|Date Posted:||May 12, 2020|
|Closing Date:||May 26, 2020|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||NTA, Grade CAF|
|Years of Experience:||5 - 6 Years|
|Contract Duration:||1 year(s)|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About Kabul Municipality:
The Kabul Municipality (KM) has received a grant from the World Bank toward the cost of the proposed Kabul Municipal Development Project (KMDP). That builds upon the now closed Kabul Urban Reconstruction Project (KURP) which financed upgrading similar to the works envisaged under the proposed project.
The Kabul Municipality is responsible for implementing Kabul Municipal Development program (KMDP) and Eshteghal Zaiee Karmondena (EZ-KAR) Project on behalf of the Government of Islamic Republic of Afghanistan. The primary focus of the KMDP is to increase access to basic municipal services in selected residential areas of Kabul City and strengthen municipal finance management of Kabul Municipality and the project development objective of EZ-KAR is to strengthen the enabling environment for economic opportunities in cities (including Kabul city) where there is a high influx of displaced people through various interventions including provision of short-term employment opportunities and increasing access of the returnees to civil documents, improving market enabling infrastructure and supporting investor friendly regulatory reforms.
The KMDP components are to: (i) Increase access to basic municipal services through investments in critical infrastructure in selected residential areas of Kabul; (ii) redesign KM’s Financial Management system to support better service delivery when reforms are implemented. In the event of an eligible emergency or crisis, this operation will also enable early emergency response through the provision of a quick access to funding.
The EZ-KAR components are to (i) Support for Afghan Refugees in Pakistan, (ii) Short the term employment opportunities and market enabling infrastructure under IDLG, (iii) Prioritized urban investments in four provincial capital cities, (iv) Market enabling infrastructure and reforms for Kabul Municipality and (v) Project Management, Implementation support and national regulatory reforms.
The PIU at KM intends to hire a Gender Specialist to support the work of the Kabul Municipal Development Program (KMDP). Under the overall supervision of the KMDP director and direct supervision of Senior Environmental and Social Safeguard Specialist, she will be responsible to support the KMDP environmental and social team to guide KMDP offices in to ensure the needs and priorities of marginalized groups such as women, children, elderly, people with disability, are addressed and met, as well as their capacities in regard to risk reduction is recognized. She will lead and identify key entry points and strategic approaches to address gender issues with a view to ensure gender inclusive analysis in KMDP program/project intervention and other related tasks which will recommend by senior environmental and social safeguard specialist.
- Understanding of environmental and social safeguard framework and policies of WBG.
- Good understanding of the country’s gender context.
- Experience in designing and implementing gender analyses and gender assessments (including collecting and analyzing data).
- In-depth understanding of international development processes, actors, cultural sensitivities, community outreach approaches, and client cultures.
- Experience in designing and facilitating different types of meetings and workshops using a variety of participatory, adult-learning methodologies and approaches.
- Excellent interpersonal communications and coordination skills, and proven ability to work constructively with a variety of stakeholders to achieve common goals
- Sound organizational skills and ability to prioritize and deliver assignments in a timely manner often under severe time pressures.
- Experience of community based development projects preferably in an urban context
- Ability to work under pressure and work extra hours when required.
- Direct work experience with the World Bank funded projects.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Specific responsibilities and duties include; (a) to ensure that where possible women are included in the program through consultation on each projects under KMDP (b) Direct participation in the work labor contribution and in the selection of beneficiaries and (c) Advises Senior ESSS on gender policies and trends and relevant linkages to KMDP program. The Gender Specialist has to support the Senior Environmental and Social Safeguard Specialist at KMDP on overall GRM duties and will be responsible for, but not limited to, the following tasks:
- Ensure all activities and interventions under the KMDP and EZ-KAR component-4 are gender-sensitive including enough consideration to inclusion of marginalized groups such as women and youth.
- Based on the KMDP and EZ-KAR component-4 objective and operations, develop a Gender Action Plan including actions and measures to enhance gender inclusiveness in the project activities, monitoring and evaluation measures and tools, and targets with clear timeframes.
