|Date Posted:||Aug 6, 2019|
|Closing Date:||Aug 20, 2019|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||As per NTA salary scale policyAF|
|Years of Experience:||5 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Open Ended|
|Probation Period:||6 months|
About Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan:
The Eshtighal Zaiee – Karmondena (Ez-Kar) Program is currently under preparation and is expected to be officially launched by November 2018.
The Ez-Kar program is an inter-ministerial effort to improve economic opportunities in cities where there is a high influx of displaced people. Once the program is effective, investments will be made on interventions ranging from the provision of short term daily wage work for vulnerable households to medium and longer-term support for refugee repatriation, support of regulatory reforms and market facilitating infrastructure that will improve the enabling environment for the private sector in cities.
The project design as mentioned above will include multiple implementing agencies namely Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA), Kabul municipality and Independent Directorate of Local Governance (IDLG). At the central level, Ministry of Economy (MoEC) will serve as the lead line Ministry responsible for inter-ministerial coordination among stakeholders within the Government, with the World Bank and other donors, carry out overall management and project oversight across the Implementing Agencies (IAs) and other relevant agencies that are a part of the wider migration response strategy under Displacement and Returnee Executive Committee (DiREC).
The project scope will be in 12 cities i.e Baghlan, Faryab, Ghor, Herat, Ningarhar, Kabul, Kandahar, Khost, Kunar, Kunduz, Laghman and Takhar province. Project support will be allocated based on the population size of the city (hosting dimension) and the number of displaced families.
e Islamic Republic of Afghanistan
Senior Financial specialist will have the overall responsibility to ensure that financial management arrangements of the Ez-Kar World Bank funded project is maintained in accordance with legal agreements and relevant World Bank, MoEC and government guidelines and procedures.
Requires travel to provinces:
Duties & Responsibilities:
General Management and Leadership
· Serve as the primary point of contact for the World Bank on all financial management and disbursement matters
· Coach and mentor FM and other project staff on financial management.
· Keep MoFA and MoEc management abreast the latest developments and issues in financial management.
· Participate in relevant project meetings and progress reviews, and advise MoFA and MoEC management on all financial matters, as and when required.
· Implement a financial management information system for accounting and reporting of EZ-Kar program.
· Prepare a detailed chart of account to be used for EZ-Kar program that facilitates accounting and reporting with multiple dimensions.
Budgeting and Planning
· Support the project teams in preparation of annual Work Plans and prepare annual Cash Plans and cash forecasts based on Work Plans.
· In accordance with government and MoFA rules and regulations, prepare annual budget estimates based on Work Plan/Cash Plan and submit to MOF and relevant forum for approval.
· Prepare annual and quarterly disbursement forecasts for all components of the project in line with project’s procurement plan and Work Plan/Cash Plan.
· Ensure that the Special Accounts to be established for the project for MoFA is administered in accordance with WB and MoF requirements.
· Prepare realistic cash forecasts on quarterly basis in close coordination with sector specialists and submit to the donor for advance and replenishment of advance.
· Prepare and process withdrawal application in accordance with the Bank’s Disbursement Guidelines & Procedures for drawing funds from the assignment accounts opened for each component.
· Track funds and follow up with MoFA finance directorate and the World Bank to ensure availability of funds.
· Periodically, and at least quarterly, reconcile project records with WB Client Connection records relating to disbursements from the WB grant.
· Liaise effectively as needed with MoF Budget and Treasury departments for smooth processing of project payments.
· Ensure compliance with internal control framework (Operations Manual, Financial Management Manual, SOPs and the Bank’s fiduciary guidelines etc.) and government rules and procedures while processing payments
· Ensure budget availability before processing any transaction; and that applicable sanctioning and approval procedures are followed.
· Apply pre-audit checks on all payments before payment from the assignment accounts.
· Ensure that No Objection Letter (NOL) is obtained from the Bank for every prior review activity before processing any payment.
· Manage financial aspects of the contracts under administration, including payment terms, purchase orders and variation orders.
Accounting and Record Management
· Record all transactions in timely and accurate manner in books of accounts and ensure that no expenditure remained unaccounted.
· Maintain accounts on cash basis as per government and MoFA accounting procedure.
· Oversee the process of entering transaction level data in the financial management system and generating vouchers from the system
· Ensure up-to-date maintenance of adequate registers, books of accounts and records in appropriate order and format to meet the government and donors’ requirements and to facilitate classification and analysing the financial information for monitoring the projects progress.
· Prepare supplementary record which provides timely and up-to-date financial information of contracts.
· Maintain imprest of petty cash and ensure separate petty cash book and petty cash vouchers are maintained.
· Prepare monthly bank reconciliation statements of the designated/special account.
· Be the payroll manager, responsible for accurate and timely payment of salaries of staff. Prepare and process monthly payroll and obtain management approval prior to making any payment under salaries.
· Ensure that the fixed assets records are maintained for the projects identifying location and user of each asset and arrange for the annual and periodical inventory of the assets and updating of the records.
· Ensure safe custody of all financial records for review by Bank Missions, third party monitoring agents; and external & internal auditors.
· Ensure that project transactions are reconciled periodically with AFMIS data and MoFA’s bank statements, at least on a monthly basis.
Financial Reporting and Skills
· Prepare periodic financial reports for each project and submit to the management for review and approval.
· Ensure that annual financial statements and other monthly and quarterly reports as specified under the Financing Agreement and as per recommended/suggested by Bank supervision missions are accurately prepared and timely submitted.
· Define and produce other financial reports, as and when required by the management.
· Effective at maintaining and following established filing systems and protocols
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
· Ability to work in a fast-paced, stressful environment
· Ability to exhibit strong commitment in the relevant disciplines
· Excellent written and oral communication skills in English Dari and Pashto.
· Ability to work with and be a partner of a team.
· Ability to work efficiently and to meet deadlines
· Ability to function effectively in a team environment inspiring trust and cooperation of other
· Ability to analyse complex issues and develop alternative solutions;
· Ability to prepare written reports and make recommendations; make oral presentations to a variety of audiences in finance and budget related topics;
· Working knowledge of World Bank and GIRoA financial management systems is desirable.
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kabul
· A professional accounting qualification (CA/ACCA/CPA) or a Master’s Degree in finance, economics, commerce or accounting from a reputable university.
· At least five years financial management or audit experience with 3 years’ experience as FMS or higher position in a large organization or donor funded project’
· Analytical ability, practical problem-solving skills and resourcefulness in performing varied tasks in the area;
· Demonstrated skills in retrieving, gathering and obtaining information from various sources;
· Sound organizational skills and ability to prioritize and deliver assignments in a timely manner often under severe time pressures;
· Demonstrated initiative in developing practical approaches that improve efficiency and effectiveness of the project;
· Strong inter-personnel skills and commitment to work in a team-oriented, multi-cultural environment;
· Language skills: Fluent oral and written skills in English; and one of the national Language (Pashtu or Dari) is required
· Computer literacy: Proficient in PC based applications such as Word, Excel and Power Points as well sound knowledge of Financial Software etc.
· Experience in financial management of government and World Bank funded projects and ensuring regulatory compliance