN-Habitat’s Country Programme Strategy 2016-2019 is focused on three thematic focus areas:
- Planned and Well-Governed Settlements to enhance the government’s capacity to guide the development of human settlements in a participatory, equitable and accountable manner while ensuring access to basic services;
- Inclusive Settlements to improve access to affordable land and housing, services and infrastructure for all residents of human settlements with a focus on poor and female-headed households, including IDPs and returnees.; and
- Prosperous Settlements to contribute to towns and cities being hubs of economic activity that generate sustainable employment and enable residents-particularly the young ─ to acquire productive skills.
Integral to each of these Focus Areas are cross-cutting issues of gender, youth, and development of national capacity, environmental protection and disaster risk reduction.
UN-HABITAT has presence in 10 provinces of the country, including five major cities and works in implementing its strategy through six programmes: Afghanistan Urban Peace building Programme (AUPP), Clean and Green Cities (CGC), City for All (K-SMNP and MGSP), and SHURA, Operations Division and Knowledge Management Unit (KMU).
Specifically, Duties and Responsibilities include
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the posts advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required.
Good computer skills and fluency in MS Office package, email programmes and web applications; Conversant knowledge of Umoja a clear advantage; Knowledge of database systems are considered an asset. The candidate must be able to work independently with a high degree of responsibility and with minimal supervision. She/he should be able to produce well organized, complete, properly formatted and accurate reports and maintain a complete and systematic filing system and archive, should be able to operate in a flexible and cooperative manner and should be able to perform her/his duties often under pressure and according to deadlines. The candidate should demonstrate willingness to learn new technologies. Familiarity with multi-lingual, multi-national working environments would be an asset.
Duties & Responsibilities:
· Assist in review, monitoring, tracking and analysis of system transactions on daily basis and making corrections as appropriate.
· Assist in budget review, prepare budget revisions as and when required and inputting the same in the system.
· Assist in Donor, management and year-end financial reporting.
· Maintain and process all project relevant information in Umoja.
· Assist in generating budgetary and financing reports, including statistical/financial data tables, charts and spreadsheets using office software and templates.
· Assist in review and reconcile various clearing accounts to ensure appropriate balances. Investigate erroneous/invalid entries and take appropriate corrective accounting action.
· Raise necessary obligation documents for contracts, travel etc. and prepare both payment and expenditure reports; and follow up
· Analyze staff and vendor accounts and take required action to clear outstanding receivable and payable transactions.
· Assist in the processing of payments to local vendors for good and services. This includes amongst other things, calculating, inputting, and checking payments for correctness and communicating discrepancies to supervisor.
· Assist in processing payments to staff members for their entitlements including salaries, claims and other allowances locally.
· Respond to queries from staff members and third parties.
- Creation and peer review of various transactional document in Umoja system.
- Follow up with various office for approval of document created in the system
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
· Professionalism: Knowledge of, and ability to apply financial rules, regulations and procedures in the UN environment. Ability to maintain accurate records, review and interpret a wide variety of data. Ability to identify and resolve data discrepancies and operational problems. Shows pride in work and in achievements; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; Remains calm in stressful situations.
·Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; Is willing to learn from others; Places team agenda before personal agenda; Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; Monitors on going developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kabul
a) Completion of first year degree is required. Additional technical training in the field of accounting/finance (CPA, ACCA etc), administration/statistics or directly related fields is required.
b) At least two years of relevant experience in related fields is required.
c) Very good knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint) is desirable.
d) Experience in handling of web-based management systems and strong knowledge of UN Umoja system a distinct advantage.