|Date Posted:||Jan 11, 2020|
|Closing Date:||Jan 30, 2020|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||As per NTA salary scale policyAF|
|Years of Experience:||5 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
|Contract Type:||Service Contract|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About Ministry of Agriculture Irrigation and livestock (MAIL):
The Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL) is one of the ministries of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan. Currently, Engineer Nasir Ahmad Durrani is head of the ministry.
The ministry is working on the development and modernization of agriculture, livestock and horticulture.
Agriculture accounts for the source of livelihood of 80 percent of the country's population, and hence the Afghan Ministry of Agriculture is an institution that is continually trying to improve agriculture, increase yields, and crop farming.
The ministry launches programs in the fields of agriculture, livestock and horticulture to support the farmers, manage natural resources, and strengthen agricultural economics. Ministry of Agriculture's programs include promotion and introduction of higher-value economic crops, strengthening traditional products, identifying and publishing farm-tailored land technologies, boosting cooperative programs, agricultural economics, and export with marketing.
The ministry has a large structure in the provincial centers and in each province, an agricultural directorate and in each district, there is an agricultural affairs department. These institutions work to improve and modernize cultivation practices, increase crops, improve gardening, educate farmers, gardeners and livestock, and artificial insemination of animals and increase dairy products.
Afghanistan is a mountainous country with vast deserts and brilliant history of several millennia.
Its geographic location and topography is comparable only with a limited number of Asian countries.
The geographic shape of the Afghanistan begins from low levels and rise to high altitudes, finally reaching the “Roof of the World”; this shows that this geography has different ecosystems, changing of the ecosystems causes beauty and attractiveness in our land.
Proper weather is one of the important characteristics which has given Afghanistan a specific features.
Our country is now under construction; these efforts is going on with the cooperation of hard-working people, agriculture forms one of the important areas of it.
The first agricultural management was created during reign of King Amanullah Khan in 1919; during the reign of king Habibullah Khan and after that a series of measures was adopted for agricultural development.
The measures taken by the Ministry of Commerce from 1918-1937 in the field of agriculture, reforestation, construction of rivers, planting of trees, formation of experimental agricultural farms, nurseries and others are as follow:
1. Construction of dams and excavation of canals from 1918- 1931.
2. Creation of first independent directorate of agriculture in 1937.
3. Creation of Ministry of Agriculture in 1948.
Renaming of Ministry of Agriculture to Ministry of Agriculture and Irrigation in 1960
The Fruit Production and Commercial Orchards Specialist will be responsible for all horticulture related activities of the horticultural projects coordinator supervision of the Horticultural Projects coordinator. He/she will lead fruit production and commercial orchards establishment of the horticultural projects unit and provide support to central and provincial unit in term of implementing of the horticultural projects
Duties & Responsibilities:
The Fruit Production and Commercial Orchards Specialist duties will include but will not be limited to the following:
· Analyze the current situation of the horticulture sector in project target provinces and propose strong and feasible recommendations to overcome the fruit production and commercial orchards establishment challenges.
· Assist Head of Horticultural Projects Implementation Unit in developing annual program implementation plans in relation to the commercial orchards level
· Implement and supervise project activities in the target areas in consultation with the local stakeholders and communities;
· Ensure that the project target is achieved within the project timeline and approved budget;
· Coordination with the horticulture technical team, assist in the identification of priority establishment of commercial orchards farmers to be supported under the project.
· Identify the most appropriate technologies for commercial orchards establishment.
· In consultation with the associated gardeners, support NGO facilitation partner efforts to identify investments on commercial orchards;
· Support coordination during analysis and establishment of commercial orchards, manage and present the data according to the workshops and participants needs.
· Ensure the technical feasibility of the sub-projects for estimating financial returns on the investment;
· Ensure regular monitoring of project activities against work plans and objectives of the project;
· Develop work progress reports on weekly, monthly, quarterly and annually basis and also preparing of video/audio clips scrip, brochures, training materials and submit directly to the Head of Horticultural Projects Implementation Unit;
· Train farmers on GAP, orchard floor management, composting
· Undertake other duties and responsibilities delegated by the Head of Horticultural Projects Implementation Unit and Horticulture Development Department.
At least bachelor’s degree in horticulture from an recognized university with minimum five years’ work experience in horticulture sector, and with Master’s degree three years relevant experience is a must; Experience in market research, implementing fruit production, commercial orchards establishment and other relevant development projects;
· Strong report-writing skills in English, Dari and Pashto;
· Able to enter data into computer (proficient in Word and Excel is must);
· Fluency in the National Languages as well as English;
· Capacity to interact with policy planners, senior officials of government
· Outstanding analytical skills.
· Ability to present coherent and convincing positions both in writing and orally;