- Overall enhance inclusiveness and equity between men and women in accessing opportunities and benefits provided under KMDP while preventing and mitigation of potential adverse impacts related to gender.
- Ensure compliance with and integration of provisions of the national framework and world bank policies related to gender into the project activities and implementation.
- As much as possible, keep track of the sex-disaggregated data throughout the project implementation and prepare gender progress reports to present during the World Bank ISMs (Implementation Support Missions) on the progress made toward gender front in the project.
- Promote female staffing under the project to ensure the project recruits merited and qualified female candidates as a measure of gender-balanced staffing while applying the positive discriminatory provisions of IARCSC’s policy on increasing women in the civil service.
- Review and provide comments on the various project documents including social impact assessments, training manuals, social safeguards documents, and any other relevant studies/assessment have enough provisions to assess the impacts on women, in other words, are enough gender sensitive.
- Compilation, analysis and interpretation of gender and GBV issues and statistical data, thorough research and preparation of top-quality analysis and reports.
- Facilitate knowledge building and mainstreaming of gender team in KMDP and project areas.
- Develop realistic and pragmatic gender strategy and provide guidance on proper implementation of the program interventions to achieve the desired outcome on KMDP.
- Monitor and provide guidance on tracking and reporting against gender indicators set in the project appraisal document (PAD) and ensure collection of disaggregated data by sex to analyze results within each domain.
- Conduct gender assessments, reviews and audits to assess ways to ensure involvement of women in project specific activities.
- Organize regular meetings with PAFs (Project Affected Families) on gender related issues, their performance, and progress on the ground.
- Develop tools, frameworks and resources to enable better gender integration in the project.
- Develop and conduct anti-harassment strategy, and mechanisms in coordination with the Gender counterpart of the WBG to raise awareness about the issue and have systems in place to tackle when cases arise including development of a proper Code of Conduct for both employees and laborers hired under the project.
- Conduct gender awareness and mainstreaming trainings with the help of the Senior Environmental and Social Safeguard Specialist (SESSS) for KMDP core staff, as well as the KM and other relevant entities’ staff.
- Take into account gender and identify current institutional strengths and capacity gaps and consult the project stakeholders regarding grievances redress mechanism (GRM) and gender based violence (GBV).
- Facilitate the establishment of women-only GRCs (Grievance Redress Committee), including project level/ community level GRCs to handle grievances. Preparing the proper scope of work for women GRCs members with close coordination of GRM specialist.
- Facilitate focus group discussions, key informant interviews and community survey for assessing socio-economic needs of the communities.
- Assist environmental and social team during preparation of site specific Environmental and Social Management Plan (ESMP) with associated plans (labor influx risk mitigation plans, GBV plan and gender empowerment plan.
- Conduct consultation meetings with relevant stakeholders and communities to discuss site-specific Gender issues of the project and get their feedbacks to refine the project ESMP(s).
- Close coordination with environmental and social team and other related departments colleagues.
- Close coordination with the gender colleagues of other EZ-KAR components based in other entities including MoEc, MOFA, and IDLG.
- Provide monthly, quarterly and yearly gender activities under KMDP reports to SESSS.
- And any other task given by the senior environmental and social safeguard specialist or Head of PIU.
The Social Safeguard and Gender Specialist reports to the Senior Environmental and Social Safeguard Specialist (SESSS) and works closely with KMDP environmental and social team members, ESSS specialist, GRM Specialist, technical unit colleagues, procurement and contract management teams in liaison with the SESSS to ensure that all project related tasks implemented.
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kabul
- Bachelor’s degree in social science, gender or any other related field with 5 years of relevant experience. Experience with World bank or any other internal organization in the similar filed will be a comparative advantage.
- At least five (5) years of demonstrated experience in support of knowledge management, stakeholder’s engagement, monitoring and evaluation, gender, social safeguard communication and other similar performance of the tasks described above.
- Full computer literacy in internet searching and Microsoft Office programs i.e. MS-Word, MS-Excel, MS-Power Point.
- Being fluent in English language; and should have good command on both national languages (Dari and Pashto).